Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs from GIGA Texas Tracking. Who will be first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I work at Tesla and control this I’m randomly screwing with people now. Seriously… move somebody’s EDD by an hour and it starts 3 threads about if I am getting it from Austin. Change a hundred people to TBD and the internet crashes. 😂😂
There is no way to win for Tesla and their notification system.

Update when there is a VIN and a fairly deterministic date - "I was on vacation / away / sick / in the hospital / otherwise busy / why can't they give me more notice!"
Update as their production capabilities and transport logistics inform a possible EDD - "Why does it keep changing? I keep getting delayed / screwed!/ It's coming waaaay faster than initially communicated!".

There is no way to win for Tesla and their notification system.

Update when there is a VIN and a fairly deterministic date - "I was on vacation / away / sick / in the hospital / otherwise busy / why can't they give me more notice!"
Update as their production capabilities and transport logistics inform a possible EDD - "Why does it keep changing? I keep getting delayed / screwed!/ It's coming waaaay faster than initially communicated!".
You can’t be serious. It’s one thing if it changes 3x…that is an update in production capabilities…> 5, (for me 15)?!? That’s just effing with people.

I would assume nobody complaining about the ordering process has ever special ordered a vehicle from any other manufacturer in the past...
We ordered a bunch of furniture in September, some of it customized some not. 1/3 of it has been delivered, the other 2/3 I get email periodically with "delay this delay that". The world is a strange place these days.

But yeah, Tesla are just "effing with people".

I would assume nobody complaining about the ordering process has ever special ordered a vehicle from any other manufacturer in the past...
Yeah. Our Jeep order makes Tesla look downright customer service focused.

I think the challenge is Tesla does it different and people expect it to act much more like ordering a phone than a vehicle. If you compare it to ordering a phone, I agree it sucks. Compare it to ordering a vehicle and Tesla is far more transparent and communicative and accurate than Jeep/Ford/etc. Toyota isn’t too bad but even they miss their production dates and often you go into 1-2 week black holes where no one seems to know what is happening.

I think this is true. However, I also think that people can reasonably complain if their windows get moved way up and they're traveling or don't have $60k of available cash. It would be nice if you could just provide some blackout dates earlier. E.g., my EDD is July, and I know we'll travel around then, so it would be great if one could just tell the SA, "please black out July 1- July 10" or whatever in advance...

I think the challenge is Tesla does it different and people expect it to act much more like ordering a phone than a vehicle. If you compare it to ordering a phone, I agree it sucks. Compare it to ordering a vehicle and Tesla is far more transparent and communicative and accurate than Jeep/Ford/etc. Toyota isn’t too bad but even they miss their production dates and often you go into 1-2 week black holes where no one seems to know what is happening.

I think this is true. However, I also think that people can reasonably complain if their windows get moved way up and they're traveling or don't have $60k of available cash. It would be nice if you could just provide some blackout dates earlier. E.g., my EDD is July, and I know we'll travel around then, so it would be great if one could just tell the SA, "please black out July 1- July 10" or whatever in advance...
You've got a valid feature request but it won't solve the bouncing EDD problem IMHO.

Your plans may change. Then 100's / 1000's of people do the same thing. And production line issues arise. And supply chain issues crop up. And transport issues to SC's come into play.

If you've never grappled with complex production, scheduling and transport issues, it's difficult to grasp what a nightmare this becomes to build a predictive model. Now add evolving inputs (orders) and outputs (ability to manufacture) and the "new normal" of post-Covid. Software development is remarkably similar when you start hitting large scale but at least it usually involves some static constraints (staff / schedule), and you're left making scope trade offs.

I'd ask you the same question.

If you're assuming Tesla are acting in bad faith and "effing with people", you should probably cancel your order...
Facetiousness aside....there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the EDD changes. I have ordered custom things before, and without question there are changes; however, those changes have reasons that are communicated. You assumed that I said Tesla was acting in bad faith, they aren't acting in any faith at all, there is just no communication and therefore people are left to just bounce around with EDDs, trying to plan....and the policy of 72 hours to pick up or you lose your VIN is effing with people. It is using a wrecking ball to put in a nail.

Reactions: Tesraki

If it were a 1-2 week black hole that would be one thing, it has been a 3 month one. At the same time, cars are delivered to those who ordered much more recently, or there are "inventory cars" with less than 5 miles on them that fit the exact config of someone waiting several months.

If it were a 1-2 week black hole that would be one thing, it has been a 3 month one. At the same time, cars are delivered to those who ordered much more recently, or there are "inventory cars" with less than 5 miles on them that fit the exact config of someone waiting several months.

I get it. There is no doubt Tesla has some pits of misery people fall into. Without the dealer model no one is looking out for you. That is one good thing I can say for the dealer model.

Reactions: samori01
In this context yes. A dealer will find you a car and won’t leave you in limbo. Otherwise they don’t get money.

Tesla Service Centers DGAF.
I disagree, the majority of dealers play games to see how much money they can extract from their customers. At least Tesla treats everyone the same. I can't even get a price from a normal dealership over the phone let alone buy a car that's in high demand without paying a significant market adjustment. Try finding a mass produced Kia Telluride or Toyota RAV4 Prime.