Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, well spotted! I used the snevl PI for a while until I moved to HS3 last year. I now use Paul Huddlestone's PI which was done in consultation with snevl.

actually, I want to track the car more than my phone - and the power drain as a percentage of the car battery to do so accurately is negligible whereas it's a heavy drain on an iPhone I found.

i am starting to think what an interface of HS to a model S might offer..... Any thoughts?

I've been using a basic windows form app I created. I use the tools here hjespers/teslams · GitHub (basically the streaming.js) which puts location and all telemetry data into a mongo database. This data is up to the second and incredibly accurate. It extracts the location data from a mongo database and puts it I to snevl's PI. So I just poll the database every 3 seconds and it tracks me. I guess we could find out from Huddlestone whether he could incorporate it as I was thinking of moving to HS3 but don't want to lose this functionality. My wife doesn't tease me anymore...

Is there any value to a geofencing notification that would trigger if your car leaves or approaches a specified location?

I've assumed not since most people probably have this functionality in their phones.

I think it would be useful since the geofencing in, e.g., iOS is limited and doesn't allow external automation. For that I've tried the IFTTT geofencing triggers but I've found this buggy. I think geofencing in VT in combination with the general email capability you are building in will be much more reliable and versatile.

Geofencing would be very helpful if it can make an http post to a user defined URL when the MS enters or exits a fence.

This could cause a home automation system to, for example, open or close a garage door when my MS leaves or returns home... Something I do not want to happen when my iPhone and I just leave home to go for a walk :)

Noticed some unwanted behaviour today. Yesterday my battery was down to about 65%, my scheduled charge to 80% started at 3.00AM

So last evening I set VT to set charge to 100% at 6:25 and start charge at 6:30 , VT was in allow daydream mode.

This morning I checked with my iPhone and couldn't connect (deep sleep), even after 2-3 retries. So I walked to the car and started the charge manually.

vt1.png
vt2.png

It seems from the graph that VT went into "allow sleep" mode after this scheduled charge? Is this a bug, feature or (my) user error? ;)

VT to the rescue.
today while charging, I checked my VT and found that the leaf owner who parked next to me had unplugged me (and plugged themselves in).
He was plugged in for an hour before I noticed.
Unfortunately I had set my Notify to "charge complete" because when I had "anything" I would always get two messages when charging.
1. Charge complete. 2. Unplugged. The situation that I forgot about when I unset the "anything" option is when the 2 comes before 1.

I seem to have a problem with the graphs. I have V 025.07 and no graphs are shown anymore. The rest of the functionality, like eg trips, seems oke. I tried unselecting them and selecting again but unfortunatly empty.
How can I get them back without hopefully not losing any historic data.

Geofencing would be very helpful if it can make an http post to a user defined URL when the MS enters or exits a fence.

This could cause a home automation system to, for example, open or close a garage door when my MS leaves or returns home... Something I do not want to happen when my iPhone and I just leave home to go for a walk :)
My experience with geofencing own an iPhone 5S (which has hardware GPS assist) is poor.

phones prioritise power management above all else and so they sleep most of the time. Geofencing is only checked when the phone does its occasional wake ups and so you can be minutes since crossing the fence before it reports.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been using a basic windows form app I created. I use the tools here hjespers/teslams · GitHub (basically the streaming.js) which puts location and all telemetry data into a mongo database. This data is up to the second and incredibly accurate. It extracts the location data from a mongo database and puts it I to snevl's PI. So I just poll the database every 3 seconds and it tracks me. I guess we could find out from Huddlestone whether he could incorporate it as I was thinking of moving to HS3 but don't want to lose this functionality. My wife doesn't tease me anymore...
I am sure he would incorporate it though his PlugIn emphasises current position rather than journeys. He is one of those developers with a perfectionist streak - exactly what I like :)

Any measurable impact on the car's range from frequent external polling? Or do you just look at what Tesla Central collect periodically anyway?

- - - Reply to LuckyLuke - - -

Noticed some unwanted behaviour today. Yesterday my battery was down to about 65%, my scheduled charge to 80% started at 3.00AM

So last evening I set VT to set charge to 100% at 6:25 and start charge at 6:30 , VT was in allow daydream mode.

This morning I checked with my iPhone and couldn't connect (deep sleep), even after 2-3 retries. So I walked to the car and started the charge manually.

[IMAGES OMITTED]

It seems from the graph that VT went into "allow sleep" mode after this scheduled charge? Is this a bug, feature or (my) user error? ;)

Sorry you're having this problem LuckyLuke. Would you please send me the log file that corresponds to the time that this happened? You can read about the log files in the FAQ. Look at the troubleshooting section. The logs will tell me what VisibleTesla was doing when it should have been starting the charge. I suspect that if you could not connect via the iPhone, VisibleTesla was having a hard time connecting too. Hopefully I can figure that out from the logs.

- - - Reply to mda - - -

I don't know that the geofencing I am considering would be useful for this because that would require very tight polling of the location. This will be more appropriate for an action that can take place a minute or so after the enter/exit of the geofence.

You can use something like IFTTT to convert the notification from VT into an http get.

- - - Reply to dsmith2189 - - -

VT to the rescue.
today while charging, I checked my VT and found that the leaf owner who parked next to me had unplugged me (and plugged themselves in).
He was plugged in for an hour before I noticed.
Unfortunately I had set my Notify to "charge complete" because when I had "anything" I would always get two messages when charging.
1. Charge complete. 2. Unplugged. The situation that I forgot about when I unset the "anything" option is when the 2 comes before 1.

Yeah, I always leave my charge state notification in "Anything" mode. I get some notifications I don't care about, but I don't tend to miss any.

I am sure he would incorporate it though his PlugIn emphasises current position rather than journeys. He is one of those developers with a perfectionist streak - exactly what I like :)

Any measurable impact on the car's range from frequent external polling? Or do you just look at what Tesla Central collect periodically anyway?

The car is polled continuously by tesla when it is driving. When it is not driving it's like every 2 minutes. Of course, it doesn't poll when it's asleep. It's not really a poll, it collects your position to the foot while you're driving, ie ideal. All the programs do is collect the data from the mother ship as they are collecting it. This is how accurate and up to the second. You can imagine how good my geofencing is. Obviously there can't be any extra range loss unless you are keeping the car awake which you are not. From hjespers/teslams · GitHub

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394423792.573468.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394423792.573468.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 437
The car is polled continuously by tesla when it is driving. When it is not driving it's like every 2 minutes. Of course, it doesn't poll when it's asleep. It's not really a poll, it collects your position to the foot while you're driving, ie ideal. All the programs do is collect the data from the mother ship as they are collecting it. This is how accurate and up to the second. You can imagine how good my geofencing is. Obviously there can't be any extra range loss unless you are keeping the car awake which you are not. From hjespers/teslams · GitHub
Very nice. If I had my car yet (one of the early RHD versions) I'd be trying it now.

PM me if you'd like contact details for PH to see whether he can easily import your data so that you plan a move to HS3

Do you actually get data stored that often? If I set VisibleTesla to the location tab, go for a drive, then hit Map It! after a trip is done, my points are nowhere near as close as what I was getting from my MongoDB teslams/visualize.js setup. VisibleTesla only gives me 20-21 points for my whole 10 mile/15 minute drive to work. Certainly nothing like that image.

Do you actually get data stored that often? If I set VisibleTesla to the location tab, go for a drive, then hit Map It! after a trip is done, my points are nowhere near as close as what I was getting from my MongoDB teslams/visualize.js setup. VisibleTesla only gives me 20-21 points for my whole 10 mile/15 minute drive to work. Certainly nothing like that image.

I'm not sure I'm right, but I think the difference is visible tesla is not using the streaming api but is using the rest api. The streaming api is the one which gets all those data points. And yes, they are all put in the database...

Hello,
LOOOOOVE the app! I've tried to help myself, so please excuse me if my question is already answered but I did try to look for it...
I'd like the app to wake my car at 9 PM, and send me an email if the charge cable is not plugged in. Can anyone tell me how to do just that? I'd even take an email with the cable state so I quit forgetting to plug it in at night.
Thanks!

I'm not sure I'm right, but I think the difference is visible tesla is not using the streaming api but is using the rest api. The streaming api is the one which gets all those data points. And yes, they are all put in the database...

VisibleTesla uses the streaming API only when you're in the Location Tab and your car is moving. It switches back and forth between data collection methods automatically. Teslams is a much more flexible data collection tool.

Joe