Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands not recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how everybody find the voice command or speech recognition in Model 3 to be working?
For me it is a source of frustration and maybe I am doing something wrong. The only command that works consistently is “navigate home”. For instance "call (my wifes name)" or "call (someone in my phone book)" will not work or only the 10th time. Even getting it to recognize "bug report" comes up with some pretty hilarious misinterpretations. How is this even possible - there are not that many ways of saying "bug report".

I am curious how everybody find the voice command or speech recognition in Model 3 to be working?
For me it is a source of frustration and maybe I am doing something wrong. The only command that works consistently is “navigate home”. For instance "call (my wifes name)" or "call (someone in my phone book)" will not work or only the 10th time. Even getting it to recognize "bug report" comes up with some pretty hilarious misinterpretations. How is this even possible - there are not that many ways of saying "bug report".

It works perfectly for me. The system always recognizes the words I am saying (I see it type them out on the screen). I use some combination of "Where is <insert name of store I am looking for>", "navigate to <location I want>" or "call <first and last name of a contact on my phone, combined with the number I want> . Example of this last one "Call John Smith, Mobile".

OP, since your location says "switzerland" I am going to take a guess and say that when you speak english, you have an accent. Is this correct? My guess is, your issue may be tied to the Model 3 not doing a good job with dialect / accents. Wouldnt be the first speech recognition system to do that. My wifes BMW (2019 X3 M40), doesnt recognize a @#@% thing I say for example.

My guess is, your issue may be tied to the Model 3 not doing a good job with dialect / accents.
That is of course possible. However, with the risk of exaggerating my language skills I doubt this is the full explanation. Hence my reason for inquiring about this issue.
But you gave me the idea to ask a native speaker for a ride and see if that makes a difference. I am willing to be proven wrong :)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not that I know of. My understanding is it works like Siri and you simply talk to it in simple language. However there are a few direct commands like "bug report..." and "navigate to..."

Tesla should partner with Apple/Google/Amazon and embed their system into the solution rather than developing their own. I find the voice recognition to be unreliable as well. English speaker here and I have no issues with other solutions.

Reactions: totteraptor
I've actually found the voice recognition to be nearly flawless.

Granted, the only 3 commands I ever use are (I don't think it knows much more than this):

Drive to ...
Call ...
Bug Report

But it always gets the ... part right, even when I don't know how to pronounce the destination I want to go to.

And my wife's name is spelled funny, but it always find her (my LEAF almost never did). I also have some family members that I call that have strangely spelled and uncommon names but it always works.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I have also found the voice recognition to be essentially flawless, although I have not used it heavily, perhaps 15 times. It not only displays the name of a local place but then finds the correct place at the top of the list of suggestions. I wish it would allow voice selection of which number to call if there are several -- like Android Auto does. Best I can tell, I have to make the second selection by touching the screen i.e. got correct contact with voice, then must select home or mobile for that contact on the screen.

I normally send destinations from Google Maps on my Android Pixel 3A. That is considerably less reliable than the voice i.e. destinations found by Google are not found by the car.

I'm amazed how accurate the voice recognition is. I don't do anything special but I am 6'-04 so my mouth is naturally closer to the speaker. I also like a high seating position.

My suggestion to those who have less accurate results, maybe try speaking towards the rearview mirror where the microphone is?

• Informative
Reactions: totteraptor
Voice recognition used to be excellent, but is now useless — except for navigation commands. I tried “Bug report” at least 6 times, and it never got close to understanding. Neither “ bug” nor “report” were understood. “Call Ruth” gave me “call ris”, and “call home” ended up as “call John”. Rebooting did not help. What’s going on. Could it be my recent update to 2019.32.2.1? Am I alone is this?

Appreciate this thread is 2 years old but I have exactly the same symptoms as the OP. Was there any particular solution?

Back when this thread was started, there were like 3-4 voice commands. Now there are a lot more. I have still had zero issues with voice commands recognizing what I say. I dictate voice messages, enter navigation information, change cabin temperature, etc, and have virtually zero issues with it recognizing anything.

I used it yesterday to navigate to a place that I didn't even know what the official name was. I just said "Navigate to Durham Recycling" or something like that. It didn't know what I meant the first try (although it did offer some suggestions), but on the second try (with slightly different wording) it knew what I was talking about and navigated to the destination I had in mind. (The official name is "Waste Disposal & Recycling Center").

The only phrase it seems to have troubles with is "fold mirrors". I have to really annunciate the 'f': "ffffold mirrors" -- otherwise it thinks I am saying "old mirrors".

Back when this thread was started, there were like 3-4 voice commands. Now there are a lot more. I have still had zero issues with voice commands recognizing what I say. I dictate voice messages, enter navigation information, change cabin temperature, etc, and have virtually zero issues with it recognizing anything.
Through experimenting I’ve come to realise it doesn’t recognise “Call Bex” but if I change my wife’s contact name to Becky, it recognises “Call Becky” with no problem. Most other commands work well but my view was biased by the important one not working! Now it’s only “My balls are cold” which it struggles with….but that’s not one I try and use often :)