Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi dirkhh,

All good points and yes, having a separate collector/repository is definitely a better approach.

I wasn't planning to add any charting in VisibleTesla because (a) there is already the visualization work that you and hans have in teslams which is more complete than anything I would do, and (b) I didn't want to add the complexity of having the app, a collector daemon, and a database.

When someone asked if I would at least add charting that happens while the app is running, I decided that is sounded manageable, would provide some basic capability, and would give me an excuse to look at JavaFX charting. That last part has not been as pleasant as I'd hoped :)

I'm going to get this basic approach working and then think about how to tie it into a separate data collector and repository.

Thanks for your continued feedback and advice,
Joe

@jp, have you posted v.18 or later anywhere for dl?

thx.

Not yet. I've been trying to complete the experimental graphing support and get some testing done. I want to let it collect stats for at least a day without interruptions for debugging before posting a new version.

Here's what it looks like right now. The "Items" list is collapsible and lets you select which variables are displayed. It also serves as a color-coded legend. The text in the upper left hand corner of the chart ("[08/26 03:58 148.4]" in this example) displays the value under the mouse. This lets you point at anywhere on the graph to see the corresponding value more easily.

This graphing capability is never going to be terribly sophisticated, but it will provide some basic data.

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 8.22.37 AM.png

VisibleTesla 0.18

You can download VisibleTesla 0.18 here.

Along with a number of fixes and improvements, this version introduces experimental support for a Graphs tab. Please refer to the documentation for details.

VisibleTesla 0.18
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Automatically switch to the Overview tab after a successful login
      • Change the auto-refresh time to 20 seconds
    • Login
      • Enable the logout functionality.
      • Add a "Remember Me" checkbox to the login panel. If this is not set, no cookies will be saved and the user must log in each time.
    • Overview
      • Cache the odometer reading so something reasonable shows until a new reading is received.
      • Update the wheel view before the panel is displayed the first time.
    • HVAC
      • Update the wheel view before the panel is displayed the first time.
      • When no temp readings are available it used to show zero degrees. It now displays "…".
    • Graphs
      • Adding experimental support for graphing certain statistics.
      • Please refer to the documentation for an overview.
      • The stats that are currently gathered are somewhat arbitrary. They are all charge-related. I will update the set of stats that are gathered over time based on what is of interest and practical to gather.
      • As noted in the documentation, new stats are collected every 5 minutes. When you view the Graphs tab for the very first time, you won't see any data until the first 5 minute interval has passed. On subsequent views you'll see some data right away.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Code Refactoring to support the graphs tab.
  • Known problems
    • There is a "dead area" on the chart where the Items dropdown list displays. Even when the Items list is not showing, mouse activity in that area is ignored. For example, if you try to mousedown and drag the chart, it will not respond.
    • The x-axis in the graph does not always reliably display dates - just times.
    • It has been reported that the app has trouble starting up on a car that is asleep with firmware 5.0.

Last edited:
You can download VisibleTesla 0.18 here.

Along with a number of fixes and improvements, this version introduces experimental support for a Graphs tab. Please refer to the documentation for details.

VisibleTesla 0.18
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Automatically switch to the Overview tab after a successful login
      • Change the auto-refresh time to 20 seconds

• Thank you for your ongoing work!

I'm just wondering, what will happen if the Model S is asleep? Will it wake up and be kept awake by the app? Do I have to quit the app to let it go to sleep? I understand that the app is refreshing data from the Tesla API, but what happens between the Tesla server and the car based on the app's activity?

Another quick one: just downloaded the "new" 0.18 with the graphs tab, thanks!

In this version the temperatures display as F even though I have set the car to C. The prior versions (including the test 0.18 that you sent me directly for the spoiler check) displayed C as well.

@Klaus: I don't have a good answer for how VisibleTesla impacts a car that is sleep mode (version 5.0 on the car). The app does wake up the car enough to respond to requests, but I don't know if there is a "deep sleep", lighter sleep, etc. It should have the same impact as running the iPhone app; but with the graphing feature enabled, it will collect data every 5 minutes which the app won't.

I'm not sure how I broke the temperature units support, but in searching for it I did find another bug which may be related. I'll send you a PM with a pointer to a test version to try if you're willing.

@neo1700: No plans for the app store at this moment. I have nothing against the app store, but it means a lot of overhead for me and learning yet another process.

@EVERYONE: To avoid having to enter your credentials when you move from one version of VisibleTesla to another, simply copy the file named "cookies.txt" from the old folder to the new one. E.g., from the "VisibleTesla 0.17c" folder to the "VisibleTesla 0.18" folder.

I will add some mechanism (it might be very rudimentary) to auto-update. This will download the latest version, move over your stored credentials (if you have "Remember Me" checked) and your data file of statistics. I'd really like to find some autoupdate mechanism that I could just use, but everything I've seen so far is more trouble to integrate than writing something from scratch. I'll keep looking but would be happy for someone to point me in the right direction.

I will add some mechanism (it might be very rudimentary) to auto-update. This will download the latest version, move over your stored credentials (if you have "Remember Me" checked) and your data file of statistics. I'd really like to find some autoupdate mechanism that I could just use, but everything I've seen so far is more trouble to integrate than writing something from scratch. I'll keep looking but would be happy for someone to point me in the right direction.

Have you looked at using Java Web Start for this purpose? It handles auto-update and initial installation as well. All through a ".jnlp" file...

Have you looked at using Java Web Start for this purpose? It handles auto-update and initial installation as well. All through a ".jnlp" file...

I have only given it a cursory look. Here's what I think I've noticed so far:

• I'd need to make some code changes (they seem minor) to the way I access local files.
  • If I self-sign the content, users will get a fairly scary dialog that pops up and recommends that they don't run the app. The implication is that I need to properly sign the code. Not a bad thing at all - just another thing to do.
  • It's not clear to me whether users can accept/decline updates or if auto-updates happen no matter what the user wants

It sounds as though you might be an experienced Java Web Start developer. I'd love your opinion on whether I could get this going without a significant learning curve or significant ongoing deployment effort.

@Klaus:
I'm not sure how I broke the temperature units support, but in searching for it I did find another bug which may be related. I'll send you a PM with a pointer to a test version to try if you're willing.

Likely user error, as discussed via PM. Will test tomorrow. Everyone else, please ignore this "bug" report.

• It's not clear to me whether users can accept/decline updates or if auto-updates happen no matter what the user wants

You can control how updates are handled in the "update" element of your JNLP file. You can decide if users are prompted or updates happen no matter what. See here for details:

JNLP File Syntax

It sounds as though you might be an experienced Java Web Start developer. I'd love your opinion on whether I could get this going without a significant learning curve or significant ongoing deployment effort.

I am not an experienced Java Web Start developer. I am more of a node.js guy. :smile: I am, however, a Sun Microsystems Principal Engineer (now at Oracle) and willing to assist in anyway I can.

I really like what you're doing here with JavaFX!

• If I self-sign the content, users will get a fairly scary dialog that pops up and recommends that they don't run the app. The implication is that I need to properly sign the code. Not a bad thing at all - just another thing to do.
I already get this warning on the .jar file (on a Mac Mountain Lion) which requires me to run it with special right-click method. Not a problem. In fact, I would prefer you spent your time on making all the cool updates you are doing rather than figuring out how to sign it (until it becomes version 1.x...).

Thanks jpasqua for this. I have been using it every day and it is great!

I noticed that in v0.18 the graph Range seems to be in Miles, but it isn't clear. As my units in the car are set to km, it makes it a bit confusing. Perhaps adding a unit beside the item in the legend, and adjusting the Y scale to the users unit preferences would clear it up?

By the way on v0.18 the info list correctly says at the bottom for me "Has Spoiler: false" but then displays a spoiler in the image. Has been like that since the inception of your app. Doesn't bother me but I suspect when the opposite happens, people like to see their spoiler...

Thanks jpasqua for this. I have been using it every day and it is great!

I noticed that in v0.18 the graph Range seems to be in Miles, but it isn't clear. As my units in the car are set to km, it makes it a bit confusing. Perhaps adding a unit beside the item in the legend, and adjusting the Y scale to the users unit preferences would clear it up?

That's an oversight on my part. It's now on the bug list. Thanks for the report.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way on v0.18 the info list correctly says at the bottom for me "Has Spoiler: false" but then displays a spoiler in the image. Has been like that since the inception of your app. Doesn't bother me but I suspect when the opposite happens, people like to see their spoiler...

I'm fairly perplexed by this bug. Since I can't reproduce it, it's kind of a pain to isolate. I may PM you for some help in testing if you'd be willing. Others are having the same issue.

I like the new graph in v0.18. is there any way to change the time scale? for instance how much charge have I lost in the last 24 hours or how did my rate of charge look during the full time (variable time) of my charge (steady/changing). All I see now is about 30 minutes.

It seems in the latest V0.18 that I can scroll and resize the graph by using two fingers on a Mac trackpad. But if I scroll or resize too far, the graphs disappear off the edge of the display and I don't know of an easy way to see any of the charted data without restarting the program.

I like the new graph in v0.18. is there any way to change the time scale? for instance how much charge have I lost in the last 24 hours or how did my rate of charge look during the full time (variable time) of my charge (steady/changing). All I see now is about 30 minutes.

Yes, if you use the scroll wheel on your mouse (or gesture on your trackpad) it will zoom the time scale up or down (show a longer time frame or a shorter one). If you press your mouse button and drag the chart it will move forward or back ward through time. You can also grow the window to see more data or more detail.

It seems in the latest V0.18 that I can scroll and resize the graph by using two fingers on a Mac trackpad. But if I scroll or resize too far, the graphs disappear off the edge of the display and I don't know of an easy way to see any of the charted data without restarting the program.

Yes, you can get in a state where you have to drag a long way to get the current time back into view. I'm thinking about how to either avoid this or make it easy to get back to "now."