Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vredestein Space Master spare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the skill set to move forward. All this proprietary crap limits our options. It appears the Space Master tire is specific to the wheels offered.
I had no idea they've been doing this for almost 15 years???

• Funny
Reactions: ArtK
Just spoke with Vredestein in Atlanta.

No plans for the Vredestein Master Spare to be offered in the Tesla. The wheels that the tires are mounted on (as a package) are specific to OEM specs for VAG, Mercedes, and Master Spare tires are NOT available independent of the wheels.

So, false alarm. I thought maybe there was an option available to us other than the (larger) Modern Spare.

(I'm stubborn, though, and will ask experienced personnel at local tire shops if they have experience removing Master Spare tires from rims, and if the tire could be mounted on a Tesla specific steel wheel. FInding a used tire might not be too difficult.)

You know how Japanese (Honda, Toyota, Nissan) cars are super common and all over the road?

Back when M3 was released they had an excess of 18" rims. Some people bought and put those M3 rims on their Japanese cars. Think about that and let it sink in.

It's not a secret and there's nothing proprietary--
Tesla M3 & MY share a common wheel bolt pattern with Japanese cars. I think Korean cars use the same bolt pattern as well. That opens up a whole world of OEM and aftermarket parts.

Modern Spare or this Vredestein space saver thing? ....Why....?

Is the idea that this type of tire and wheel can fit in the frunc or Sun trunk? If not does it have any advantages over what Modern Spare. Offers? Even if it can fit, Isn't there also an issue of weight? Can the wheel and inflatable tire support a MY and if so are there reasonable speed and distance limitations?

Bring this thread back to life. I have a Model S Plaid--and was looking for a 5X120, but, in researching lug patterns, I came across some 5X114.3 like used in the Model 3 & Y. It seems Maserati had one. The luh pattern is correct, but not sure on the brake caliper clearance. I will lust a few of the links I found. Here is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234466144074
Lug cross reference
Bolt Pattern Cross Reference - What Wheels Fit?
35 Cars that have a 5×114.3 bolt pattern
35 Cars That Have A 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern

Please post if you find a suitable 5X129 for the S & X, likely needs to be 19" or larger.

I spent some time at a Maserati dealership, looking at 2 different VredesteinSpaceMaster spares. The wheel/tire that goes on the Levante is the one needed for the Model Y: specs say it's 5X114.3, ans sufficient load rating for the 5,000lb. Levante.

I measured the smaller SpaceMaster that goes with the lighter Ghibli (wrong bolt pattern) and it's about 7" by 23". I think the larger Vredestein SpaceMaster is probably the same width, but a bit taller.

I sent a message to the Ebay seller referenced in the post above, asking specific info about dimensions and load rating. The numbers they posted don't match with the Maserati dealership numbers, so I'm a bit confused. I'll phone them tomorrow AM, since they haven't responded.

My current plan, IF this is the right wheel/tire, is to place it directly behind the rear bumper, vertically. It will stick up about 4" above the trunk floor, but should allow the hatch to close. I would need to cut a hole in the trunk floor to wrap it around the protruding tire, but thinking it would be a very minor inconvenience loading/unloading the trunk and take up very minimal space.

Reactions: Nosken
Damn.
Parts-Link, which is listing the Maserati Vredestein SpaceMaster spare (link in post #11) says in 99% of cases, when customers try to mix/match wheels, they end up in fail. The bolt pattern might be correct, but the wheel might not sit correctly on the hub, which is probably more important than lug dimensions matching.
Now, it's up to me to pay shipping ($50), with the risk of having to return the wheel (another $50). Hmm...remembering Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" I'm no punk, and this isn't a bullet from Dirty Harry's cannon, but...

I'm thinking...I'm thinking...

• Informative
Reactions: 101dals
Bring this thread back to life. I have a Model S Plaid--and was looking for a 5X120, but, in researching lug patterns, I came across some 5X114.3 like used in the Model 3 & Y. It seems Maserati had one. The luh pattern is correct, but not sure on the brake caliper clearance. I will lust a few of the links I found. Here is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234466144074
Lug cross reference
Bolt Pattern Cross Reference - What Wheels Fit?
35 Cars that have a 5×114.3 bolt pattern
35 Cars That Have A 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern

Please post if you find a suitable 5X129 for the S & X, likely needs to be 19" or larger.
TYPO=Should say 5X120 for the model S & X

HOORAY! IT FITS! VredesteinSpaceMaster from a 2017-2021 Maserati Levante.
It bolts up perfectly, (both back and front) not even close to any issue with brakes or suspension parts. Inflates as designed, car is perfectly level when the tire is inflated. Drove gently around my community (haha...some harsh concrete cracks) and up to 40mph, and noticed zero difference in ride/handling (drove with it installed on the front).

The bore of this VredesteinSpaceMaster is very slightly larger than the OEM Apollo/Gemini wheel, so in fact, while installed, it will be "lug centric" rather than "hub centric". The tapered lug nuts didn't cause the wheel to shift when installing, so when the wheel was resting on the hub, the difference in alignment is miniscule.

GOOD NEWS, for ME: $319 including shipping, clearly brand new, never installed.

BAD NEWS for y'all, unless they start showing up on Ebay: Maserati dealer price is...gulp...$909. Sorry about that.

The tire will fit vertically behind the rear bumper. I'll need to cut out a rectangular hole in the trunk floor. The tire will be slightly above the trunk lip, but the hatch closes easily w/o any issue. I'll investigate how to secure the wheel to whatever structure I find behind the trunk liner.

I'll post photos when it's all set up.

This is how much the VredesteinSpaceMaster will protrude above the trunk floor, if I lay the wheel at a front-to-back angle, leaning up against the rear wall. OR, I can stand the tire fully vertical, which would protrude MORE into the open space, but would provide more space in the well.

Now I need to decide if I should make a new floor, or cut a hole in the OEM part. Hmm.

I'm totally satisfied with the minimal intrusion.

Attachments

• Vredestein.jpg
    Vredestein.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 534
HOORAY! IT FITS! VredesteinSpaceMaster from a 2017-2021 Maserati Levante.
It bolts up perfectly, (both back and front) not even close to any issue with brakes or suspension parts. Inflates as designed, car is perfectly level when the tire is inflated. Drove gently around my community (haha...some harsh concrete cracks) and up to 40mph, and noticed zero difference in ride/handling (drove with it installed on the front).

The bore of this VredesteinSpaceMaster is very slightly larger than the OEM Apollo/Gemini wheel, so in fact, while installed, it will be "lug centric" rather than "hub centric". The tapered lug nuts didn't cause the wheel to shift when installing, so when the wheel was resting on the hub, the difference in alignment is miniscule.

GOOD NEWS, for ME: $319 including shipping, clearly brand new, never installed.

BAD NEWS for y'all, unless they start showing up on Ebay: Maserati dealer price is...gulp...$909. Sorry about that.

The tire will fit vertically behind the rear bumper. I'll need to cut out a rectangular hole in the trunk floor. The tire will be slightly above the trunk lip, but the hatch closes easily w/o any issue. I'll investigate how to secure the wheel to whatever structure I find behind the trunk liner.

I'll post photos when it's all set up.
I am glad I found that one for all you Model Y people! When you are searching around see if you can find one for my Model S Plaid. It is 5X120.