Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW will trample tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VW has made a few concept battery electric vehicles. The concepts look pretty good.
So far that is all they do is make concepts and "compliance" cars. Time to shut down the diesel manufacturing and go all electric.
The Climate Crisis is real and we need real Climate Action. Time to stop the talk and walk the walk.
Young people see the urgency of the problem. Older fossils are still living in the past and need to change.

VW has made a few concept battery electric vehicles. The concepts look pretty good.
So far that is all they do is make concepts and "compliance" cars. Time to shut down the diesel manufacturing and go all electric.
The Climate Crisis is real and we need real Climate Action. Time to stop the talk and walk the walk.
Young people see the urgency of the problem. Older fossils are still living in the past and need to change.

Totally agree. Our daughters (aged 6 and 9) are only interested in EVs. They keep asking me why ICE cars are so slow and noisy?

Reactions: mspohr and Kenz
VW is ramping up production of electric cars: Zwickau: flagship of e-mobility

Around 100,000 electric models are to be produced in Zwickau as early as next year.
From 2021, up to 330,000 electric cars per year will come off the production line.​

However, there is not too much information about the current batteries manufacturing and cells provenance?

There is only a mention that VW has plans to set up a Giga Factory for battery cells in Salzgitter, about 200 miles (300 km) away, south of Hanover..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Two points: First and important is that more EVs result in less Co2 emitted into to atmosphere. From a climate perspective, a major manufacture like VW moving to EVs is a good thing. They will have to compete in the growing electric vehicle market world wide just as they did in the Internal Combustion markets of the past -- all players are welcome. Second, although VW's move to electrification is welcomed, it is not altruism. Their entry is greatly due to court orders as punishment for cheating, deceiving their customers and governments World Wide. That's, in part, is VW's motivation and the reason a number of VM and Audi executives are (correctly) in prison and suffering multi-billions in fines being paid by the same customers and investors they deceived. So here we are -- VM is welcome, but not applauded. I sold my Audi's and moved to a more responsible and honest manufacturer -- Tesla!

Two points: First and important is that more EVs result in less Co2 emitted into to atmosphere. From a climate perspective, a major manufacture like VW moving to EVs is a good thing. They will have to compete in the growing electric vehicle market world wide just as they did in the Internal Combustion markets of the past -- all players are welcome. Second, although VW's move to electrification is welcomed, it is not altruism. Their entry is greatly due to court orders as punishment for cheating, deceiving their customers and governments World Wide. That's, in part, is VW's motivation and the reason a number of VM and Audi executives are (correctly) in prison and suffering multi-billions in fines being paid by the same customers and investors they deceived. So here we are -- VM is welcome, but not applauded. I sold my Audi's and moved to a more responsible and honest manufacturer -- Tesla!
Bravo, if you knew the whole truth you'd have kicked the audi's on the way out the door. You did the right and best thing!

Reactions: Kenz

VW knowingly sold vehicles that were in violation of air quality standards and lied about it.
They are moving to all electric vehicles because the governments are requiring cleaner vehicle emissions.
I am glad they are going electric but they would not have if they did not get caught cheating.
VW also sees that Tesla is taking market share from ICE vehicles. Every car Tesla sells is one less ICE vehicle sold.
All legacy manufacturers are seeing ICE vehicle sales drop while electric vehicle sales are growing.
VW may eventually win back some of their customers that are disgusted by their cheating maybe not.
I spend my money with people and businesses I can trust.
I trust Tesla. They are making a quality product and they are leading the way to a better future.

Reactions: mspohr
Interesting article on VM's strategy. If I recall correctly, Daimler already announced it was ceasing all investment in future ICE development. For those manufacturers that may be tied to ICE for the foreseeable future, it may the Russian roulette. To that end, VM may have to speed up the process -- 2040 is potentially too late. While this thread focuses on VW's effect on Tesla, keep in mind there are many Chinese companies competing for the Asian/Indian market as well as other US startups focusing on Americas and Europe. Also consider social norms shifting to electric motorbikes as well as electrified scooters potentially reducing the over-all market. The VW branded vehicles are the high volume cash cow for VM Group allowing them to "toy" with boutique brands like Audi, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Porsche. My favorite comparison is what I call a "KODAK moment." KODAK was focused on protecting their film, chemical processing and printing infrastructure. They refused to develop digital photography which THEY INVENTED. Today the only memory of Kodachrome is a Paul Simon song (showing my age :( )

Actually at VW it is the small brands that make all the profit and VW makes almost nothing. Porsche by itself accounts for 1/2 of profits if memory serves. VW is also much more of a vertically integrated entity. They make many components in house vs Diailmer and bmw.

VW is most at risk due to structural issues of all of them but might get bailouts not available to BMW. Maybe Bosch and Conti (two huge parts suppliers the size of the OEMs) are equally at risk. Conti does some work for Tesla but neither can really recoup the dramatic fall in parts due to move to EV. Conti also makes the tires but in terms of employees I bet Conti has 75% of workforce building parts not tires.