Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command usage?

Do you use voice commands in your tesla?

• 80-100% - most of my interaction with the car is by voice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-80% - plenty. If I can I tend to talk to the car

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 40-60% - Fair bit of the time.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 20-40% - regularly, but mostly use the buttons

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • 5-20% - hardly use them at all, but do occasionally

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • 0-5% - really not at all

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Do you use voice commands? I was just thinking about it in another thread and realised that outside of searching hopefully for music sometimes, I don't use any of them. But I also don't use voice assistants at home either. So is it just me? I thought I would ask.

It is sadly funny really ... Elon complaining about low bandwidth in human communication, triying to improve it by neural implants and then goes to dedicate half of the cars interface to the slowest form of human communication - speaking out loud and clear.

I type words twice as fast as I can speak. If there just command buttons to press, I do it 10x faster than I can speak out loud their captions ...

I use it regularly when reversing out of my tight garage to unfold the mirrors. Usually works every time and means I can keep moving with both hands on the steering wheel on my awkwardly shaped driveway.
Was away last week and ‘navigate to ...’ also worked every time.
That’s about it for me.

Reactions: X-pilot
A lot - we use voice for most things as the screen is too distracting to touch while driving - navigation, music, wipers, lights, a/c, temperature, fan speed, open/front/boot/charge port/glovebox etc.

Our boring middle English accents may explain why it works so well (but "Halfords" defeated it - car brings up a map of Whole Foods supermarkets in N America no matter how I try to pronounce it).

What does annoy me though is when the car loses LTE connection and can't respond :oops:

We use Amazon Echo (Alexa) at home, mostly for timing our tea brewing and checking the weather forecast ;-) Music playing is confounded by our multi-household set up. Have to use our Sonos phone app for that :-(

Just got an Echo Auto. Not yet installed.

In our M3 voice use is mostly to play music. That works very well. I must print out a list of commands and check out the rest (including wiper speed!)

One thing I really really wish by voice command is Lane Change Cancel !!!!!!!!!!!

I find the concept of voice devices fundamentally flawed. They are like living in the command line. All the problems that meant that for general usage we have moved to graphical interfaces for PCs all apply to all the voice systems. You have to be overly precise in your wording and its really hard to explore the system.

Remembering 'whats the weather', 'tell me a joke', or 'phone John' is fine, exploring anything more advanced is a complete pain. We had Alexa setup with our local bus company's skill so you could ask when the next bus to town was, but the interface was just too hard to quite get right. Because I'm at a PC I can look it up and it would be "ask bus tracker for next buses" or "ask bus tracker for bus times", but any slight variation (say 'ask bus tracker for next bus') wouldn't. I added the international space station skill but as soon as I didn't have the instructions for the skill in front of me I couldn't get it to work, not a single time, as the command was about 7 elements long. The voice recognition is amazing, the language processing (which should recognise a variation like 'when is the next bus') isn't there yet. They don't get enough synonyms, unless specifically programmed in as a joke like bacons for heated seats are, to really understand you yet.

Once they sort this I'll on board the bandwagon, till then I'll stick to my buttons. Good news is that its potentially all just a server end upgrade these day and one day it will all be sorted. Alexa will know that if I need to know about buses, to use the configured bus tracking app. The car will know that with an appointment in your diary for 'fix bike' that you probably want to go to halfords, not Halla-Ford.

[QUOTE="M3noob, post: 4883606, member: 112822

Just got an Echo Auto. Not yet installed. [/QUOTE]

I’d be interested to know how you get on with this. I use Echo devices at home to control lights, heating, kettle and loads more by voice commands and it works flawlessly. I find voice control in my M3, on the other hand, to be complete pants.

I use quite a bit of voice control at home, primarily for music, via Sonos, and it works pretty well.

I wouldn't say it's fundamentally flawed, I see the analogy with the command line, but it's far from useless. The kids ask Alexa all sort of inane questions and 90% of the time are provided with the correct answer.

Having used Alexa for a few years now, I was shocked how bad the Tesla processing is. There doesn't seem to be any weighting towards expected/typical commands. A lot of the time it just suggests garbage.

Reactions: Type2 and WarpedOne
I use quite a bit of voice control at home, primarily for music, via Sonos, and it works pretty well.

I wouldn't say it's fundamentally flawed, I see the analogy with the command line, but it's far from useless. The kids ask Alexa all sort of inane questions and 90% of the time are provided with the correct answer.

Having used Alexa for a few years now, I was shocked how bad the Tesla processing is. There doesn't seem to be any weighting towards expected/typical commands. A lot of the time it just suggests garbage.
I got my old gen 1 Alexa dot out for the kids to use with our Sonos system. Theoretically it's wonderful, but we mostly live off a server full of (legal, mostly) MP3's rather than streaming, which the integration doesn't work for. So a boy asking to 'listen in the playroom to Matilda by rhold dahl' signs us up for audible rather than playing the rip of the CDs we have. Made me sad. Might add it back in for general web searching I guess.

Yup I can see that being a drawback, we use Deezer for 95% of our music now. I was against the idea of it, having owned all my music up until about 5 or 6 years ago, but I tried it and was converted. We listen to a far broader range of music now. I was annoyed to have to also get Spotify for the car. I wish Deezer was supported.

I think our kids will grow up with voice control as an assumption, rather than a novelty. My kids argue over who gets to say "open charge port" when we get home, and they're almost 4 and 7.

tweet-jeff-lewis-chicagophotosho-bezos-alexa-buy-me-something-from-31828091.png

About all that works for me is ‘open glovebox’. Attempts to phone / dial / call someone usually result in the car trying to navigate me to somewhere random often hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Simple commands like ‘ turn on rear fog lights’ may be correctly recognised but, for some mysterious reason, are not yet available. Reliable phone dialling really should work. At the moment I can’t reliably tell the car I want to make a phone call, still less who to.

Reactions: Artiste and Jeeves
How are you guys even using it for music?????????? I find the voice commands to be generally terrible... but specifically for music....

If I say "play 'violence' by 'Grimes'"... it will (sometimes) correctly interpret the language.... then look up the song violence by grimes in the search media pane. It never actually plays the song. usually it directs me to some useless podcast link or something and i would need to press the screen to select 'song' or 'artist' or whatever.

Same goes for any other group / album / song listing.

So... yeah... how are you guys getting this to work at all?

Generally for music 'my' music is on usb and I can navigate that pretty quick. I use the search when I want to look for something I don't have, In Which case a play artist gets a search and I'll choose one of the options.

I realised I do occasionally use it for nav too which has been quite reliable.