Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA-state distracted driving law vs. EAP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So glorious WA just had new law about week ago about distracted driving. The major point was that (basically) any use of electronic devices is not allowed. Fine $124 for first time, and some $200+ after first.

However, they also had interesting extra items as secondary offences, including eating and drinking, grooming/make-up and such. $90 for first, can't remember if there were more for seconds.

Now with EAP and especially FSD, I wonder how cops will interpret that new law. In theory if you hold coffee mug in your hand, that's $90 coffee for you.

EAP/FSD is my main reason of getting Tesla/M3 instead of Ioniq (or old S-CPO).

So glorious WA just had new law about week ago about distracted driving. The major point was that (basically) any use of electronic devices is not allowed. Fine $124 for first time, and some $200+ after first.

However, they also had interesting extra items as secondary offences, including eating and drinking, grooming/make-up and such. $90 for first, can't remember if there were more for seconds.

Now with EAP and especially FSD, I wonder how cops will interpret that new law. In theory if you hold coffee mug in your hand, that's $90 coffee for you.

You're not supposed to do any of those things with EAP. FSD doesn't work yet, and specifically says that it's dependent on regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. This is what they are referring to, Full Self Driving is currently illegal where you live.

You are telling me that Washington thinks that people are so barely capable of driving that they can't drink a soda pop while behind the wheel? Wow

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch
You're not supposed to do any of those things with EAP. FSD doesn't work yet, and specifically says that it's dependent on regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. This is what they are referring to, Full Self Driving is currently illegal where you live.

Absolutely. EAP is no excuse to go play with your phone or rummage through a purse. You're still 100% responsible for everything that happens regardless of using EAP or not, so distracted driving laws still apply.

Some states have both-hands-on-the-wheel laws too, and some Model S/X drivers have ALREADY been ticketed for hands-free driving under such laws.

Does dash mount GPS get you in trouble?
You live in a state where it may get you in trouble :D

The new 2017 distracted driving law in CA also restricts you from using permanently mounted devices in interactions that are not navigation related, or are navigation related and cannot be done in "one tap or swipe". E.g. typing a street address into your Tesla nav while driving would technically violate the new law. I'm skeptical how well it can be enforced.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3

My commute is slow and boring, mostly stop-and-go -ish traffic on freeway, so I'm really hoping EAP (and eventually FSD when I have Tesla M3v3) will take some of the burden. It'd be perfect it it's good enough (and legal enough) that on the freeway I could just sit back and relax. Read a book, have my morning coffee, chat with friends, etc. Wake me up when my exit comes.

There's comic in Finland where they usually twist the meaning for words/phrases:

My translation attempt:

Tässä on automaattinen hätäjarrutus ja jalankulkijoiden tunnistus = It has automatic braking and it can detect/identify pedestrians (tunnistus can mean either detect or identify, depending on the context)
Vau = Wow
Se oli Esko Makkonen = He was John Fields

a9110e9f11a843a690c0a5eb7bf7408a.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX
You can drink water and coffee or eat fries guys. The new law doesn't state it clearly, but you can only be fined for drinking/eating if it became the cause of unsafe driving. So if you drink some hot coffee and it spills on your lap causing you to swerve and a cop catches it, then yes, you can be ticketed.

You can drink water and coffee or eat fries guys. The new law doesn't state it clearly, but you can only be fined for drinking/eating if it became the cause of unsafe driving. So if you drink some hot coffee and it spills on your lap causing you to swerve and a cop catches it, then yes, you can be ticketed.
That's not how I read it. This is a secondary offense, meaning they won't stop you for eating or grooming, but if they are stopping you for something else, they can ticket you for this.