Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Views on Jaguar IPace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was after a large EV SUV I cant think anything else i'd have than an Ipace for the money. Model X is 10k+ more, EQC and E-tron seem to be inferior according to reviews and model Y isn't here yet. For 380 a month in total it would seem to be a no brainer, esp as an ICE car will inflict BIK on you. The new Volvo XC40 recharge might also be a contender, esp as from first glance it seems to have polestar 2 underpinnings (or does a polestar 2 have XC40 underpinnings) so looks to be a worthy alternative.

Had a good look at an I Pace this afternoon, an acquaintance stopped by for a chat in the lane when he spotted me installing a new charge point at the side of our drive. Haven't seen him for ages (because of this plague) but it turns out he bought the I Pace almost exactly a year ago. Couldn't go for a drive in it, but have to say I was more impressed by it than I thought I would be. It's also a bit smaller than I thought, obviously taller than the Model 3, but it's about the same length and width, and nowhere near as massive-looking as the Model X.

Chatting to him, it seems that it's performance and energy use isn't that far off that of the Model 3 LR either. I'd always thought that the I Pace was very inefficient, but I get the feeling that the real world difference between the Model 3 and the I Pace may not be as great as some reviews seem to make out. Could be that he, like me, tends to drive on mainly rural A and B roads, as I suspect motorway cruising will probably take it's toll to a greater extent on the I Pace.

It's not a car that I'd thought about as a possible replacement for the Model 3, but is certainly one that I'll look more seriously at, even though it's priced a bit higher than I'd like. The one niggle at the back of my mind is that the one and only Jaguar I've ever owned (a three year old XJ-S I bought in 1992) was, without a shadow of doubt, the worst car I've ever owned. Something went wrong every few days, from trim panels that just dropped off (because they'd never been properly fastened in place) to more electrical gremlins than I could shake a stick at (always dirty/corroded connectors). Hopefully Jaguar have improved in the intervening 30 years or so . . .

[QUOTE="It's not a car that I'd thought about as a possible replacement for the Model 3, but is certainly one that I'll look more seriously at, even though it's priced a bit higher than I'd like. The one niggle at the back of my mind is that the one and only Jaguar I've ever owned (a three year old XJ-S I bought in 1992) was, without a shadow of doubt, the worst car I've ever owned. Something went wrong every few days, from trim panels that just dropped off (because they'd never been properly fastened in place) to more electrical gremlins than I could shake a stick at (always dirty/corroded connectors). Hopefully Jaguar have improved in the intervening 30 years or so . . .[/QUOTE]

It is priced higher but you will feel at home jumping from M3 to the ipace with the Jaguar reliability according to the latest JD power reliability surveys. Paint quality, trim fitment and panel alignments.

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I personally wouldn't trust a JD Power report as far as I could spit it. It's purely pay-per-play.

The I-Pace is built by Magna Steyr in Austria, so there is a chance that the quality/reliability *may* be better than a Jag built one.

The one niggle at the back of my mind is that the one and only Jaguar I've ever owned (a three year old XJ-S I bought in 1992) was, without a shadow of doubt, the worst car I've ever owned. Something went wrong every few days, from trim panels that just dropped off (because they'd never been properly fastened in place) to more electrical gremlins than I could shake a stick at (always dirty/corroded connectors).
Well, it was still essentially British Leyland if built in 1989, and in their dying years. That could explain it. Reliability improved a lot under Ford ownership a few years later.

Well, it was still essentially British Leyland if built in 1989, and in their dying years. That could explain it. Reliability improved a lot under Ford ownership a few years later.

It was, one of the last cars built before Ford took over. I always thought the absence of so many trim fastenings was down to them having run low on them before the sale to Ford . . .

Reactions: Medved_77
You will have three favourites set in your sat nav, home, work & dealer. Guess which one you’ll use more…

Thought I'd have a look at some real data on reliability, in light of the observation above about JD Power. What Car has ranked reliability directly with an owner survey, so probably fairly realistic, or at least free from obvious bias. Tesla have the curious honour of being both the most reliable and least reliable car in their electric car category. First is the Model 3, with a score of 99.4%. The Jaguar I pace comes in fifth place, with a score of 97.0%. Last is the Tesla Model S, with a score of 85.7%.

Edited to add:

Just found this alternative report of the What Car data in terms of all manufacturers, not just EVs, listed in Inside EVs: Tesla Is Third-Worst Make In What Car? Reliability Survey 2020

Out of 31 manufacturers listed, Jaguar didn't do too well, coming in 21st place, but Tesla was worse, coming in 29th place, just above Renault and Landrover (predictable that Landrover would be in last place).

Last edited:
Aside from public rapid charger issues, the big downside of the IPace is poor efficiency from what I can see.

Yes, that was my thought, too. However, chatting about it I got the impression that it's better than it seems from the reviews. It looks as if Jaguar rolled out an update last year that may have improved the efficiency a bit. The chap I was talking to yesterday reckoned he could reliably get about 240 miles from the car, which isn't great for a car with a ~84 kWH usable capacity battery, but then it is an SUV, so probably has a great deal more drag than a saloon like the Model 3.

Yes, that was my thought, too. However, chatting about it I got the impression that it's better than it seems from the reviews. It looks as if Jaguar rolled out an update last year that may have improved the efficiency a bit. The chap I was talking to yesterday reckoned he could reliably get about 240 miles from the car, which isn't great for a car with a ~84 kWH usable capacity battery, but then it is an SUV, so probably has a great deal more drag than a saloon like the Model 3.
I am sure there are good reasons for the relative inefficiency such as those you list but 340wh/mile is not what I would call "that far off that of the Model 3 LR". if he is getting that from mainly A and B road driving as you surmise then that is probably 20% worse than an M3 LR would get.

Price wise though I am guessing there are big discounts available on that high list price

Someone at work has one and I've driven that. It was comfortable, quick and well built. On the standard wheels, the wheel arches look empty with a large gap between the tyre and arch, which I personally don't like. I found the centre console a nightmare and the owner doesn't like it either. Very hard to use and understand but that could be due to user error. They have had a couple of issues on long journeys with finding chargers and then charging speeds, but for city life and charging every night at home, it's been fine. No service or maintenance issues, other than the car battery went flat once but Jaguar came out and sorted it next day.

From what I've seen the TWC is a standard type 2 charger, so yes it should be able to charge other EV's
That's good to know. I'm trying to convince the missus slowly but surely that we'll need another EV. Shes deffo concerned about the infrastructure though and until that gets better i can't see her jumping over yet.

But saying that, knowing that we have a charging source at home should give her that comfort.

I looked at the iPace, as well as the EQC and E-tron. I also considered the RWD Taycan, but it smelled of 718 Cayman and is expensive for the performance it lacks.

The iPace is nicely built and yes, Jag have improved. I put 90,000 into each of my XF 3.0l, and both were reliable, given the usual consumables. Both were very pleasant places to be and the iPace is the same.

What swung it for me was that the Tesla just looked more fun and more importantly, the SC network was a no brainer, given my mileage. A colleague has the iPace and he likes it, but seems to constantly worry about charging and the shortcomings of the wider charging network.

Nerd fact, Steyr are the largest contract vehicle manufacturer in Europe, and also built the first phase AM Rapide.

Nerd fact, Steyr are the largest contract vehicle manufacturer in Europe, and also built the first phase AM Rapide.
Actually Magna Steyr has built and/or designed many cars. They produce BMW 5-Series, Mercedes G-Class, BMW Z4, Toyota Supra as well as both E-Pace and I-Pace.
Their Canadian parent, Magna is one of the largest auto industry suppliers in the world. They also owned a battery manufacturer, sold to LG half a decade back.They have consistently ranked among the highest quality builders in the world, just not under their own names since the 1930's or so.

I have owned three Steyr-built cars, all fo which were better quality than typically associated to the brand they were sold under.

The I-Pace build quality reflects the Magna-Steyr obsession with quality. I'm considering buying one right now. If I do it will be because of Steyr, having nothing to do with my past Jaguar ownership, although my Ford built XK-8 was mostly adequate it had a strong hint of BLC.

Borrowed one for 3 days in August before picking the Tesla,
Lovely build quality, poor range of 175 on motorways with cruise on, no aircon and no speeding at all.
Nice displays , but.... having had 4 jags in past 8 years they were riddled with software problems and regular minor breakdowns.