Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question of understanding: my car is currently charging.

The VT charging screen shows:

Current: 30A
Pilot current: 30A
Battery current: 16.9 A

is the battery current what's going into it? If so, why is it down when the car is 65% charged and where is the rest of the 30A going?

secondly, "battery levels: 66/66%". I only have one main battery don't i so why two apparently in step figures?

I am quite new to VT so have followed most of it. Just magic!

It's because power = voltage * amps. The battery voltage is higher than your input voltage, so the amount of current going into the battery is lower (this is ignoring any AC to DC losses, of about 85-90% efficiency)

is the battery current what's going into it? If so, why is it down when the car is 65% charged and where is the rest of the 30A going?

secondly, "battery levels: 66/66%". I only have one main battery don't i so why two apparently in step figures?

It's because power = voltage * amps. The battery voltage is higher than your input voltage, so the amount of current going into the battery is lower (this is ignoring any AC to DC losses, of about 85-90% efficiency)
Thank you: now I understand what it's showing. It must be the current at the roughly 400V bus level - I was stuck with assuming it was all on the supply voltage bus and thinking the difference couldn't be e battery heating/cooling without frying/freezing it!

Hi simonog,

Tesla keeps track of two numbers for battery level: the "normal" level that you see all the time and the "usable" level which is typically the same. The usable level may be lower than the normal level if the battery is cold. The Charge Tab page talks about this about and shows how the display will change if the two levels differ.

Joe

Hi simonog,

Tesla keeps track of two numbers for battery level: the "normal" level that you see all the time and the "usable" level which is typically the same. The usable level may be lower than the normal level if the battery is cold. The Charge Tab page talks about this about and shows how the display will change if the two levels differ.

Joe
Joe - thank you. Found the charge tab explanation and am now clear about what's going on.

if only Steve J hadn't been so anti Java your program would be great on iPhone and/or iPad as well as pcs!

Getting basic info from VT through your web browser. I'll show this at TMC Connect this weekend if there's time. This is a completely user customizable page based on template variables. For example, in this HTML file is just says {{HT_SPEEDO}} to generate the HTML5 canvas element that represents the speedo. Yes, this does work on the car's built-in web browser (though it's somewhat pointless).

Joe

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 8.01.29 PM.png

Estimate of power consumption on trips

In 0.28.01 the Trips tab will give you an estimate of the power consumed by the selected trip or trips. This is purely an estimate. It is not a value reported by the car, but rather a rough integration of area under the power curve that you see plotted in the Graphs Tab. Here's what it will look like:

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 11.16.34 PM.png

I'm hoping to get a release out in time for TMC Connect, but I don't have many nights left...

I hope I didn't miss a feature request / FAQ, but I'd like to ask for the ability to have more than one notification email. My home automation system can take action based on emails sent to it and I think it would be interesting to do things like turn HVAC on / off or open the garage door as the car enters / leaves a geofence around my house.

I hope I didn't miss a feature request / FAQ, but I'd like to ask for the ability to have more than one notification email. My home automation system can take action based on emails sent to it and I think it would be interesting to do things like turn HVAC on / off or open the garage door as the car enters / leaves a geofence around my house.

Hi bollar,

It's not in the documentation or FAQ, but you can set the target email address to a comma separated list and it will go to multiple addresses. For example, you could set the email address to:
[email protected],[email protected]
Don't use any spaces (I'll fix that ASAP). I just tried it to be sure and it worked well. Give it a try and let me know.

Joe

Hi bollar,

It's not in the documentation or FAQ, but you can set the target email address to a comma separated list and it will go to multiple addresses. For example, you could set the email address to:
[email protected],[email protected]
Don't use any spaces (I'll fix that ASAP). I just tried it to be sure and it worked well. Give it a try and let me know.

Joe
Fantastic!

Here's the log from Indigo:

Jul 18, 2014, 11:28:52 AM
Email Scanned from "[email protected]"; subject "Testing delivery from VisibleT..."

VisibleTesla 0.28.01 - TMC Connect Edition

VisibleTesla 0.28.01 is available now. You can download it from the links below or using the "Help->Check For Updates" menu item. Windows users: Don't use "Check for Updates" unless you're coming from version 0.28.00. As always, let me know if you encounter problems.

Downloads:

VisibleTesla 0.28.01 [07-18-2014]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Addition: On the Mac you can now use ⌘-H to hide a window just like you can with other Mac apps. Note that unlike other Mac applications, you won't see this shortcut listed in the application menu. This is a deficiency with JavaFX on the Mac. Using ⌘-H is the same as pressing the yellow minimize icon. On Windows 7 you and beyond you can use
        WinKey.gif
        +↓
        to minimize the VisibleTesla window. This has always been there.
      • Refinement: For advanced users only - EXPERIMENTAL.You may now set an advanced preference that specifies a URL that holds custom pages that can be served up by the built-in web server. Use template variables to customize the pages. See the Prefs Tab and Web Services for details.
      • Fix: The Help->What's New menu item works again.
      • Fix: Fixed a minor issue with login to the web services which only affected those who are using this experimental feature.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
    • Trips
      • Addition: There is a new row in the Trip property table. In addition to displaying the starting and ending value for Range, SOC, and Odometer, it now displays an estimate of the power consumed in the selected trip (or trips). This is purely an estimate. It is not a value reported by the car, but rather a rough integration of area under the power curve that you see plotted in the Graphs Tab.
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
      • Refinement: The target email address specified for a notification may now be a comma-separated list of email addressses. This functionality has actually been there for some time, but it has now been tested.
      • Refinement: Added the variable {{HT_SPEEDO}} and {{HT_LOC}} for for use in message templates. For details, please refer to the documention on the Notify Tab.
      • Refinement: The {{HT_SOC_G}} variable now more accurately represents the charge state.
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • VisibleTesla is using HTML5 Canvas to render the {{HT_SOC_G}} and {{HT_SPEEDO}} elements.
  • Known problems
    • There are situations where VisibleTesla will stop recording data from the car. This can result in gaps in the Graphs and missing Trips. Debugging and testing is ongoing to address this problem.

Awesome, as usual - thanks, Joe!

I installed the new Mac version just before we left for TMC Connect. Tonight it reminded me via email that the Model S wasn't plugged in - because it's not at home and it got charged at Laguna Seca today. What a treat!