Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, not surprised you said that. It's weird. Definitely much slower now - full second delay between mouse input and response. Didn't change any settings whatsoever.

Of course Java is constantly being updated. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the actual cause.

Weird. I just restarted the app after setting the preferences to "Load All Data". The Graph Tab takes a loooong time to load (I've got a lot of data), but once it does, the Graph is still quite zippy. When I had performance problems with the Graph Tab in the past it was due to lots of garbage collections being triggered. I modified the JavaFX code fairly substantially to try to avoid this. It's possible that you're on the edge of available memory in the Java VM and consequently its still doing lots of garbage collection. If you're adventurous you could run the app from the command line and specify a larger heap size:
java -Xmx1500m -jar VisibleTesla.jar
It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

It looks like I may need to set up a laptop at TMC Connect to debug people's problems in real time :)

Until you find a way, you could supply for example 3 batch files with your districbution, one for 512mb, one for 1024 and one for 1536, perhaps - or two, one for windows and one for mac, for each memory stamp ? :)

Is there a way/reason as to why trips are "delayed" in showing up? Today it was almost an hour after trip was over before i could see it in "Trips"

Until you find a way, you could supply for example 3 batch files with your districbution, one for 512mb, one for 1024 and one for 1536, perhaps - or two, one for windows and one for mac, for each memory stamp ? :)

Is there a way/reason as to why trips are "delayed" in showing up? Today it was almost an hour after trip was over before i could see it in "Trips"

VisibleTesla decides that a trip has ended when it sees no motion for at least 15 minutes, thus you may see a delay of up to 15 minutes, but not an hour. If this happens again, please try deselecting and reselecting the day to see if that causes it to refresh. If it does, let me know and I'll look into it.

Best,
Joe

Thanks, i will try to confirm the times on my next trip.

This 15-minute delay to detect a trip, is it possible to tweak this in a configuration setting somewhere?
Perhaps it could be of interest to many to have less delay for trip detection, or more, depending. :)
I'm thinking especially for those doing commercial driving, would perhaps benefit from a shorter delay. Does VT know if you're "stuck in traffic" with car in D, or if you're parked with car in P - when logging a trip?

About Vampire Loss:
Period: [04/23 00:47, 04/23 06:10], 5,37 hours
Range: [249,07, 248,23], 0,84
Average loss per hour: 0,16

Is the "Range" reported in miles? - meaning the "Average loss per hour" is also stated in rated miles/hour?

Can this be outputted in the selected unit of the car (km/mi) ? Us Norwegians don't like miles too much.. ;)

Given that Joe has kindly worked so hard to provide this app and continues to spend time improving it and providing support, I'd suggest that now that, since he has identified what the issue may be with the Java heap allocation, platform independent batch-file writing might be time better spent by somebody other than Joe?

Did you just volunteer?

Thanks, i will try to confirm the times on my next trip.

This 15-minute delay to detect a trip, is it possible to tweak this in a configuration setting somewhere?
Perhaps it could be of interest to many to have less delay for trip detection, or more, depending. :)
I'm thinking especially for those doing commercial driving, would perhaps benefit from a shorter delay. Does VT know if you're "stuck in traffic" with car in D, or if you're parked with car in P - when logging a trip?

There is currently no setting for this, but I've logged an enhancement request on Github. I can't currently tell if the car is stuck in traffic or parked (D vs. P). If anyone knows how to do that, it could be interesting to look at in the future. I hoped that this might be available from the "shift_state" field returned by the driving_state request, but that field always seems to be null.

- - - Updated - - -

About Vampire Loss:
Period: [04/23 00:47, 04/23 06:10], 5,37 hours
Range: [249,07, 248,23], 0,84
Average loss per hour: 0,16

Is the "Range" reported in miles? - meaning the "Average loss per hour" is also stated in rated miles/hour?

Can this be outputted in the selected unit of the car (km/mi) ? Us Norwegians don't like miles too much.. ;)

D'oh! Another place where I missed a conversion. Good thing I'm not trying put a satellite into Mars orbit. If you hover over one of the markers on the graphs you should see the proper units. I see "mi", you should see "km".

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 5.56.08 PM.png

Unfortunately, regardless of what is shown, the values are always in miles. Thanks for pointing that out. I will do two things: 1) add the conversion, 2) add units to the raw data readout.

Installed the new version, still no trip info.

Hi SigS905,

If you can send me a log file covering this period (see the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ if you need more details), that might allow me to get an idea of what is going on. I may also need to look at your locs.log file. This post explains where to find it: #984

Please also let me know:
* Which OS you are on: Mac, Windows, or Linux
* Whether you can see motion in the Location tab while your car is moving
* Whether you see speed information in the Graphs tab

Joe

Data point: I had no trips recorded Monday or Tuesday. Wednesday the nearly precisely same trip (work commute and coffee breaks) was recorded in minute detail as usual, beginning to end. I didn't change anything but check in VT. VT was running the whole time on Mac Mt. Lion latest Java 7 (.55?)

Something may may have gotten fixed or updated on the Tesla server side?

Last edited:
Is it possible to learn/discover the functions of VisibleTesla with a test account ? (While waiting for the real car)

I wish! Having a test account would make development so much easier!

In terms of learning the features of VisibleTesla, probably the closes we'll get is a screencast walking through the features. That's not nearly as satisfying as playing with it your self, but at least it would demonstrate what can be done.

Joe

In using Scheduler, I discovered that the specified time is in the time zone of the car, not that of my laptop. Might be worth a note in the documentation.

Hi wcalvin,

The specified time is interpreted in the local timezone of the computer on which VisibleTesla is running. I get no information from the vehicle about the timezone it is in and I don't compute it from the car's location. If you're seeing scheduled events happening at times different than what is displayed on your laptop, then that's a bug. In the Scheduler Tab, click the arrow next to "Recent Activity". That will open up a timestamped log of all recently executed scheduled events. Please let me know what you see there compared to what you have scheduled.

The one place where scheduled events will happen in the car's time zone is if you scheduled a charge in the car. VisibleTesla reports that there is a scheduled charge pending, but it does not actually schedule or start the charge, the car does.

Joe

VisibleTesla 0.26.03 is available now

VisibleTesla 0.26.03 is available here or using the app's built-in update mechanism. This version is primarily focused on adding some conveniences, fixing a few minor bugs, and updating the documentation to match.

The conveniences mostly have to do with installation - see the notes below. I've tested these out on a couple of Macs and a Windows 7 machine. Nothing depends on using these conveniences. Everything continues works just the way it used to, so if you run into trouble, just use the tried and true methods (and let me know).

VisibleTesla 0.26.03 [04-26-2014]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Addition for Windows Users: I've added a clickable script in the VisibleTesla folder called "Make_Windows_Shortcut". If you double click this script it will create a shortcut on your desktop with a Tesla fob icon. You can use that to launch VisibleTesla. This effectively automates the manual steps listed in the FAQ.
      • Addition for Mac Users: Inside the VisibleTesla folder you'll now see VisibleTesla.app. You can use it to launch VisibleTesla. You can drag this to your dock or create an alias and put the alias anywhere you'd like. Do not move the app itself out of the downloaded folder. It relies on other content. You can move the entire downloaded folder anywhere you'd like.
      • Refinement: The proxy fix that was introduced in 0.26.02 has been confirmed to work by several users so I removed the note about it being experimental.
      • Fix: The charts and raw data displayed for Vampire Loss were always displaying range in terms of miles even when the car's interface was set to kilometers.
    • Login
      • Refinement: Very minor UI tweak.
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Refinement: Minor updates to the graphics for the Speedometer/Power gauge including a more digital-looking font.
      • Refinement: Tweak the way that streaming interacts with the Daydreaming setting in order to capture more streaming information.
    • Charge
      • Fix: The snowflake depicting cold weather conditions is actually not derived from the temperature. It was shown when the usable battery level differs from the "normal" battery level. Because I am actually not taking temperature into account (it is the implied reason for the lower usable level), I no longer show a snowflake. Instead, the Battery Gauge shows two distinct levels for this case. The lower level is the usable battery level and the higher level is the "normal" battery level. Both levels are shown at the bottom of the Charging Data table.

In the previous version the snowflake would be displayed no matter how insignificant the difference was between levels. This could lead to it being displayed for what were effectively rounding errors. Now the two levels are displayed in the gauge only if the difference is at least 2 percentage points.
    • Graphs
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
      • Refinement: The message issued by the "Unplugged?" scheduler event now includes the remaining range. When you receive a notification reminding you that your car is unplugged, you'll be able to see the remaining range and decide whether it is worth going out to plug in your car.
    • Notify
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • Fix: Fixed a typo in the script that builds a packaged Mac application. This did not impact functionality - it was just a misspelling.
  • Known problems

Last edited: