Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the first version of the Trips tab, trips won't actually load until the app is quit and restarted. For example, If you run the app all day and take several trips, nothing will show up. If you quit the app and restart, then select the current day, you'll see the trips. In .25 and later you don't need to do that. Hope that helps. If you're still not seeing any trips, let me know.

That got it. Thanks!

Another experimental version

Folks, VisibleTesla 0.25.01 is now available here. This version is still considered experimental so it will not be offered by the "Check for Updates" menu item unless you have selected "offer experimental versions" in the advanced preferences. Here's what's new:

VisibleTesla 0.25.01 [12-24-13] - EXPERIMENTAL
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • This version should continue to be considered experimental. The Trips tab, Notify Tab, and sleep modes are still undergoing changes.
      • Enhancements to "Allow Sleeping" Mode. The result is that the app is now smarter about getting the data from the vehicle if it happens to be awake, but will not keep the car awake by continually sending it commands. For example, if the car wakes up overnight to perform a scheduled charge, VisibleTesla will notice that and grab some data while the car is awake. Details are below but can be skipped.
        • A fairly significant change has been made to the way VisibleTesla handles sleep mode. If the app is in "Allow Sleep" mode, it will not interact with the car, thereby allowing it to go to sleep if it so chooses. VisibleTesla will not interact with the vehicle again until a scheduled command requires it, or the user starts interacting with the app again.
        • This new version of the app operates slightly differently. When the app is in "Allow Sleep" mode, the car may or may not be awake. Allow Sleep mode doesn't put the car to sleep - it just leaves it alone so that it may enter sleep mode when it is appropriate. Knowing that the car may still be awake, VisibleTesla now probes Tesla's servers periodically to determine if the car is really asleep. This probe will not wake up the car. If the car is asleep, then the app does nothing and will probe again later.
        • If VisibleTesla determines that the car is still awake, it will gather some data and then will not probe the vehicle again for 30 minutes. This is enough time to let the car go to sleep if it wants to. There is one final wrinkle. If, during one of these probes, VisibleTesla determines that the car is charging, then it will continue to probe more frequently until a probe shows that the car is no longer charging.
        • These changes will allow VisibleTesla to gather more information from your car with little to no impact on the car's ability to sleep. With more information, the app can keep more complete statistics, send notifications on a more timely basis, etc.
      • Tesla seems to have a few new codes for wheel, battery, and seat types (WT1P, WTX1, QZMB, PBT85). I have incorporated support for these based on user input. Not having these types in VT resulted in misidentification of these items and also the paint color. That is now corrected. This impacts the Overview and the HVAC tabs.
      • Fixed: A problem that could result in a hang at startup in rare circumstances.
      • Fixed the format of decimal numbers in various places to be sensitive to the locale. For example, in the US a user might see "50.0" in some part of the UI while a user in Europe might see "50,0". This is dependent on the region and language settings in the underlying operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux). Advanced users may override this by launching java manually with additional commaned line parameters such as "-Duser.country=NL -Duser.language=nl". If you don't know what this means, but for some reason need to use a different locale for this app than you do in the rest of the operating system, please let me know.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Fixed: A problem that could result in the car's position not being updated in rare circumstances.
    • Charge
      • Changed the units from "kph" to "km/h".
      • The app now determines whether this is a European vehicle, and if so checks whether the connected power is 3-phase. If it is 3-phase, the "Current" row in the Property table will show a (3) after the word "Current".
    • Graphs
    • Trips
      • Fixed: A problem that would cause the units to be repeated over and over again in the Property table. For example: "Range (mi) (mi) (mi)".
      • If a new trip completes while the current day is selected, that trip would not appear in the list of available trips until the day is deselected and reselected. The trip is now added to the list automatically.
      • When a day or days are selected, all available trips from those days are displayed in the trip list. Each is listed as "day @ time". For example: "2013-12-23 @ 08:57". To make it easier to identify which trip is which, the trips are now listed as "day @ time, N units". For example, "2013-12-23 @ 08:57, 9.6 mi".
    • Scheduler
      • Added a new command: "Unplugged?". This command tests whether the car is unplugged at the specified time and sends the user a notification if it is. Note: This scheduled command will wake up your car if it is sleeping. The car must be awake in order to communicate whether it is plugged in or not. This command will wake up your car even if VisibleTesla is in "Allow Sleep" mode. The same holds for some other scheduler commands such as "HVAC: On".
      • Users reported confusion when a particular row of the Scheduler was turned off. It was unclear that is was disabled and they were surprised that the event didn't execute. As a result, the app now disables (greys out) all items in the row when the "On?" checkbox is deselected.
    • Notify
      • Fixed: A problem that would allow the "Unplugged at time" notification to trigger at incorrect times.
      • The "Unplugged at time" notification is now part of the Scheduler tab since it is a scheduled event.
      • Fixed: A problem that would make the tab unusable for some European users.
    • Prefs
      • Added a "Test Delivery" button next to the "Email for notifications" field in General->Basic preferences. This allows you to ensure that the email address you are using for notifications can be delivered to by VisibleTesla. If you have difficulty receiving notifications, this test can help diagnose the problem.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Lots of logging information is being kept in this version related to sleep mode. User won't see this unless they look in VisibleTesla.log. Once this code has been determined to work well, the logging code will be removed.
  • Known problems
    • The Rated, Estimated, and Ideal range displays on the Charge tab do not honor the current locale setting. They always display decimal numbers with a "." and not a ",". This appears to be a limitation of the underlying component. I'm looking into it.

Folks, VisibleTesla 0.25.01 is now available

Fantastic, email notification is now working. Just one request. Would it be possible to change the subject to the notification text itself?

Eg subject. "SOC hit or exceeded 62.0. Current value: 62.0" In stead of : "VisibleTesla Notification" and leave the field text as is:
"2013-12-25 05:54:34
SOC hit or exceeded 62.0. Current value: 62.0"

This way, you can allready see what is happening without opening the mail by looking at its subject.

Last edited:
Fantastic, email notification is now working. Just one request. Would it be possible to change the subject to the notification text itself?

Eg subject. "SOC hit or exceeded 62.0. Current value: 62.0" In stead of : "VisibleTesla Notification" and leave the field text as is:

This way, you can allready see what is happening without opening the mail by looking at its subject.

Yes, I'll do that.

Yes, I'll do that.
Good idea, One thought on this for the people having this sent to their cell phones would be to try and not repeat any text being sent.

for instance:
Subject: SOC hit or exceeded 62.0
Body: 2013-12-25 05:54:34 Current value: 62.0

One more thing.
I know I can get my Firmware Version from the "Details button" on the "Overview tab". would it be possible to also put it on the "Overview tab" itself under the VIN?

Can someone please tell me where and how to download and install this program for either Windows or the MAC. I tried to download and install it once and it would not work. Gave me an error message that I needed other programs to be installed first, with no idea what they they were or where to get them. Please note I do not have Java installed on my computers due to security concerns. Is Java required?

If this program is not totally self contained, I need to know what other programs are needed (and where to get them).

Thanks, and happy holidays.

Can someone please tell me where and how to download and install this program for either Windows or the MAC. I tried to download and install it once and it would not work. Gave me an error message that I needed other programs to be installed first, with no idea what they they were or where to get them. Please note I do not have Java installed on my computers due to security concerns. Is Java required?

If this program is not totally self contained, I need to know what other programs are needed (and where to get them).

It's written 100% in Java so indeed Java is required. :)

For Windows, download into your default Downloads directory. Click on the zip file. Then an Extract All will appear above the file names. Extract all into the default choice. When complete, it will show several subdirectories. Click Windows and a version number name ending in .jar will be seen. Make a shortcut to it, then drag the shortcut out to your desktop. Double-click the shortcut and voila.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you do not have java installed, search google "java download."

- - - Reply to swegman - - -

Hi swegman,

I updated the first post of this thread to point at the online documentation and release notes. They are included when you download the application, but it's nice to be able to look at them before you get started.

I wrote this app in Java so there is no way to run it without having Java installed on your machine. If you'd like to get tons of great functionality without relying on Java, you might want to take a look at the teslams project. It's based on javascript rather than Java. The primary contributors are @hans and @dirkhh.

For others that may be trying VisibleTesla for the first time, the most recent "stable" version of the app is 0.24.00 and it can be downloaded by clicking here. The most recent experimental version is 0.25.01 and it can be downloaded by clicking here.

Happy Holidays,
Joe

- - - Reply to dsmith2189 - - -

Good idea, One thought on this for the people having this sent to their cell phones would be to try and not repeat any text being sent.

for instance:
Subject: SOC hit or exceeded 62.0
Body: 2013-12-25 05:54:34 Current value: 62.0
Hi dsmith2189,

There is no way for me to know whether a given email address will end up being relayed via SMS to a cell phone. I could add a check box to the preferences to let people indicate whether this is the case. I'll think about that or whether it would just be better to allow a couple of choices of message delivery formats.

One more thing.
I know I can get my Firmware Version from the "Details button" on the "Overview tab". would it be possible to also put it on the "Overview tab" itself under the VIN?

It's easy to do, but is it worth putting this on the screen when it is a fairly rarely referenced piece of information and it's only a mouse click away? I'm interested in thoughts from others. I could also make it appear if you click the VIN or hover over it or something.

There is no way for me to know whether a given email address will end up being relayed via SMS to a cell phone. I could add a check box to the preferences to let people indicate whether this is the case. I'll think about that or whether it would just be better to allow a couple of choices of message delivery formats.

i don't think he was implying on it going via SMS to a phone -- just suggesting to keep the message title short to help those that view email on a phone. I use my phone as my primary email reading device for my personal email accounts -- iPad or computer are secondary...

Folks, VisibleTesla 0.25.01 is now available here.

• Enhancements to "Allow Sleeping" Mode. The result is that the app is now smarter about getting the data from the vehicle if it happens to be awake, but will not keep the car awake by continually sending it commands. For example, if the car wakes up overnight to perform a scheduled charge, VisibleTesla will notice that and grab some data while the car is awake. Details are below but can be skipped.
        • A fairly significant change has been made to the way VisibleTesla handles sleep mode. If the app is in "Allow Sleep" mode, it will not interact with the car, thereby allowing it to go to sleep if it so chooses. VisibleTesla will not interact with the vehicle again until a scheduled command requires it, or the user starts interacting with the app again.
        • This new version of the app operates slightly differently. When the app is in "Allow Sleep" mode, the car may or may not be awake. Allow Sleep mode doesn't put the car to sleep - it just leaves it alone so that it may enter sleep mode when it is appropriate. Knowing that the car may still be awake, VisibleTesla now probes Tesla's servers periodically to determine if the car is really asleep. This probe will not wake up the car. If the car is asleep, then the app does nothing and will probe again later.
        • If VisibleTesla determines that the car is still awake, it will gather some data and then will not probe the vehicle again for 30 minutes. This is enough time to let the car go to sleep if it wants to. There is one final wrinkle. If, during one of these probes, VisibleTesla determines that the car is charging, then it will continue to probe more frequently until a probe shows that the car is no longer charging.
        • These changes will allow VisibleTesla to gather more information from your car with little to no impact on the car's ability to sleep. With more information, the app can keep more complete statistics, send notifications on a more timely basis, etc.

I've downloaded the code, and have a quick question about the new mode: Given that the Allow Sleep mode for the car attempts to intelligently gather data when the car is awake, and yet allow it to also sleep when inactive, how does this interact with the Idle Threshold setting in Prefs?

It would seem that if the app idles after 15 minutes, then it would never really probe the vehicle at 30 minute intervals while it's awake?

Should we crank the idle threshold up past 30 minutes? Although even in that case it would seem that if we maxed out the idle threshold at 90 minutes, the app could go to sleep while the car is parked for a couple of hours, and then miss if the car wakes back up...

Or am I misunderstanding the idle behavior?

Thanks again for the effort and any insight.

Last edited:
This is such a great app. Thanks again for making it.

I'm planning to use it so that I can get the energy savings of the newer sleep modes yet have the car responsive in the morning when I want the heat activated. Right now I have to use the iOS app, wait for the car to wake up, then turn on the heat.

Thus, I plan to have the VisibleTesla scheduler wake up the car about 10-15 minutes before my usual (human) wake up time. I can the grab the tesla app on the iphone and choose if I want to turn on the heat.

I know visibleTesla has a schedule option to turn on HVAC but is there a wake up command? I saw the allow sleep commands etc but I thought those were more directed at the VisibleTesla app rather than the car.

This is such a great app. Thanks again for making it.

I'm planning to use it so that I can get the energy savings of the newer sleep modes yet have the car responsive in the morning when I want the heat activated. Right now I have to use the iOS app, wait for the car to wake up, then turn on the heat.

Thus, I plan to have the VisibleTesla scheduler wake up the car about 10-15 minutes before my usual (human) wake up time. I can the grab the tesla app on the iphone and choose if I want to turn on the heat.

I know visibleTesla has a schedule option to turn on HVAC but is there a wake up command? I saw the allow sleep commands etc but I thought those were more directed at the VisibleTesla app rather than the car.

Hi SteveW25561,

You're absolutely right that the "Awake", "Sleep", and "Daydream" commands in the Scheduler are about the state that the app is in. "Awake" means that it should collect data as usual and auto-refresh tabs on a regular basis even if the user is not interacting with the app. "Daydream" means that after a period of user inactivity, the app should stop auto-refreshing tabs, but still collect data in the background. This lessens the load on Tesla's servers. "Sleep" means that after a period of user inactivity, the app should avoid doing anything that will keep the car from going to sleep. It does not, and cannot, actually cause the car to go to sleep.

If you schedule an "HVAC: On" command then the app will wake up the car if necessary as part of issuing the command. Waking the car up takes about a minute. I know some folks are using this feature regularly. Give it a try and let me know if you have any problems.

I maintain a totally self contained version of the latest stable version of VisibleTesla at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168648/VisibleTesla.zip for the Mac. No Java is needed to be downloaded, since it's contained within the program.