Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virginia Inspection - Help Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a Model 3 this past weekend and need a VA inspection. I live in Yorktown - The Peninsula - and no one will do an inspection without removing 2 tires. I have not found anyone who said they were comfortable doing so. Is there anyone who can offer a suggestion as to where I can go in SE Virginia?

Thanks for your help!!!

I picked up a Model 3 this past weekend and need a VA inspection. I live in Yorktown - The Peninsula - and no one will do an inspection without removing 2 tires. I have not found anyone who said they were comfortable doing so. Is there anyone who can offer a suggestion as to where I can go in SE Virginia?

Thanks for your help!!!
You don't have to get a new car inspection in Virginia (so long as it was purchased in Virginia, theoretically).

If you really want to, I'd take it to a dealer for another make used to dealing with EV's. BMW or Nissan for instance. Most new car dealers do inspections, and they're required to take all comers.

Reactions: bhzmark
What's the problem with letting them remove 2 wheels? Do you expect them to damage something?

I am not necessarily comfortable with places I have been when they say they have not jacked up a Tesla...just my hang up I guess.

VA makes you get a brand new car inspected?
Yup...

You don't have to get a new car inspection in Virginia (so long as it was purchased in Virginia, theoretically). The vehicle was purchased out of state...requiring a VA State Inspection...immediately as stated on the VA State Police Website.

If you really want to, I'd take it to a dealer for another make used to dealing with EV's. BMW or Nissan for instance. Most new car dealers do inspections, and they're required to take all comers.
This is an excellent idea...thanks!!!

The only reason to remove the wheels is to inspect the brakes, which can be seen clearly through the aero wheels with the covers removed.

Lifting the Tesla is nothing special as long as the shop is careful when positioning their lift arms. Removing the wheels is also nothing special, but be sure to tell the shop to torque the wheel lugs to 129 lb-ft.

I will not let just anybody jack up the car -- I am not willing to risk battery damage. If I had to, I would show up with jack adapters and demand that they be used with a manual jack under my supervision
They do have to be jacked up on the approved points under the car. I wouldn't let just anyone jack mine up either. That said, I do think the manual explains where jacks are supposed to be placed and they should use jack pads.

VA makes you get a brand new car inspected?

No they don't.

this exception for new cars:

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement.
A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by § 46.2-1157:

. . .

18. A new motor vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-1500, that has been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor of the new motor vehicle by an employee who customarily performs such inspection on behalf of a motor vehicle dealer licensed pursuant to § 46.2-1508. Such inspection shall be deemed to be the first inspection for the purpose of § 46.2-1158

It seems that they reasonably assume a brand new car is ok for the first year if it is was inspected by the mfr. At least a cop bought that explanation when I explained it and showed him the law on my phone. But then thought I might as well deface my windshield with the silly sticker so as to not give a reason to get pulled over again.

Service Center in Richmond would not deliver it without the sticker. It could be there is no '...an employee who customarily performs such inspection'. Weird though because getting it delivered without the inspection sticker was not an option.

No they don't.

this exception for new cars:

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement

§ 46.2-1158.01. Exceptions to motor vehicle inspection requirement.
A. The following shall be exempt from inspection as required by § 46.2-1157:

. . .

18. A new motor vehicle, as defined in § 46.2-1500, that has been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor of the new motor vehicle by an employee who customarily performs such inspection on behalf of a motor vehicle dealer licensed pursuant to § 46.2-1508. Such inspection shall be deemed to be the first inspection for the purpose of § 46.2-1158

It seems that they reasonably assume a brand new car is ok for the first year if it is was inspected by the mfr. At least a cop bought that explanation when I explained it and showed him the law on my phone. But then thought I might as well deface my windshield with the silly sticker so as to not give a reason to get pulled over again.

While technically correct that a VA specific inspection is not required as per your reference, if you continue reading that same paragraph it says

"and an inspection approval sticker furnished by the Department of State Police at the uniform price paid by all official inspection stations to the Department of State Police for an inspection approval sticker may be affixed to the vehicle as required by § 46.2-1163;"

So you still have to get a VA inspection sticker.

While technically correct that a VA specific inspection is not required as per your reference, if you continue reading that same paragraph it says

"and an inspection approval sticker furnished by the Department of State Police at the uniform price paid by all official inspection stations to the Department of State Police for an inspection approval sticker may be affixed to the vehicle as required by § 46.2-1163;"

So you still have to get a VA inspection sticker.

It says "may be affixed" - not "shall" be affixed.

This just means the dealer/mfr can put a sticker on your car even they are not an official inspection place (as Tesla is not) but they do not have to. Some police and even parking maids will ticket or pull over for no inspection sticker so worth getting one to avoid the hassle and unwanted interaction with law enforcement -- but not legally required.

• Disagree
Reactions: derotam
I had to get the car inspected for something .... the guy was within seconds of jacking up my car with a floor jack.

I yelled at him to stop. These folks have no clue I had To explain the deal. Even with explaining he insisted I was wrong, I canceled the inspection and drove off.

I was lucky I caught it ! Be careful folks.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I had to get the car inspected for something .... the guy was within seconds of jacking up my car with a floor jack.

I yelled at him to stop. These folks have no clue I had To explain the deal. Even with explaining he insisted I was wrong, I canceled the inspection and drove off.

I was lucky I caught it ! Be careful folks.

There is nothing wrong with jacking it up with a floor jack if it's done in the proper manner.