Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I run Visible Tesla on my Ipad 2? I downloaded the app and unzipped it. I'm using a program called FileApp but I don't see the jar file, just docs etc.
What programs do I need to use to see the jar file on my Ipad 2?
Thanks so much.

P.S. Obviously I'm not an Apple/Mac user so I don't really know my way around the Ipad 2. I'm sure the program's a piece of cake on my Windows 7 desktop computer, but it's just not convenient like the Ipad 2.

In the graphs tab - is there any way to 'zoom in' on a short time period - it always seems to show graphs for 24 hours, so looking at a short trip is impossible - its just a tiny blip on the screen.

From the instructions (there is more beyond this there to read for all the graph controls):
  • Zooming: If you wish to change the time-span that is displayed (zoom in on a small range of time or zoom out to a large range of time) spin the scroll-wheel on your mouse up or down. To zoom in or out on the value (y) axis, press CTRL while scrolling. To zoom both axes simultaneously, press SHIFT while scrolling. When zooming, the app does so relative to the current mouse location. That is, the chart will seem to expand around the point under the mouse pointer.

I first downloaded 24.0 (I think) and I was able to set up a notification if the car was not plugged in at a certain time - very useful to check that we remembered to plug in for later charging. In 25.0+ I cannot find this choice - there is a notification for 'Disconnected' etc. - but the car was not disconnected, it was never connected since my last trip - is there any way to still have that notification?

Joe added a new feature for this. Go to Schedule tab, choose "On", set a time/date, and choose "Unplugged?" for the command. You'll get a notification if it is unplugged at that time and date. I think this is not yet in the instructions but I read it in the release notes.

Can I run Visible Tesla on my Ipad 2? I downloaded the app and unzipped it. I'm using a program called FileApp but I don't see the jar file, just docs etc.
Thanks so much.

P.S. Obviously I'm not an Apple/Mac user so I don't really know my way around the Ipad 2. I'm sure the program's a piece of cake on my Windows 7 desktop computer, but it's just not convenient like the Ipad 2.

Steve Jobs banned programming languages/environments from the iPad and iOS, so there is no Java for iPad. Without Java there is no Visible Tesla. Sorry.

The only way would be to do a screen share with a desktop running VT, using LogmeIn Ignition or some other VNC software.

A few hitches that I've had...
Some trips are not being picked up at all..

I was just checking this thread to report the same... I have trip data up to 1/2 then nothing... I just moved my data out of the program folder to the ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/VisibleTesla folder but can see the old data through the app. Odd...

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be possible to schedule an unlock?
I have my schedule to pre-heat the cabin every weekday morning so that the car is nice and toasty to take the kids to school. This morning, I came downstairs and the kids were standing at the car, frantically pushing on the handles to get in the car... Still locked.

Maybe add a Safe setting where you can specify GPS coordinates so that you could schedule unlock at your house if the car is in the garage?

Awesome job. I love VisibleTesla and use it daily! Thanks again for your hard work!

VisibleTesla on iPad

Thanks so much.

As Klaus said, you can't do it natively. However you can on iOS if you jailbreak. Beyond that, I'd ask what you want to do on the iPad beyond what you can do with the official Tesla app (many of the features of VT like logging and graphing definitely are more suited for the desktop). However if you must...here is VisibleTesla running on my iPad. It is possible with some free software and no jailbreak via PC or Mac RDP.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389132771.717235.jpg

ChargeState while sleeping is unreliable

Folks,

I (and others) have seen a weird behavior where part or all of the data that should be collected while your car is charging is not collected.

Here's a typical scenario:
  • VisibleTesla is in sleep mode
  • Your car is asleep
  • a scheduled charge begins
  • The next morning you look at your graph and see either no charge data or charge data with gaps (typically 30 minutes)

I have a highly instrumented version of VT that is showing that the data returned when I ask the car if it is charging is not always accurate. There are times when the car is charging when the data says it isn't. VT deems the car to be charging if the Charge State is "charging" OR the rate of charge is greater than 0. Each of these individually has proven unreliable. However, I've now witnessed several instances when these are both false and yet the car is in fact charging. When this happens VT will not collect data - it sees no activity and it's trying to let you car go to sleep.

If you're doing a short charge, less then 30 minutes, you may not see any data at all. For longer charges you may miss 30 minute chunks at the beginning, middle, or end of the charge.

This is similar to the "unplugged?" test in the scheduler. The "Pilot Current" data used to determine whether the car is plugged in is also sometimes faulty. In that case I query twice just to be sure. I may have to do the same here. If it says it's not charging, then wait a few seconds and ask again. If it still says it's not charging, then believe it.

This is just a heads up to explain why you may be experiencing odd behavior here. There is no fix yet, but I'm looking into it.

Joe

Hi Joe,
This issue is greater than just the ChargeState. I have been seeing complete trips missed and sometimes huge gaps in trips.

I'm wondering if Tesla's servers are starting to bog down with the large number of cars and data demands.

Folks,

I (and others) have seen a weird behavior where part or all of the data that should be collected while your car is charging is not collected.

Here's a typical scenario:
  • VisibleTesla is in sleep mode
  • Your car is asleep
  • a scheduled charge begins
  • The next morning you look at your graph and see either no charge data or charge data with gaps (typically 30 minutes)

I have a highly instrumented version of VT that is showing that the data returned when I ask the car if it is charging is not always accurate. There are times when the car is charging when the data says it isn't. VT deems the car to be charging if the Charge State is "charging" OR the rate of charge is greater than 0. Each of these individually has proven unreliable. However, I've now witnessed several instances when these are both false and yet the car is in fact charging. When this happens VT will not collect data - it sees no activity and it's trying to let you car go to sleep.

If you're doing a short charge, less then 30 minutes, you may not see any data at all. For longer charges you may miss 30 minute chunks at the beginning, middle, or end of the charge.

This is similar to the "unplugged?" test in the scheduler. The "Pilot Current" data used to determine whether the car is plugged in is also sometimes faulty. In that case I query twice just to be sure. I may have to do the same here. If it says it's not charging, then wait a few seconds and ask again. If it still says it's not charging, then believe it.

This is just a heads up to explain why you may be experiencing odd behavior here. There is no fix yet, but I'm looking into it.

Joe

Hi Joe,
This issue is greater than just the ChargeState. I have been seeing complete trips missed and sometimes huge gaps in trips.

I'm wondering if Tesla's servers are starting to bog down with the large number of cars and data demands.

Hi MichaelS,

If you or anyone else has a circumstance where parts or all of trips are missed, it would be great to get further data. If this happens again and you're running 0.25.02, I would appreciate:
  • Knowing whether VT was it in sleep mode when the trip occurred
  • Knowing whether the car was in sleep mode when the trip began (if you remember)
  • Getting the visibletesla.log file from that run of the application. It is overwritten each time, so when you see this problem:
    • Quit the app
    • Copy visibletesla.log somewhere else (like your desktop)
    • Restart the app
  • Getting the exported location data (File->Export Location Data...)
  • Knowing the time span of the actual trip
  • Knowing the time frame that was captured (as indicated by the trips tab or graphs tab)

The visibletesla.log file will from version 0.25.02 will tell me when VT probed the car and what the car is saying about it's state. The exported location data will show me exactly when data was collected. I know it's a bunch of work to collect all this, but without it I have no visibility into what's happening. Even with it I may not be able to catch the problem, but at least there is a chance.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,
I would be happy to send you the log files. I am running version 25.02.

I was not aware that VT would go into sleep mode. (Is that when the title bar says "sleeping since XX:XX"?)

Michael

Hi MichaelS,

If you or anyone else has a circumstance where parts or all of trips are missed, it would be great to get further data. If this happens again and you're running 0.25.02, I would appreciate:
  • Knowing whether the car was in sleep mode when the trip began (if you remember)
  • Getting the visibletesla.log file from that run of the application. It is overwritten each time, so when you see this problem:
    • Quit the app
    • Restart the app
  • Knowing the time frame that was captured (as indicated by the trips tab or graphs tab)

The visibletesla.log file will from version 0.25.02 will tell me when VT probed the car and what the car is saying about it's state. The exported location data will show me exactly when data was collected. I know it's a bunch of work to collect all this, but without it I have no visibility into what's happening. Even with it I may not be able to catch the problem, but at least there is a chance.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,
It seems that VT is going to sleep and not communicating with the car any more even though the car is awake.
Here is what happened today.
1. Car was charging, almost full.
2. I went out to relax a bit during lunch in the car and listen to some music.
3. Got out of the car at 1330, unplugged the car and left it.
4. VT shows sleeping since 1243
5. Car finished charging at about 1256
6. Got another data point at 12:58
7. Then another at 1328 (May have occurred when I clicked charge tab.)

Here is the log file:
Jan 09, 2014 12:16:46 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$DoLogin run
INFO: Vehicle Info: {"color":null,"display_name":null,"id":443,"option_codes":"MS01,RENA,TM00,DRLH,PF00,BT60,PMMB,RFPO,WT19,IBMB,IDPB,TR00,SU01,SC01,TP01,AU00,CH00,HP00,PA00,PS00,AD02,X014,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011","state":"online","tokens":[],"user_id":640,"vehicle_id":614038162,"vin":"5YJSA1CG4DFP03547"}
Jan 09, 2014 12:16:50 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 10 requests in 10 seconds - https://streaming.vn.teslamotors.com/stream/614038162/?values=odometer,speed,soc,elevation,est_heading,est_lat,est_lng,power,shift_state,range,est_range,heading
Jan 09, 2014 12:16:50 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
INFO: Throttling: More than 10 requests in 10 seconds - https://streaming.vn.teslamotors.com/stream/614038162/?values=odometer,speed,soc,elevation,est_heading,est_lat,est_lng,power,shift_state,range,est_range,heading
Jan 09, 2014 12:16:55 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Jan 09, 2014 12:16:55 PM org.noroomattheinn.utils.RestyWrapper rateLimit
Jan 09, 2014 12:25:15 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Snapshot GET failed: java.io.IOException: Error while reading from GET: [404] Not Found
unable to resolve vehicle

Jan 09, 2014 12:29:20 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Snapshot GET failed: java.io.IOException: Error while reading from GET: [404] Not Found

Jan 09, 2014 12:29:21 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:37:34 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:37:35 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:37:36 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:37:37 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:39:44 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection

Jan 09, 2014 12:45:54 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
INFO: Authorization problem, getting new token
Jan 09, 2014 12:45:55 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're awake or charging or both, so probe again soon
Jan 09, 2014 12:47:59 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 12:50:03 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 12:52:08 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 12:54:11 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 12:56:13 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 12:58:15 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're not moving, charging, or awake, so give the car a chance to sleep
Jan 09, 2014 1:03:16 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're giving the car a chance to sleep
Jan 09, 2014 1:08:16 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 1:13:17 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 1:18:17 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 1:23:18 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 1:28:22 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.SnapshotState establishStreamingConnection
INFO: Authorization problem, getting new token
Jan 09, 2014 1:28:23 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
INFO: We're not moving, charging, or awake, so give the car a chance to sleep
Jan 09, 2014 1:33:24 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run
Jan 09, 2014 1:38:24 PM org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run

I'm seeing issues too. Missing huge chunks of data... Will send logs Fri evening or Sat morning and give examples of what I was doing.

It was worst today than yesterday too... It only captured a couple minutes of my 40 minute commute. It also looks like the app didn't let it go to sleep this afternoon for a few hours...

@jpasqua. VT is great! i was wondering if you could imagine adding a feature to specify a "home" lat/lon and a "radius" in feet or meters around it, and a "url" to call when the car enters that radius (from outside it) ? that would make it possible for VT to interact with several home automation systems to, for example, open the garage when the car gets within 1 mile of home automatically. Sorry if thats a silly question (i did search the tread before posting, though perhaps imperfectly). Thanks.

• Quit the app
    • Restart the app

Thanks,
Joe

I'm seeing issues too. Missing huge chunks of data... Will send logs Fri evening or Sat morning and give examples of what I was doing.

It was worst today than yesterday too... It only captured a couple minutes of my 40 minute commute. It also looks like the app didn't let it go to sleep this afternoon for a few hours...

Joe -
Issues continue. It didn't log anything today after lunch. I'll PM you my logs just after I post this.

I added a comment column to the location file -- gives you info on what was going on at that time stamp. To answer your questions above:
- VT was in sleep-allowed mode at all times
- The car was asleep for all drives in the log file except this morning -- I noted that I woke the car with VT a few minutes prior to departing this morning. Interestingly, it also has a logging gap of ~30 min (others were ~20 min).
- I included the .log file and the location export data file. One thing I noticed -- it appears the time stamps in the .log file are 1 hour later than the location file. I'm guessing the .log file is logging Pacific time, while the location file has the correct local time for me -- Mountain.

Hi Joe,

My trips were also not available after 3 january 2014. Its not clear to me how to use this feature (which setting etc.) to get the trips visible again. My setting is "Allow daydreaming" and I'm using version 0.25.02 on a iMac. All other features seems to work. What am I doing wrong? Each time I want to use the standard Tesla app on my iPhone it needs to get awake and this will take a few minutes. Do I need to configure my VT application in a other way? Thanks for your help and I'm very enthusiastic about your initiative.

parapom, The Netherlands

Just installed the application.

At what stage can one first do anything at all with it? I have ordered a car which is "having parts sourced" at the moment. I can log into VT with the same Tesla account details I used to order the car (although my screen looks like MJKA's as mine is also a high pixel density screen).

The application currently just sits on that screen once it has confirmed login. Does the car need to be built and delivered, or just be in construction, or indeed be an order before the application should be able to find it?

(Clearly I don't expect operational data from the car until it exists!)

Hi All,

Thanks to input from ZBB I've found another tweak to the Sleep Mode that should allow it to capture more trips.

Having said that, I don't see any way to make it possible for VT to guarantee to capture all trips while in sleep mode. Let me explain why.

The fundamental purpose of sleep mode is to allow your car to be able to fall asleep. To do this, it cannot query it for any information like speed or direction. Doing so would keep your car awake. If your car is already awake and the app is in sleep mode, it will stop talking to your car for 30 minutes to give it a chance to go to sleep. During this time, trips will be missed. For example, let's say that 5 minutes into this period your car is still awake but just sitting there. VT doesn't want to ask it if its moving, because that would stop it from going to sleep. Instead, it keeps waiting. 5 minutes later you get into the car and drive it away. VT sees that it is still awake, but once again, VT doesn't talk to the car since you told it to leave the car alone. Eventually 30 minutes pass and VT tests to see if the car is still awake. If it is, it says "aha, something else is keeping the car awake, so I'll probe it to see what's going on. It won't be my fault that the car is still awake - something else is keeping it up or it would have been asleep by now." At this point you may still be driving in which case the rest of the trip would be captured, or your trip might be over in which case none of the trip would have been captured. This is how trips are missed.

VT is purposely not talking to your car in order to let it go asleep. With the current API I don't see any way to achieve the goal of allowing the car to go to sleep and simultaneously not missing any data. The first requires not talking to the car and the second requires talking to the car. Since the car has no way of signaling that something has changed, I don't see a way around this impasse.

I am very open to suggestions. I get around this problem by using the scheduler to let my car sleep at night and during the middle of the day, and daydream the rest of the time. Given my normal habits, this makes it is very unlikely that I miss trips. Not everyone has predictable patterns - especially on weekends. If the car had a way of notifying the app that it was being kept awake by other activity, that would solve the problem. One wacky idea I had was to allow you to go to a web page from your car's browser and click on a button that would notify your version of VT that it should wake up. This is both non-trivial (NAT and firewall traversal) and a pain since it is not automatic.

As I said, I'm very open to ideas. For the time being I don't see an automatic solution.

Joe

P.S. The current version of VT (not released yet) will notice if the car transitions from being asleep to being awake. For example, let's say it is 8 AM and the app and car are both asleep. You get into the car and drive away. at 8:05 VT says "hey, the car is awake and it used to be asleep. I didn't wake it up so something else must have done it. Since someone else woke it up, I'll collect some data." In this case, only 5 minutes of the trip will be missed (at most).