Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry about that. The password fixes will be available in the next release.

Thank you jpasqua :smile:

Since VisibleTesla can activate charging, would it be possible to include the ability to start charging when needed for a scheduled charge completion time? Leaf and Volt owners say these cars include this feature. I would rather schedule charging with a target completion time than a scheduled start time.

There is an experimental version of VisibleTesla here: VisibleTesla 0.17a1

• Add support for charge percentages. Support is conditional on the car's firmware version. If it is not up to the right version, only standard and max settings are allowed.
This is working nicely... Thanks for displaying the % its set to also -- Tesla removed that in one of the 4.5 updates (it displayed in the .38 flavor, but was gone by .48). I like to set my car to 75% for daily use (gives me plenty of range for regular commuting plus evening things, and may help with battery life since I'm in AZ and park in a very hot garage (the car's interior temp showed as 109 the other day...). But the on-screen slider is tough to get exactly 75% -- so now I can do this.

I also noticed that you can change the percent while charging and it updates. Very nice... The Standard and Range presets are nice also...

Edit:
I just noticed that on the Charging Data grid there is a # of Range Charges. This is displaying 0 for my car -- although I have done 1, although we left the house within ~20 min of the range charge finishing. Makes me wonder if Tesla isn't recording a range charge unless the car sits at 100% SOC for X minutes/hours...
(Update): Nevermind -- just saw Hans' explanation of this that its not a lifetime value, just consecutive # of range charges...

Edit 2:
There may be a bug in the Log Out option -- doesn't seem to log me out... After pressing it, the log-in screen still shows me as logged in, and the other screens appear to still update...

Last edited:
Thanks for the app.
It seems to have problems waking up the Tesla in 5.0. The "Overview" and "Charge" tabs don't load. I have to close the app down and restart it for me to be able to send commands. I haven't tried this on your 17a yet.

Wonderful app, just what I need. Is it possible to catch the user/password and have a version that when launched will pre/condition the car and then shut itself off again. It would save all the unneeded network traffic. And would give us one click pre/condition.

Thanks for the app.
It seems to have problems waking up the Tesla in 5.0. The "Overview" and "Charge" tabs don't load. I have to close the app down and restart it for me to be able to send commands. I haven't tried this on your 17a yet.

Thanks for the report. I don't have 5.0 yet so I don't have a way to test this. There is nothing in17a that should change the behavior, but since I can't test, I don't know for sure. What is the behavior you see on the iPhone or Android app? Does it just spin a long time and then finally load?

I just noticed that on the Charging Data grid there is a # of Range Charges. This is displaying 0 for my car -- although I have done 1, although we left the house within ~20 min of the range charge finishing. Makes me wonder if Tesla isn't recording a range charge unless the car sits at 100% SOC for X minutes/hours...
(Update): Nevermind -- just saw Hans' explanation of this that its not a lifetime value, just consecutive # of range charges...

Edit 2:
There may be a bug in the Log Out option -- doesn't seem to log me out... After pressing it, the log-in screen still shows me as logged in, and the other screens appear to still update...

I'll add a description of the range charge count to the documentation. It's confusing.

You're right about logging out. I haven't completely hooked up the code for that. I will.

Thanks for you input ZBB.

Thank you jpasqua :smile:

Since VisibleTesla can activate charging, would it be possible to include the ability to start charging when needed for a scheduled charge completion time? Leaf and Volt owners say these cars include this feature. I would rather schedule charging with a target completion time than a scheduled start time.

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is maybe :) let me ask you a few questions that come to mind immediately.

Would you expect to leave the app running all the time so it could start the charge at the appropriate time?

What would you consider the appropriate time? To be really close I'd need to start the charge, let it run for maybe 30 seconds to get a stable predicted charge time from the car. I could then use that to figure out when to start the charge for real. I'd add some buffer time in to be sure.

Would you be willing to trust your charge schedule to a separate piece of software that is running on a system that is neither the car itself or Tesla's servers?

Wonderful app, just what I need. Is it possible to catch the user/password and have a version that when launched will pre/condition the car and then shut itself off again. It would save all the unneeded network traffic. And would give us one click pre/condition.

Hi efxjim. When you say "then shut itself off again." Are you referring to shutting off the HVAC or shutting down the app? If what you want is something that launches, sets the temp target, starts preconditioning, then quits, you might want to look at @hans' very nice set of tools. VisibleTesla could be made to do this, but you could probably do it with @hans' tools right now. He will obviously correct me if I'm wrong.

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is maybe :) let me ask you a few questions that come to mind immediately.

Would you expect to leave the app running all the time so it could start the charge at the appropriate time?

I prefer to put my laptop to sleep at night. Would the app be able to reset the charging start time in the car? If so, maybe it could do that periodically and have done it before my laptop goes to sleep. I don't know what the API supports.

What would you consider the appropriate time? To be really close I'd need to start the charge, let it run for maybe 30 seconds to get a stable predicted charge time from the car. I could then use that to figure out when to start the charge for real. I'd add some buffer time in to be sure.

I would almost always want to complete charging at 7 am. It's not critical that it be exactly that time. That's when PG&E switches from off peak to partial peak on my TOU plan. I wouldn't mind if charge rate in rated miles per hr is also a user input.

Would you be willing to trust your charge schedule to a separate piece of software that is running on a system that is neither the car itself or Tesla's servers?

Good question. I would trust the app a lot more than I would trust my ability to remember to keep the app running. :smile:

Thanks for the report. I don't have 5.0 yet so I don't have a way to test this. There is nothing in17a that should change the behavior, but since I can't test, I don't know for sure. What is the behavior you see on the iPhone or Android app? Does it just spin a long time and then finally load?

The Android App Spins for a long time with text status saying things like trying to connect, establishing connection. Once the connection is established it loads and works normally.

Just a button on the desktop to start pre-conditioning for a set length of time. I'll check on hans tools.
Thanks

To turn on the climate control with the teslams tools, run the following command line (which can also me made into a script with a pretty icon if you like)

teslacmd.js -u <username> -p <password> -A on

It doesn't set a length of time but it should run for about 15 minutes.

Use "climatemon.js" if you want to visually see the current and target temperatures (both inside and outside).

VisibleTesla 0.17

VisibleTesla 0.17c can be downloaded here.

For those that tried the unpublished test version, this version is mostly the same.

Changes:

• Under-the-covers
    • Build files have small updates
    • Readme.md updated to reflect changes to downloads for jfxtras library
    • Protection against runaway requests to the Tesla web portal. If you hit refresh over and over again in rapid succession, you will notice a delay as the underlying library throttles your activity. This also protects against bugs in the code.
    • Simplification of some of the underlying code
  • User-Visible
    • Add support for charge percentages. Support is conditional on the car's firmware version. If it is not up to the right version, only standard and max settings are allowed.
    • Fixes to the spoiler support. Get rid of "floaters" reported by @araxara. Move the spoiler to reflect the actual position on the car as opposed to where the iPhone app shows it
    • Several minor UI elements have been updated. Some ToggleButtons were changed to regular buttons. They no longer indicate state. They are just commands.
    • On the overview tab, the car's elements (eg wheel type, odometer reading, door state) still update as data becomes available, but the spinner should remain spinning until all data becomes available.
    • The documentation has been updated with new screen captures to reflect the UI changes. Explanations have been added for the elements of the Charge Tab.
    • Fixed a problem handling passwords with certain special characters
  • Known problems
    • It has been reported that the app has trouble starting up on a car that is asleep with firmware 5.0
    • I've seen, but been unable to reproduce, the charge cable appear, disappear, and reappear from the Overview Tab during charging

I prefer to put my laptop to sleep at night. Would the app be able to reset the charging start time in the car? If so, maybe it could do that periodically and have done it before my laptop goes to sleep. I don't know what the API supports.

Unfortunately, as far as we know, the API does not allow us to reset the scheduled charging time.