Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW doesn't get memo: "EV's no longer have to look stupid".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's me... Maybe I've just never been driving a car and thought to myself...

Self, hey this sure beats walking 20 miles to work... but you know what would make it better? If I felt like I was driving a marshmallow. I've always wanted to drive a marshmallow. I mean, they go great with hot chocolate, so... who wouldn't want to drive the world's most solidly colored car?

I have a feeling how this went down; Manager "Wow, did you see how clean Tesla's factory is"? "well, yeah.."
"how do we beat that"?
"Make ALL THE THINGS white!"
"Sounds like a plan to me!"
"GO TEAM!"

The problem is concept cars in general. Stop building "concept" cars, and start building ACTUAL cars.
Tesla didn't do a concept car, they did a design intent car.

Sure, your design intent will never be identical to the finished product, but at least it's representative and people know what you plan to do. Concept cars don't represent anything, and don't give any clue what you plan to actually do in the future.

Reactions: gavine
The problem is concept cars in general. Stop building "concept" cars, and start building ACTUAL cars.

Sure, your design intent will never be identical to the finished product, but at least it's representative and people know what you plan to do. Concept cars don't represent anything, and don't give any clue what you plan to actually do in the future.
Yeah, how does Porsche dare to show this concept more than 4 years ago and now actually bring it to the market...

The objectives were clear: to design a completely new vehicle concept and combine it with an all-new drive concept

Well, I guess Porsche is run a bit different than VW. Oh no wait, the same guys as CEO of each company presented both concept cars :rolleyes:

Chevy Volt Concept: *cough* *cough* 2 door sports car... fun/exciting/cool.
Production: it's a Honda Accord that's not as good as a Honda Accord.

Attachments

• Chevy-Volt-Concept-07.jpg
    Chevy-Volt-Concept-07.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 77

I don't think automakers are going to stop building concept cars... I think part of it is for their own entertainment; plus I suppose they use these to gauge public reaction to a given set of design directions. I have seen production cars that were quite similar to the concept (but many more that were much different). Rarely have I seen a concept car that I thought would sell a lot of copies "as is." This is not the intent. But face it... if you worked in the styling department and management was willing to pay you to have fun and design a weird, unsellable concept, you might do it too!