Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW will trample tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After three years, VW is finally paying out after lying and cheating me. To bad too because my Golf was a great car, unbeknownst to me however it was also a smog and pollution pump and a giant scam. They can suck it, I’ll never buy another vehicle from the for as long as I live...

Guess where their money is going???

Attachments

• 992450DA-FAF8-43E1-8F4D-2CAE3F324598.jpeg
    992450DA-FAF8-43E1-8F4D-2CAE3F324598.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 127
Unfortunately, VW and Audi lost their most valuable asset -- TRUST! It is why I didn't replace my Audi Q7 with the newer Q7 moving me off the "TDI" falsehood to EV and my Tesla X. This falsehood perpetrated on customers has cost VM shareholders Millions, if not Billions.

The only good news the punishment now fits the crime--they are required to commit funds to EV's and charging infrastructure.

Reactions: Peteski
Unfortunately, VW and Audi lost their most valuable asset -- TRUST! It is why I didn't replace my Audi Q7 with the newer Q7 moving me off the "TDI" falsehood to EV and my Tesla X. This falsehood perpetrated on customers has cost VM shareholders Millions, if not Billions.

The only good news the punishment now fits the crime--they are required to commit funds to EV's and charging infrastructure.
It will be interesting to watch. Top Audi exec in jail right now. So far I'm not impressed, but next 2 years should be very interesting. Electrification of transportation is interesting to me - vehicles & planes & watercraft.

good luck

I'm never going to buy another VAG product based on their blatant diesel emissions cheating. It's pretty unbelievable and totally unforgivable what they did there. Luckily the entire VW range is as dull as dishwater and I find Audis both bland and pretentious at the same time! Porsche is the only VAG brand I really like and it's a shame they got caught up in all this BS. So just maybe I would consider a future Porsche EV, but I'm sticking with Tesla if they keep on or ahead of the pace. I think they deserve the full credit for getting people (including me) finally excited about EVs. I expect to add an M3 or MY to our MX in the next couple of years. If the M3 was available the UK today I'd order one immediately as a second car.

I'm never going to buy another VAG product based on their blatant diesel emissions cheating. It's pretty unbelievable and totally unforgivable what they did there. Luckily the entire VW range is as dull as dishwater and I find Audis both bland and pretentious at the same time! Porsche is the only VAG brand I really like and it's a shame they got caught up in all this BS. So just maybe I would consider a future Porsche EV, but I'm sticking with Tesla if they keep on or ahead of the pace. I think they deserve the full credit for getting people (including me) finally excited about EVs. I expect to add an M3 or MY to our MX in the next couple of years. If the M3 was available the UK today I'd order one immediately as a second car.
sadly most car buyers don't care - VW sales keep rising

Volkswagen AG's sales revenue from FY 2006 to FY 2017 (in million euros)
Sales revenue in million euros
2014 202,458
2015 213,292
2016 217,267
2017 230,682

more details
Volkswagen AG - sales revenue 2017 | Statistic

So, tell other people?

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
sadly most car buyers don't care - VW sales keep rising

Volkswagen AG's sales revenue from FY 2006 to FY 2017 (in million euros)
Sales revenue in million euros
2014 202,458
2015 213,292
2016 217,267
2017 230,682

more details
Volkswagen AG - sales revenue 2017 | Statistic

So, tell other people?

I have no doubt that most buyers don't care, but I think it's a bit early to see any affect on future sales from diesel gate. We'll need to see the 2018,19,20 sales first. Also there are many other factors affecting vehicle sales. Sales have been in recovery from the last recession in recent years.

VW sales are up.

Consumers really care little about the companies from which they buy. They have turned away from diesel in large numbers, but not the company.

(I too will never buy a car from any VW group company).

But actually I disagree that they should have been made to pay for infrastructure. All that will do is help other half-assed companies sell their compliancemobiles, and continue to support the false notion that there's a market in charging.

I told my Porche buddy, when do you think you can drive across country in your EV Porche in 3 days let know?
He asked why? I asked where did he think he would charge it?
First, not many people want to drive 1,000 miles a day for 3 days even if they could....

But, you should be able to do that with Electrify America stations next year. Pretty much every one of the initial ~300 highway locations is getting at least one 350 kW charging space with the others being 150 kW. They seem to be building the I-10 route from Los Angeles to Florida with at least six 150+ kW charging spaces per location but all highway spots will have at least 4 charger spaces.

A Chevy Bolt just made 2000 mile trip. It 16 days to charge and drive.
Takes me 4 days.
Obviously there are plenty of routes that can’t be done today using only DC charging and overnight hotel charging in a Bolt EV. But, there are quite a few trips you can easily do already.

Last year, I did a trip from San Francisco to Moab, Utah to see Arches National Park. That would have been a 1,000 mile 3 day drive except that I diverted to Salt Lake City to meet up with some friends first.

This year I’m just getting back from a round trip from SF to Edmonton, Alberta in Canada. I did the first 1,000 miles of that in 2 days. I could have easily done the full 1,600 mile distance in 4 days but stopped along the way to visit folks. Both trips were easy and fun.

The Bolt is fully capable of casual long-distance driving. It just needs the highway charging infrastructure and a lot more of that is planned to be built over the next year.

Today, highway DC charging for CCS or CHAdeMO is only available in certain regions but by the end of next year there should be a very usable nationwide network of 150+ kW capable locations. At that point, Tesla will still have a ~4 year lead on DC charging installation but the road trip usability gap will be dramatically smaller between Tesla cars and large-battery cars from some other makers including GM, VW, Hyundai/Kia, and Jaguar.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
First, not many people want to drive 1,000 miles a day for 3 days even if they could....

But, you should be able to do that with Electrify America stations next year. Pretty much every one of the initial ~300 highway locations is getting at least one 350 kW charging space with the others being 150 kW. They seem to be building the I-10 route from Los Angeles to Florida with at least six 150+ kW charging spaces per location but all highway spots will have at least 4 charger spaces.

Is there a charge to use the EA stations? I've looked and can't find that info anywhere.

Is there a charge to use the EA stations? I've looked and can't find that info anywhere.
Yes. There is a $1 session fee and about $.30 per minute although it varies by state. Right now they just take credit cards. In the future they will have a smartphone app and possibly discounted subscription rates. All charger spaces are these price today but could vary by rate capability in the future. Later this year EA has said they may announce support for CCS “Plug and Charge” which will allow new cars to auto-authenticate when plugged in sort of like Tesla Superchargers today.

At the existing pricing it’s around twice the cost to charge a Bolt EV vs a Model 3 with pay as you go pricing. Since it is time based, a Jaguar I-PACE or Audi e-tron would be a closer cost match since they charge faster. A Porsche Taycan would be cheaper to charge but by the time they arrive the cost to use the 350 kW charger spaces may go up.

Last edited:
Wow! $ 0.30 a minute seems steep. If that is base for J1772 and CHAdeMO with a potential premium when the 250 - 350KW charging and batteries become available, the price substantial. A quick estimate for my X would be $25-30 for 200 miles at J1772 charging rates. That is close to or exceeds the price of Gasoline (not in California/Alaska/Hawaii) for the equivalent mileage. VW will not have an advantage for the Porsche E, or future Audi/VW vehicles at that pricing since (as I read) they can't brand as VW charging stations or use as their private network.

Tesla's rate for non-grandfathered Model S/X is ~ $ 0.26 KW/hr seems reasonable with the first 400KW (~1000 miles) a year free. My time-of-day charging for my X at night (super-off-peak) is $0.0145 per KW/hr. Seems VW is trying to recover their $2 Billion cost. I won't need to add Electrify America maps to my routes. Maybe E/America destination chargers will be free or reasonable.

"Unfortunately, VW and Audi lost their most valuable asset"
Maybe not, they still have loyalty.

That being said, I see the IONITY charging system as an excuse for the faithful to wait while slowing adoption of EVs until the Germans can make some. I hope Tesla just uses two cables like they do for the Semi instead of redesigning the connector again and again.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
The Bolt is fully capable of casual long-distance driving. It just needs the highway charging infrastructure and a lot more of that is planned to be built over the next year.

Today, highway DC charging for CCS or CHAdeMO is only available in certain regions but by the end of next year there should be a very usable nationwide network of 150+ kW capable locations. At that point, Tesla will still have a ~4 year lead on DC charging installation but the road trip usability gap will be dramatically smaller between Tesla cars and large-battery cars from some other makers including GM, VW, Hyundai/Kia, and Jaguar.
So it may only take about 4 years for others to reach Tesla manufacturing levels?
(and have "competitive vehicles" people will buy) We shall see. interesting times

VW has a VERY large investment in diesel development and manufacturing. VW will lobby, threaten and exaggerate to keep that investment profitable.

Their investment pales in comparison to the fines, fees, penalties and worst of all, brand image damage that was done by their behavior. I hope they die a slow death kicking and screaming the whole way down. My Golf TDI was a good car though... right up until I found out it was worthless.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and Emmexx1
Well, it would be good for the environment should VW deliver on the CEO's commitment. Oh Yea, same company that the prior CEO said diesel line up was the environmentally alternative to Gasoline vehicles.

If they can product an affordable EV, Battery GigaFactory and Charge network by 2020 -- more power to them. That will catch up to Tesla today. With the latest climate warning of just 12 years before we hit the "Tipping Point", I hope this isn't more vaporware we have hear for years. We need one of the largest manufacturers to step up.