Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW ID3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't "good hardware but poor software" exactly what you would expect bearing in mind all the news stories leading up to this launch?

I just watched this review. There is a very interesting summary from 40 minutes onwards. I agree with everything this reviewer says.

It looks lovely, drives beautifully (I have to take his word for this!!) but the driver interface is very fiddly. There is genius in Tesla's simplicity for the Model 3.

He also kept mentioning about items that were optional extras. I love the way Tesla (like Lexus) just sells you the car and keeps the options minimal (colours and towbars basically).

It is great to see VW and Polestar enter the fray with really good efforts. All of these are hastening the end of the combustion engine.

Elon is frustrated he cannot build cheaper Teslas. The ID3 may be just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
I guess if you're going to have issues it's better to have software problems you can fix with updates rather than hardware issues you're stuck with!

Personally I didn't like the interior back when it was announced and I still don't now. Liked the idea of the augmented reality heads up display though

That dodgy mirror control, you could see as he was trying to adjust the mirrors he was constantly toggling the window controls.

Finally glossy piano black door handles, are they mad?! That stuff scratches just by existing let alone you grabbing it over and over again with oily dirty hands or rings!

Finally glossy piano black door handles, are they mad?! That stuff scratches just by existing let alone you grabbing it over and over again with oily dirty hands or rings!

I wonder if this is from Tesla experience? I've had piano black interiors in cars before and they aren't too much a scuff and scratch magnet. Bad for fingerprints though so I keep my microfibre cloth handy.

I wonder if this is from Tesla experience? I've had piano black interiors in cars before and they aren't too much a scuff and scratch magnet. Bad for fingerprints though so I keep my microfibre cloth handy.

Don't own a Tesla but when I got my Audi A4 I specced the black piano dashboard inserts, and while I've managed to keep the dashboard component pretty much perfect the parts around the drive selector and internal door handle surrounds have a few scratches from where my lightening cable has fell against it or where a passenger said "how this is very dusty" and ran their finger across it to wipe the dust off.

Perhaps they've improved it here but as you say fingerprints will at least be a problem!

My reticence over any EV other than a Tesla right now is the charging infrastructure. However good or bad the ID3 is, I'll not be buying one until I feel confident about making journeys beyond those from a home charge.

Yeah. The supercharger network is definitely our ace in the hole. It'll take the rest of the industry a while to catch up

It's such a huge USP. And it's been done by one company! Whole nations haven't managed to achieve the same on anything like the same scale ... groups of coordinated major manufacturers haven't managed it ... forward looking entrepreneurs haven't managed it ... yet the need for this essential charging infrastructure is so obvious!