Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else found the voice command to not always hear you? It doesn't matter if I shout or whatever, it acts like I haven't said anything a lot of the time. This is when I don't have music playing. It won't hear anything I say until I wait a while, then try it again. Seems to work for me about 30% the rest of the time it's deaf.

Has anyone else found the voice command to not always hear you? It doesn't matter if I shout or whatever, it acts like I haven't said anything a lot of the time. This is when I don't have music playing. It won't hear anything I say until I wait a while, then try it again. Seems to work for me about 30% the rest of the time it's deaf.
This happens for me if I'm driving. For some reason it completely ignores me no matter how loud I think I'm speaking. It hears my wife every time though...

If I'm not driving, it works fine.

I'm not really giving it much thought at the moment because we have a voice activated trash can and it has the same behavior. Hears my wife every time but if I have a dripping bag of chicken it's like I don't even exit.

Just got back from a longer drive, the voice recognition behaved exactly as you described. Ignored me about 3 times out of 4. I wondered if it needed cellular connectivity for each command (not that it makes sense) but the screen showed full-strength signal all the time.

I've noticed that mine doesn't work at all with the latest update (not v.9). It appears to register sound, but it just doesn't show what I'm saying. Annoying as hell. How can I even send a bug report? Oh well, I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks for the signature light issue, so I'll just have to mention it then.

I’m taking it in Monday for my post-delivery QA (some 20-point long list). I will ask about this behavior, just for giggles. Really curious about how they’re going to try to spin this as a feature, I bet they will.

I’d guess it’s unlikely that such a widespread issue would be caused by hardware, but I’ll ask just in case:
Do any of you know where the microphone is located? Is it in the mirror housing? I do have a rattle in that area that sounds like a loose cable banging against the plastic housing. Perhaps it’s a microphone cable that disconnects intermittently?

What version of you are one? I observed this a while back, not sure on which software version. But have not run into this in recent versions.

It’s online voice control, like Apple Siri. So if cell coverage is poor/spotty (which is hard to discern because the LTE signal meter is delayed/inaccurate), then voice control doesn’t work.

BTW, it is possible it needs LTE signal to process the command. Likely it is going to the server. What I observed is, sometime at first it shows something meaningless and auto corrects itself in a second or two.

This happend quite few times with contacts, but it is smart in a sense, it shows the phonetically matching contacts and let us select one to dial out.

I think I know this one: if your phone is linked as an audio & contacts device, but you don't have Phone selected as your audio device, it doesn't recognize the vocal input. I may be wrong, but I think I "fixed" this twice by switching my audio device to my Bluetooth phone. Or turn off Bluetooth on your phone - does this fix it?

I think I know this one: if your phone is linked as an audio & contacts device, but you don't have Phone selected as your audio device, it doesn't recognize the vocal input. I may be wrong, but I think I "fixed" this twice by switching my audio device to my Bluetooth phone. Or turn off Bluetooth on your phone - does this fix it?

Yep, that seems to work. I’ve also found if I plug my phone into the USB port, it will start to hear my voice commands. It seems like an odd quirk. Hopefully it will get fixed at some point.