Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Views on Jaguar IPace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through employee discount I’ve potentially got the chance to lease the I-pace HSE over 3 years , including insurance for around £380/month.
It’s a £75k car and seems like a great deal to me....
I would potentially swap my wife’s FPace for it (keeping my M3P!) but this would mean we are a total EV household.
My only apprehension would be the jump to total EV, more to think about when going long distance on holiday and the aero battery drain when I put bikes on the roof

what are your guys thoughts .... would you ?

It's a nice car. I got one myself for £400 /month and I've been driving it for nearly 2 years now. It's a bit of an electron hog (but not terrible) compared to my Model 3 and the charging infrastructure is quite poor in comparison. But I've been enjoying it for city driving and it's a very nicely constructed vehicle with pleasing handling for the size.

For longer distances be prepared for some invonveniences and give yourself plenty of time and "plan B" routes just in case. I think you could manage being an all-EV household. I've lived with EVs of various sorts for 5 years and could never go back to ICE. Even if the occasional long-distance trips are less convenient I've always found them doable and it's a worthy compromise to make.

My wife was interested in the e-pace (she has range anxiety even in ICE - refuels as soon as it get towards 1/2 a tank). I hope the i-pace has a different cockpit because when i test drove the e-pace I had to abandon my go on safety grounds because there wasn't enough bulkhead room for my size 14's to get from accelerator to brake fast enough in an emergency and I could potentially wedge my shoe in there.

Reactions: Ant M3
Through employee discount I’ve potentially got the chance to lease the I-pace HSE over 3 years , including insurance for around £380/month.
It’s a £75k car and seems like a great deal to me....
I would potentially swap my wife’s FPace for it (keeping my M3P!) but this would mean we are a total EV household.
My only apprehension would be the jump to total EV, more to think about when going long distance on holiday and the aero battery drain when I put bikes on the roof

what are your guys thoughts .... would you ?

that’s cheap very cheap, so probably but only if you’ve got a second car. I say that as because as noted above the range is questionable. I have a friend who bought one and he can barely get over 180 miles to it. It’s been to the dealer a few times and he’s been told that’s pretty much right. Most he’s ever got in summer is 210.

That being said the number of ionity chargers or others at services is growing so you can always charge at 50kwh but the price as you probably know isn’t cheap from
30p to 70p.

I have a two-EV household (M3P- and a BMW i3)
Our daily commute is 100 miles and around 70 miles respectively.

For the day to day use, absolutely no problems and we’re saving an estimated combined £500 per month on fuel.

For longer journeys, I agree with @EVMeister completely: have a plan B, prepare for a worst case scenario and it does need a bit more thinking but it’s perfectly doable. Totally worth the compromise, IMHO

Have any of you used a roof box or put bikes on the roof of your EV ?
I put a rear bike rack and 1 bike on my M3 and it probably affected the range by about 30% due to the drag!
reason for my question is I’m wondering if roof mounted bike racks (so now the bikes would be forward facing and therefore “more aero” than my rear rack where it’s sideways ) makes that much of a difference. If the Jag on a good day does 210, then the range with a bike on the roof could be around 140... that’s probably what concerns me the most ... but for the twice per year that happens, Is it something I can live with ?
upload_2020-10-12_7-59-50.png

My view is, do it!

I'm looking forward to the day when I/we can afford to buy a second EV. My missus not so much, she's not fully convinced but that's mainly because of the infrastructure nationally. Otherwise, the only other issue is we'd have to get a 2nd charge point or the other car has to be a 2nd hand Tesla :)

On the few long distance drives I’ve done, the Superchargers really have been invaluable and pretty much did away with any range anxiety.

I would imagine that not being able to access the Supercharger network would make that anxiety even more of a thing, as other chargers are far less reliable.

The importance of the Supercharger network at the moment is difficult to overstate and I am very impressed by the foresight that Tesla have shown in investing so strongly on a reliable charging network from the very start.

My view is, do it!

I'm looking forward to the day when I/we can afford to buy a second EV. My missus not so much, she's not fully convinced but that's mainly because of the infrastructure nationally. Otherwise, the only other issue is we'd have to get a 2nd charge point or the other car has to be a 2nd hand Tesla :)
Why cant the other EV charge from the same charger as your M3? Surely even if you have a a tesla home charger that will charge other CCS type II EV's won't it?

On the few long distance drives I’ve done, the Superchargers really have been invaluable and pretty much did away with any range anxiety.

I would imagine that not being able to access the Supercharger network would make that anxiety even more of a thing, as other chargers are far less reliable.

The importance of the Supercharger network at the moment is difficult to overstate and I am very impressed by the foresight that Tesla have shown in investing so strongly on a reliable charging network from the very start.
a Year ago getting an M3 as a sub 50k long range family car was such a no brainer with the competition being so limited.
Ipace: not enough range/too expensive
E-Niro / Kona: year long waiting list and a bit slow
I3: too small/ not enough range
Leaf: Its a Leaf
etc etc

I think they were all a bit low on boot space as well despite being hatchbacks if I recall.

Its going to be soo much harder to justify getting a Tesla next time around :)

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Don't count on it.
Your faith in Tesla / Lack of faith in the rest of the industry is touching but next time will be at least 2-3 years so it has to get a bit better by then right? I'm sure everyone will have something to compare to an MY with German build quality by then yes? right?

If I was doing it again today I would definitely have driven a Polestar but the lack of charging options + range would have meant I would still have bought an M3 in the end I imagine.
(ID3 is a bit small boot wise + LR is going to be 4 seater due to weight.)

Your faith in Tesla / Lack of faith in the rest of the industry is touching but next time will be at least 2-3 years so it has to get a bit better by then right? I'm sure everyone will have something to compare to an MY with German build quality by then yes? right?

If I was doing it again today I would definitely have driven a Polestar but the lack of charging options + range would have meant I would still have bought an M3 in the end I imagine.
(ID3 is a bit small boot wise + LR is going to be 4 seater due to weight.)

It's not touching, it's born through experience of over 5 years driving EVs and using infrastructure. Closely following what is happening plus the future plans of Tesla vs. others. I could say a lot more but let's keep things on topic for this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
Its going to be soo much harder to justify getting a Tesla next time around :)

You assume Tesla are going to rest on their laurels and the current offer will be the “status quo”

Whilst that is, of course, possible I find it extremely unlikely.
Tesla have a dramatic advantage which they are unlikely to lose during this decade.

Thats a GREAT deal on the ipace - waaaaay cheaper than BCH on the fully spec'd HSE we looked at, ex insurance.....
For me the tesla superchargers are the winners, but for city driving and shorter drives with a charger at work/home it would be grand and really stunning inside - I just prefer the clean sharp tech of the M3 (and it was cheaper! with more range)

The ipace is a nice car, one of the best looking EV's in my opinion. My only concern would be range especially if your wife has anxiety with an ICE. As long as she only has a short daily distance and can charge every day/second day then I would think it would be fine. Everyone mentions the car's max range which is fine, but real life range can be quite low especially in the winter when you take into account you can only really use around 70% of that range if charging to 85% and not letting it get much below 15% to preserve the battery (although if its a lease long term battery condition is not really your issue). I wouldn't let something you do twice a year put you off getting a car, just factor in an extra charging stop for these rare occasions.

Reactions: Neilio and Ant M3