Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anybody with a vision -only car gets updated past 4.21.3, please post in this thread. I don't know if anyone knows exactly where the VIN's start for vision-only cars, so it's hard to use Teslafi to try and figure it out.

Thanks.
I'd like to know this too. I read somewhere that the vision cars started around 190***. I usually look at low mileage and the 4.21.3 cars coming from 4.18.10, like mines on Teslafi. BTW I put in a request in the help forums on Teslafi to give us a vision only category in the fleet-tracker just yesterday. It only has 2 upvotes, one of which is me, no one cares about us poor Radar-less slobs

At some point as Tesla has said radar cars are going to be shut off and they will go vision only. In the meantime, as above software versions you all mention, stuck on the same, which is bogus and we end up with less features/updates.

So, not sure what Tesla is up to...maybe this is the beginning of the end for radar and they are trying to get to a point to merge the releases into a singular one for both radar/radarless cars?

Speculation of course. Kind of annoyed to say the least that Tesla makes this big push to vision now, release like 7 versions for radar cars with new features that can apply to any vehicle they make, yet they choose to only give most of the vision this one version with 2 little useless updates and nothing being improved.

Thing is, they literally have a 50k-100k+ cars that are vision only now on the road since June 1st they've sold maybe? What is the issue here?

So yeah, would be good to know any vision cars beyond the 4.21.3 version...of course, maybe they don't visit the forum or have TeslaFi, I know I never subscribed, I use TeslaMate and we have no pooled/fleet data sharing and central metrics like the two main pay sites with statistics.

I also scour Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope Teslascope's data, they have more history pages and you can select the header for Model 3 or other models to sort it..but it is pretty clear nothing from 4.21.3 is getting updated for us Vision only M3 cars from what I can tell.

Last edited:
what is a 'non-standard chip' ?

changing chip types is a normal thing in engineering. suppliers EOL things and vendors often cost-cut and switch vendors. also, some vendors have really bad internal code on their devices and sometimes vendors will cut their losses and switch brands. (not often and its painful but its a last resort)

so what do you mean by nonstandard? there isn't really a thing called 'standard', lol. each design is, well, a design.

My speculation is that the vision cars' software was originally branched from the "mainline" code of Tesla software into its own branch, then vision-only changes are made. Each time the mainline has some changes developed, Tesla either needs to merge those changes into the vision branch, or rebase the vision branch on top of the latest mainline branch (still a merge but in different direction). Either way, there will be code conflicts to be resolved, and extensive testing done to make sure the merge and conflict resolution are good. This extra work takes time.

For the long run, if Tesla indeed commits to vision-only cars, at some point in the future the vision branch will become the mainline, and the radar branch (old mainline) will start to require the extra time to merge and test. Let's see when this will happen.

My speculation is that the vision cars' software was originally branched from the "mainline" code of Tesla software into its own branch, then vision-only changes are made. Each time the mainline has some changes developed, Tesla either needs to merge those changes into the vision branch, or rebase the vision branch on top of the latest mainline branch (still a merge but in different direction). Either way, there will be code conflicts to be resolved, and extensive testing done to make sure the merge and conflict resolution are good. This extra work takes time.

For the long run, if Tesla indeed commits to vision-only cars, at some point in the future the vision branch will become the mainline, and the radar branch (old mainline) will start to require the extra time to merge and test. Let's see when this will happen.
eventually, they'll git it done.

Watch your Vision Ys... there looks to be one upgraded to 2021.32.5 in Ohio at 13:42 today.. given the VIN and odometer etc
There is another in Wisconsin at 2:00.... VIN 197xxx
and another in New Mexico VIN 201xxx so awesome
Yes. I spotted 4 of the vision MYs so far. The transition started around 183XXX. I've seen (actually inferred) both radar-equipped and vision-only MYs in 183XXX range. Higher than that should be definitely vision-only ones.

Reactions: Quigibo
May be a dumb question but new to Tesla's. Picked up the refresh S in June. Have had a handful of refreshes since then and to 2021.32 today. My understanding is that S is going vision only but mine would have been with radar. How will I know if they turn off radar and am vision only?

May be a dumb question but new to Tesla's. Picked up the refresh S in June. Have had a handful of refreshes since then and to 2021.32 today. My understanding is that S is going vision only but mine would have been with radar. How will I know if they turn off radar and am vision only?
there has been no indication that they have any intention of turning off radar

I'm VIN 992xxx....nothing and probably don't expect anything for months more knowing Tesla. They lied, per the agreement we had to acknowledge before delivery, the said "within weeks we will start restoring features like blah blah..and then more soon." Yeah, right....we got ACC 2 now, nothing more. I'm now at 9 weeks wit no features and improvements, even simple things that have nothing to do with Vision cars...but they are just rolling out update after update for any Radar car the past 3 weeks. Crazy.

They must want us to buy the Beta FSD when the button comes available for $200/mo to get updates I guess.

Reactions: devobail
I'm VIN 992xxx....nothing and probably don't expect anything for months more knowing Tesla. They lied, per the agreement we had to acknowledge before delivery, the said "within weeks we will start restoring features like blah blah..and then more soon." Yeah, right....we got ACC 2 now, nothing more. I'm now at 9 weeks wit no features and improvements, even simple things that have nothing to do with Vision cars...but they are just rolling out update after update for any Radar car the past 3 weeks. Crazy.

They must want us to buy the Beta FSD when the button comes available for $200/mo to get updates I guess.
I’ve got a Vision car and I already paid the 10k for FSD and I’m still stuck on the same 4.21.3 as the other Vision cars. So I don’t think an upsell to FSD is the holdup. I can’t say what is the problem but I can say I’m getting a little sick of feeling left behind on the software front.

My unpopular theory (and I hope it's not true because I have a vision-only car)... Tesla rushed the vision-only cars because of the chip shortage. The company mantra was, "We always intended to do it. This is a great time to do it. They are better than radar cars." Now that they are into it, they realize that they are not only not better, they are decidedly worse, than radar cars. The vision cars seem to be operating ok so far, but they may be incapable of handling the updates that are advancing other cars.

My unpopular theory (and I hope it's not true because I have a vision-only car)... Tesla rushed the vision-only cars because of the chip shortage. The company mantra was, "We always intended to do it. This is a great time to do it. They are better than radar cars." Now that they are into it, they realize that they are not only not better, they are decidedly worse, than radar cars. The vision cars seem to be operating ok so far, but they may be incapable of handling the updates that are advancing other cars.
I think you are mixing a few different concerns. Chip shortage is an issue that Tesla has to overcome, but it is unclear what type of chips are in short supply to Tesla and whether they are related to radar or not. In another word, I don't believe removing radar magically resolved chip shortage issue for Tesla. So going vision only and chip shortage are two loosely related things, if they are related at all.

As for software updates lagging behind, it is not that the visions cars cannot handle updates. The situation is more likely that Tesla does not have enough software engineers hired to handle two flavours of their software - one for cars with radar and one for ones without it. Before they only needed to handle one flavour but now there are two because of the vision cars, thus more engineers needed. Unfortunately, hiring additional engineers is equally difficult as acquiring chips nowadays.

I'd like to know this too. I read somewhere that the vision cars started around 190***. I usually look at low mileage and the 4.21.3 cars coming from 4.18.10, like mines on Teslafi. BTW I put in a request in the help forums on Teslafi to give us a vision only category in the fleet-tracker just yesterday. It only has 2 upvotes, one of which is me, no one cares about us poor Radar-less slobs
My Y is 185xxx and is Vision only - at least I had to sign the wavier (aka "Blue Button") when I accepted the VIN.

AI day pretty clearly showed that radar is vestigial and the vision-only approach works great. Removing radar has nothing to do with the chip shortage, radar was not affected.

There is an issue with the chip shortage cars and it's really easy to know if you have an affected car. If you took delivery of a 2021.3.10X or 2021.11.x car (2021.3.x showed up in June, 2021.11 is new in the last few days of August), then you won't be on the regular update track. So far, there are no reports of 2021.3 cars updating to 2021.11, but it's been less than a week since the 11s came out.

AI day pretty clearly showed that radar is vestigial and the vision-only approach works great. Removing radar has nothing to do with the chip shortage, radar was not affected.

There is an issue with the chip shortage cars and it's really easy to know if you have an affected car. If you took delivery of a 2021.3.10X or 2021.11.x car (2021.3.x showed up in June, 2021.11 is new in the last few days of August), then you won't be on the regular update track. So far, there are no reports of 2021.3 cars updating to 2021.11, but it's been less than a week since the 11s came out.
They might also be LPF cars and thus on a special SW branch. Who knows. Only Tesla can tell ( of course they won't tell us clearly about anything)