Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
LOOOOOVE the app! I've tried to help myself, so please excuse me if my question is already answered but I did try to look for it...
I'd like the app to wake my car at 9 PM, and send me an email if the charge cable is not plugged in. Can anyone tell me how to do just that? I'd even take an email with the cable state so I quit forgetting to plug it in at night.
Thanks!

Hi benfrank3,

I'm glad you're enjoying the app. You can use the "Unplugged?" Command on the Scheduler tab. You can read about it here: The Scheduler Tab

VisibleTesla uses the streaming API only when you're in the Location Tab and your car is moving. It switches back and forth between data collection methods automatically. Teslams is a much more flexible data collection tool.

Joe

So if I'm understanding correctly, since I permanently leave VisibleTesla on the Location tab (and it runs 24/7), I should be pulling data using the streaming API when moving? Any idea what would prevent that from being true? I certainly am just getting a few points here and there.

The very first time I took my vehicle out with VisibleTesla running I got streaming data points up until I hit the first stop light, but never since.

If there's anything I can do to help diagnose, just let me know.

So if I'm understanding correctly, since I permanently leave VisibleTesla on the Location tab (and it runs 24/7), I should be pulling data using the streaming API when moving? Any idea what would prevent that from being true? I certainly am just getting a few points here and there.

The very first time I took my vehicle out with VisibleTesla running I got streaming data points up until I hit the first stop light, but never since.

If there's anything I can do to help diagnose, just let me know.

Hi Gizmotoy,

You are understanding correctly. Would you please send me a log file that corresponds to the time that this happened? You can read about the log files in the FAQ. Look at the troubleshooting section. The logs may give me a clue as to what is going on. It's probably best to generate a fresh log that isn't too big. Just quit the app and restart it. Once you see the incorrect behavior, save off the log file and send it to me at joe at NoRoomAtTheInn dot org.

Joe

VisibleTesla - The Pi Day Release

VisibleTesla 0.26.00 can be downloaded here or using the HelpCheck for Updates command. This version has experimental components as described below, but the overall release has not been labeled experimental. If you steer clear of the experimental options, you should be on solid ground.

The primary changes in this release are enhancements to the Notify Tab and include custom message targets and geofencing.

VisibleTesla 0.26.00 [03-14-2014]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Refinement: [EXPERIMENTAL] - Trying a different approach to implementing proxies. Continuing to look for an approach that works.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
      • Addition: Customized Addresses and Subjects
        • Added the capbility to customize the messages sent for each notification. This allows you to override the email address and/or subject line for each type of notification. For example, you may configure the Speed Hits or Exceeds notification to be sent to a different email address than the one configured in the Prefs Tab. You could also configure the subject of the Charge State Becomes notification to be a special word or phrase. This functionality can be used to take actions based on these notifications using a system like IFTTT.
        • To use this feature, press the + button at the far right of any notification definition. A dialog will pop up allowing you to specify an email address and/or a subject. You may also select Use default values, in which case the default email address and subject will be used. If you leave either field (email address or subject) blank, the default will be used for the blank item.
      • Addition: Geofencing [EXPERIMENTAL]
        • You can now get a notification when your car enters a specified area or exists a specified area. These areas can be different. An area is defined by a location and a radius in meters. You set the location by typing in an address. The corresponding latitude and longitude are determined for you. A slider allows you to specify a radius around that location to yield the area of interest. You define this area by pressing the Define Area button next to the Car entered area or Car left area checkboxes.
        • Pressing this button will pop up a dialog that lets you enter the address which defines the center of the area. You'll notice that the OK button is disabled any time you edit the address field. To make it active you must press the Lookup button. It will lookup the address and show it to you on a map to ensure it can be found and is what you intended. If it's not, you can change the address and try again. If it is what you want, just make sure the radius is set to your liking and hit OK.
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • Removed some code that is no longer used.
  • Known problems

VisibleTesla sending over 6000 notifications/month

VisibleTesla sent over 6000 notification messages last month from the central mail sending account on MailGun. It's trending toward 6500 this month. There's no way for me to know how many additional messages were sent from personal MailGun accounts*. This is basically the only statistic I have on VisibleTesla usage so I'm happy to see the activity.

Joe

* VisibleTesla has a central account for sending email, but users may create their own accounts if they wish. See details here. I get usage stats from the central accounts, but not the personal accounts (which is the point of the personal accounts).

VisibleTesla sent over 6000 notification messages last month from the central mail sending account on MailGun. It's trending toward 6500 this month. There's no way for me to know how many additional messages were sent from personal MailGun accounts*. This is basically the only statistic I have on VisibleTesla usage so I'm happy to see the activity.

Just checked my inbox and I found 121 notifications from VisibleTesla since late december, 58 in February alone.
Mostly charge state notifications.
If we assume I am a typical user, that translates to more than 100 active users of notifcations.
Not bad at all!
Thanks a lot for the effort and great app!

- - - Updated - - -

I am not having much luck setting up geofencing.
When I try to find a place using the Define Area button it seems to mostly go to this place regardless of what i search for:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=59,744074,10,204456(Area)&z=18&output=embed

I just did the upgrade. Be advised that the "Once" check boxes all defaulted on in the Scheduler tab. You probably don't want this to be defaulting on.

Hi Doug_G,

Thanks for warning people that the first time they use a version that has the new "Once" checkbox, they potentially need to update the settings depending on their old values for the "Safe" checkbox. This is in the release notes for 0.25.06 (which is when the change happened), but folks who skipped that version probably wouldn't have noticed.

Joe

- - - Reply to Veggen - - -

I am not having much luck setting up geofencing.
When I try to find a place using the Define Area button it seems to mostly go to this place regardless of what i search for:
59,744074,10,204456(Area) - Google Maps

Hi Veggen,

I appreciate you trying out this feature. Would you mind doing an experiment for me?
  • Go to the Notify Tab
  • Click the Define Area button for "Car entered" or "Car left" - doesn't matter which
  • In the address box, enter only the zip code 93921
  • Click lookup
A map should be displayed showing Carmel, CA. Is that what you're seeing?

If not, would you mind checking the end of the log file to see if there are any error messages related to geolocation?

If none of that works, I can make a special debug version for you so we can try to isolate the problem.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Nope, that zip code is still getting me the same location as most other searches, somewhere close to Coffeyville, Kansas.
However if I search for "carmel", its actually working correctly...
Not seeing any error messages in the log file.

Just checked my inbox and I found 121 notifications from VisibleTesla since late december, 58 in February alone.
Mostly charge state notifications.
If we assume I am a typical user, that translates to more than 100 active users of notifcations.
Not bad at all!
Thanks a lot for the effort and great app!

You may not be that typical. I usually get 1 to 10 notifications daily. Don't remember to turn it on every day. My computer is off at night.

Desired feature: Sum up kWh for a month of AC charging

It would be nice if VT would allow you to add up your kWh from AC charging over month-long periods. I need to do this to repay my condo for the 120V feed.

Does anyone have an Excel method of doing this? Needs to skip over supercharger charges etc.

It would be nice if VT would allow you to add up your kWh from AC charging over month-long periods. I need to do this to repay my condo for the 120V feed.

Does anyone have an Excel method of doing this? Needs to skip over supercharger charges etc.

I have one of these:

Watts Up Power Analyzer and Watt Meter Electricity Monitor 1250 Watts | eBay

It's good because you can plug in your actual cost of electricity, and it meters exactly how much energy my car has used for charging. Here's a photo of mine via a webcam so I can check it at anytime.. currently says I've used $29 this month. There are other watt meters available, too.

snapshot.cgi

Addition: Geofencing [EXPERIMENTAL]
  • You can now get a notification when your car enters a specified area or exists a specified area. These areas can be different. An area is defined by a location and a radius in meters. You set the location by typing in an address. The corresponding latitude and longitude are determined for you. A slider allows you to specify a radius around that location to yield the area of interest. You define this area by pressing the Define Area button next to the Car entered area or Car left area checkboxes.

I love this idea.. are you going to allow less than 20 mile radii to be plugged in once you have it tested out? I can understand if you make it too small you could get a lot of false positives for jitter in GPS position.. but if you do 15 seconds of samples and that average is used or some such.. that could minimize that.
I'm actually wishing it could be set to 1 mile radius..

UPDATE: I'm blind and stupid.. the radius is in meters! not miles! please ignore.

Last edited:
I tried to login into visible tesla without having my car. The program idles for a few seconds en returns to the login screen without error message.
Now I got my car, and the iphone app works fine. But Visible Tesla still reacts the same.

How to troubleshoot this problem?

Tried it on macbook air, macbook pro and a windows server 2008 r2.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to add a notification for if the vehicle has been parked with all doors closed for some time, maybe 10 minutes, and is still unlocked? There's been a couple times where I'm giving a "Tesla Talk" or something to curious parties, or otherwise hanging out near the car. Then I walk away and go about my business as normal. The problem is if the key's been within range of the vehicle for 5 minutes after all the doors were closed, walk-away locking is disabled.

It'd be nice if I could set up a "Hey, you didn't lock me!" text.