Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visual differences: Model X prototype (2012/2013) vs. Mule(s) (2015)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like it more except for the red piping. That just irritates me every time I look at it.

Agreed. But that'll be an option to deselect.

- - - Updated - - -

What about a chess board style? With white for the drivers seat, black for the front passenger, then 2 black in the 2nd row with the middle seat being white, and finally a white seat and black seat for the 3rd row?:cool:

Stomp on the accelerator and you'll get:
Picture1.jpg

Groovy! :-D

I'd like it more except for the red piping. That just irritates me every time I look at it.

even just white piping would make it look waaay better. I am kind of curious who had the 'great' idea to put red piping in?

It was likely done to match the appearance of the old Performance leather seats. Seeing as how the red piping has been discontinued on Model S, I would doubt it makes it to production on Model X.

but WHY?? and who did that? I am not an interior designer but think I have some color coordination

Last edited:
It was likely done to match the appearance of the old Performance leather seats. Seeing as how the red piping has been discontinued on Model S, I would doubt it makes it to production on Model X.
I haven't been keeping up. When did this occur?

- - - Updated - - -

I've always thought they had no intention of shipping the car like that, but used the black and white to show off different interior options in one package.
Ditto.

Tesla discontinued the original Performance leather seats (with Alcantara and piping) in early November at the same time they simplified their production mix. They got rid of their remaining stock by offering people who had ordered regular leather seats a free upgrade.

The red piping on my seats is the best thing that makes it look sharp - everything else below the dash is dark in the car: CF accents, black leather, black carpet. The piping is what makes the interior look sharp when you open the door.

Sorry, bonnie. :)

The red piping on my seats is the best thing that makes it look sharp - everything else below the dash is dark in the car: CF accents, black leather, black carpet. The piping is what makes the interior look sharp when you open the door.

Sorry, bonnie. :)

Agreed, though I think Bonnie meant piping with that particular interior.

In any case, I like some of the "new" stuff on the S, but I keep hearing about deletions that I'd miss should I have to reorder. Brown paint, piping, cup holder "grooves".

There are two new images posted on Twitter:

Nick Reed on Twitter: - Original poster? John Donnelly on Twitter:

They seem to confirm the location of the hitch in the lower part of the rear diffuser (not in the bumper hole as speculated by some). No bumper hole here.

The enlarged side windows/straightened shoulder lines seem the same as in the other mules - and indeed different from the 2012/2013 prototypes.

In the first image one may be able to gain some additional confirmation that the 17" screen is no longer protruding over the dash like in the prototype.

I wonder what the heavy camo on the rear window is hiding? Merely the seats?

- - - Updated - - -

They are still camouflaging something around the entire car in the area where the rear of the falcon wings is. There seems to be a wide, slightly protruding wrap there that starts from wheelwell on one side and wraps around the top of the car to the other side.

This has been seen on all the mules. Is it merely to make sure the falcon wings stay shut under all circumstances, some testing equipment like on the front windows that has been seen on all the mules as well I think, or hiding something else?

- - - Updated - - -

The shape of the front seat headrests seems Model S like and unlike the 2013 prototype. Using the new Model S front seats would seem fairly expected, of course, unless there is some special design to align with the second and third rows.

Last edited:
FWIW, masking lights seems quite common in test mules in the industry in general. OTOH, the earlier mules also showed changes rear lights compared to the prototype.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, the rear light masking on the new white mule images seems the same as the masking on the black mule seen a while ago - the masking there was just black and thus less visible in this area. Neither reveal the full rear lighting.

Dear A.R. & Fanatic, all this gets to be even more fun once you plop down $5k and start the official wait period. :smile:
Go go Do it! Keep up the analysis, by all means, but know that many of us wish we had reserved earlier than we did. Think Tesla will release a car that is in anyway substandard? Wait, let me rephrase that - in any way not THE BEST? Then you are wasting your time here. I know you're not leaving, stick around, buy a model X.

MikeL: Thank you for the recommendation. No need to worry about myself, I have put down the EU Signature deposit and am not questioning my purchase. :)

Just trying to contribute a little analysis to the community. Maybe it, in part, helps people like Fanatic decide... Or at least provides a bit of fun to pass the time with.

MikeL: Thank you for the recommendation. No need to worry about myself, I have put down the EU Signature deposit and am not questioning my purchase. :)

Just trying to contribute a little analysis to the community. Maybe it, in part, helps people like Fanatic decide... Or at least provides a bit of fun to pass the time with.

I now realize that I knew that. Wasn't thinking last night, plus it's about the 5th time I've been caught not bothering to read the perfectly pertinent info in someone's signiature. Oh well, I'll catch on to this web forum thing someday!