Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VisibleTesla - Star Wars Day Edition

VisibleTesla 0.27.00 is available just in time for Star Wars Day. May the 4th be with you. This version is experimental given the wide ranging set of changes to the underlying code and build process. It will not be offered by the update mechanism unless you've set the preference for experimental versions.

For the Mac users out there, this release comes with a bundled Mac application (see the notes below). You can download it here. This supersedes the "fake" bundled app that was included last time around. This is fully contained including the right version of Java.

For Windows and Linux users (and Mac users who like the "raw" version) you can download it here as usual.

For developers: github is up to date with this version.

VisibleTesla 0.27.00 [05-04-2014] - [EXPERIMENTAL]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Refinement: Starting with this release a fully packaged Mac app available as a separate download. When you use the Help→Check for Updates menu item or an auto-update is performed, you'll be presented with a link that allows you to download the bundled app rather than the generic package. The underpinnings are there to add a bundled app for Windows and Linux too, but those aren't on the task list yet.TMC.com user araxara has been graciously building and host a bundled Mac app for quite a while and this bundled version is no different except that it supports the updating feature and uses a new icon (which can be changed either at build time or by updating the package).
      • Refinement: Refined the logic in calculating Vampire Loss statistics. The code makes better guesses about what to do in the facing of missing data.
      • Fixed: The update mechanism would fail silently with certain errors and the user would have no indication of what happened. That has been improved.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Fixed: Major revision to the way streaming data works. There should be very few user visible changes other than bugs going away. In particular, some users noticed that data would stop streaming at random points while the Location Tab was in use.
    • Charge
    • Graphs
      • Refinement: In some cases you will see more data samples for speed and power if you select the Stream when possible option in the Prefs Tab. See below.
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
    • Prefs
      • Refinement: In the Location section of the Prefs Tab there is a new checkbox labeled Stream when possible. If checked, this tells VisibleTesla to stream location data opportunistically even when not on the Location Tab. When the car is not moving this will have no net effect, when the car is moving, more streaming location data will be captured. The exception is very short trips (less than 2 minutes).
  • Under-the-covers
    • Fixed: Fairly significant overhaul to the way the app coordinates use of the streaming data api. This manifests in the ways listed above under Location, Graphs, and Prefs.
    • Refinement: Modified the Mac app bundling task to remove a duplicate library, which decreased the download size by about 10%.
  • Known problems

Last edited:
Has anyone experimented with running VisibleTesla on a headless server?

The only computer I leave running all the time is my unRaid server. I plan to spend some time to see if I can get VisibleTesla running all it's wonderful scheduling and data collection on my server.

Has anyone experimented with sharing app data between multiple systems via Dropbox?

Has anyone experimented with running VisibleTesla on a headless server?

The only computer I leave running all the time is my unRaid server. I plan to spend some time to see if I can get VisibleTesla running all it's wonderful scheduling and data collection on my server.

Has anyone experimented with sharing app data between multiple systems via Dropbox?

User zax123 tried a similar thing some time ago. Check out his post. I'm not sure if he ever got it working. Does it have a virtual framebuffer? Can you connect with VNC?

You can share app data via Dropbox, but you should only have one instance running at a time. The app can't do file locking across dropbox and you don't want two versions writing to the files at once.

User zax123 tried a similar thing some time ago. Check out his post. I'm not sure if he ever got it working. Does it have a virtual framebuffer? Can you connect with VNC?

You can share app data via Dropbox, but you should only have one instance running at a time. The app can't do file locking across dropbox and you don't want two versions writing to the files at once.

I just might give this a try on Linux. It is simple to setup a vnc X server and connect that way. You do have to be sure to install all required rpms to run the X server.

Hi everybody
I don't see any trips in my Visible Tesla app. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have the app up and "running" on my MAC to collect a trip? Please help, Thanks
/Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, VisibleTesla must be running in order to capture the location information that is used by the Trips tab. It must also be running to collect graph data, run scheduled events, and send notifications. The app must also not be asleep. Your computer can't be asleep either.

VisibleTesla cannot collect trip information from the car after the fact. That would be really nice, but it's currently not possible.

Joe

HI @jpasqua - would it be possible to add the ability for VT to call a URL when entering the geofence and another URL when exiting the geofence? That would make it easy to integrate with home automation systems (e.g.: to open the garage when approaching the house). Thanks!

Love, love, love this app. Having a small problem that I'd like to get some feedback on. I notice frequently that the app reports my car as sleeping when in fact I had been driving for a good 25 minutes. My Prefs are "Wake on Tab Change" unchecked, Idle Threshold 19 minutes and I allow sleeping. Curious if dropping the threshold will have an affect on this behavior in the app.

Warning: noob alert. I know enough linux to get myself into trouble, but not enough to solve it. I've sucessfully gotten visibleTesla running on my windows machine, now trying it on an Ubuntu VPS server (OpenFX). I've tried running this with both the openjdk-7 and the official Oracle JDK packages, neither will fully launch the application.

The top few lines of the error log when I try to launch the .jar file are:

WARNING: Failed to build instance of class javafx.scene.web.WebView using class javafx.scene.web.WebViewBuilder
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

I'm happy to try just about anything - maybe I'll luck out and this is a common/known issue... I troubleshoot software problems for a living, but unfortunately I have very little experience doing so with java/linux environments...

I'm new to VisibleTesla and it looks like a great app.

I'm running version 0.27.00 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and am trying to get the TRIPS to work but I'm not seeing any data. The Graphs are displaying data however.
I have the app running while driving but there is no trip data showing.
The data folder appears to have to info in the .LOCS (2k ) and .STATS (8k) files.

Collect Location Data and Stream when possible are both checked
Is there a configuration item that I'm missing ?

-------Update------------
I restarted the app and the TRIP showed up.
AMAZING

Last edited:
Love, love, love this app. Having a small problem that I'd like to get some feedback on. I notice frequently that the app reports my car as sleeping when in fact I had been driving for a good 25 minutes. My Prefs are "Wake on Tab Change" unchecked, Idle Threshold 19 minutes and I allow sleeping. Curious if dropping the threshold will have an affect on this behavior in the app.

Hi DJ,

When the title bar of VisibleTesla says something like "[sleeping at 22:00]", it means that the app is sleeping. It does not mean that the car is sleeping.

Check out "Understanding Sleep Mode" from the documentation for more details.

Some tidbits:
  • When the title bar says something like "[sleeping at 22:00]" it indicates that the app is in allow sleep mode which gives the car the opportunity to go to sleep if appropriate.
  • When the app is asleep it doesn't collect data. That would keep the car awake which would defeat the purpose of "allow sleep"
  • Even when the app is in sleep mode, it periodically checks whether the car is awake. It can do that without waking it up.
  • If it is awake, VT will collect data from it

If you have more questions about what is going on, please send me a log file and I can look into it. The log contains lines like:
2014-05-05 21:46:23 INFO ...StatsStreamer$AutoCollect run App Asleep, Car Asleep, interval = 1800
These tell me what state the app and car were in and what VT was up to at the time.

- - - Reply to user mda - - -

HI @jpasqua - would it be possible to add the ability for VT to call a URL when entering the geofence and another URL when exiting the geofence? That would make it easy to integrate with home automation systems (e.g.: to open the garage when approaching the house). Thanks!

Hi mda,

I believe user @musterion is doing this with IFTTT integration. He asked that I implement the ability to send each notification to a different email address and optionally specify the subject line so that the receiving service could easily tell what to do with the notification. I haven't looked into this myself, but VT does support this. Let me know if this will work for you.

- - - Reply to user ljwobker - - -

Warning: noob alert. I know enough linux to get myself into trouble, but not enough to solve it. I've sucessfully gotten visibleTesla running on my windows machine, now trying it on an Ubuntu VPS server (OpenFX). I've tried running this with both the openjdk-7 and the official Oracle JDK packages, neither will fully launch the application.

The top few lines of the error log when I try to launch the .jar file are:

WARNING: Failed to build instance of class javafx.scene.web.WebView using class javafx.scene.web.WebViewBuilder
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

I'm happy to try just about anything - maybe I'll luck out and this is a common/known issue... I troubleshoot software problems for a living, but unfortunately I have very little experience doing so with java/linux environments...

Hi ljwobker,

To be honest I haven't tested VT on Linux for a while. Last time I did it was on Mint (version 15 I think). Which version of the Oracle JDK were you using? It should be at least
1.7.0_25.

If anyone else is successfully running VT on Linux and has suggestions, please chime in.

Joe

I'm very much interested running it headless on linux. A command line mode would be fantastic. You could then run this as a daemon and let it collect crucial data and output that to a folder, dropbox or email. I would love this!
Anyone working on this?

I'm very much interested running it headless on linux. A command line mode would be fantastic. You could then run this as a daemon and let it collect crucial data and output that to a folder, dropbox or email. I would love this!
Anyone working on this?

It's not VisibleTesla, but it's already done! Check out the great teslams project. It gives you access to everything in the API, allows you to store data in a database, visualize your results, and more. Here is the github link:
hjespers/teslams · GitHub
And here is one of the forum threads:
TeslaMS tools for telemetry data visualization

The primary author is TMC user hans.

I just upgraded from 0.26 to 0.27 and now graphs is no longer working for me. Whenever I launch the app and switch to the Graph tab is stays all white (nothing drawn). Then when I switch to another tab and switch back, the graph pane is there but no data is loaded. Ideas?

Hi Benjamin,

A few questions:

• Are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux? What version?
  • If Mac, are you using the bundled application or the generic package (double clicking the jar file)?
  • If you are on Windows or Linux (or Mac with the generic package), what version of Java are you using?
    • If you're not sure, go to a shell or command prompt and type "java -version" (without the quotes)
  • If you can make this happen and then send me the log file, that might help. For details on locating the log files, see the troubleshooting section of the FAQ.

In the mean time, since this is an experimental version you should probably go back 0.26.03 until I can locate the problem.

Joe

I saw you added information about the "unplugged?" scheduler event, can you do the same with the "Charge State becomes" - it'd be nice to know the charge state when it becomes anything.

(Oh, and if you add remaining range, remember km/mi) :)

Hi Benjamin,

A few questions:

• Are you on Windows, Mac, or Linux? What version?
  • If Mac, are you using the bundled application or the generic package (double clicking the jar file)?
  • If you are on Windows or Linux (or Mac with the generic package), what version of Java are you using?
    • If you're not sure, go to a shell or command prompt and type "java -version" (without the quotes)
  • If you can make this happen and then send me the log file, that might help. For details on locating the log files, see the troubleshooting section of the FAQ.

In the mean time, since this is an experimental version you should probably go back 0.26.03 until I can locate the problem.

Joe

Mac, OS 10.9.2.
I tried double clicking the jar file (since you asked about it), and it works. Only the bundled package app wasn't working.
I'll just go with this method for now, thanks!