Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage door opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but this is for a gate. Regardless of which side I approach the gate from, it gets treated as an arrival (since the geofence is a circle).

I need it to take the orientation of the vehicle into account.

Ah. I gotcha. That’s a bit more challenging - Not sure how they’d work that into the UI. I suppose it’s possible but sounds like a very complex setup for configuration purposes.

Agreed, of all the things they took away, I think this one is the most annoying b/c all new luxury cars come with Homelink standard now. I don't care about the frunk hooks or mat, or leds in the door pockets as they are marginally useful. But who the heck doesn't use a garage door opener these days?!?!?!

Pretty much most cars come with homelink now... not just luxury cars. Homelink is probably more common than power windows which also came with most cars now. At a minimum, if they want to charge $300 for it, put it as an option when buying it. Making people buy it afterward and take it back to the service center to install it makes no sense.

Pretty much most cars come with homelink now... not just luxury cars. Homelink is probably more common than power windows which also came with most cars now. At a minimum, if they want to charge $300 for it, put it as an option when buying it. Making people buy it afterward and take it back to the service center to install it makes no sense.

Depends on how much "work" it is to build one car different from the next.

They generally build in batches, so doing one-off stuff like installing Homelink or not on the MFG line has a cost (especially if it's selected rarely enough to not make "do this whole batch of type of car X WITH homelink" an option)

Tesla has apparently concluded it's a higher cost than having a ranger or service center do it for whatever # of folks actually want it.

Thanks to whoever suggested taping the garage remote to the back of the screen. This works really well and feels similar to BMWs placement of the HomeLink buttons under the mirror. I centered the remote to the back of the screen under the mounting arm so it's Hidden from view yet easy to find. No need to spend $300 for GPS enabled HomeLink. For us it was more the inconvenience of keeping a remote in the cubby. This was a no brainier fix.

• Informative
Reactions: K3Man
Can you please provide some details on how to do it?
What I did isn't necessarily the most efficient, engineering-wise (if I had to do it from scratch, I'd do it differently), but it is fast and inexpensive...

1) Buy a TP-Link Kasa wireless AC switch or similar. These interface directly with Alexa without the need for a hub, currently $14 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Occupies-HS105-Wall-Light-Electronic-Component-switches/dp/B01K1JVZOE

2) Buy a simply 5V relay, 5V DC coil, with relay that is suitable for 120VAC, low current. It could be a module with connectors like this ($6.00):
https://www.amazon.com/Tolako-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B00VRUAHLE

or even just a raw 5VDC relay like this:
https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-SRD-05VDC-SL-C-5Pins-Power-Relay/dp/B085ZX7LVJ

3) Find or buy a simple 120VAC to 5VDC charger wallwart, like any old USB charger. You probably have several lying around, or get one at the Dollar store, or this (overkill): it just needs to provide 120VAC->5VDC at 100ma...
https://www.amazon.com/Android-Adapter-2000mah-Charger-Matricom/dp/B073VYWBGK

4) Optional, a project box, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Awclub-Waterproof-Dustproof-Universal-100mmx68mmx50mm/dp/B07CG2B9H3

The idea is simple:
- Alexa tells the TPLink Kasa wireless switch to turn ON (120VAC)
- The 120VAC powers the USB charger
- The 5VDC turns ON the relay
- The relay acts like the garage door opener button.

Alexa >> TPLink >> 5VDC charger >> 5V relay >> garage opener switch terminals closed

Wire the NO (normally open) relay output (switch) across the opener terminals where the opener switch goes -- in parallel, the existing switch can stay. This project took me maybe 20mins to make and fit in a small project box -- another 5mins to wiring into the opener setup. Total cost < $30.

The last tidbit is that a standard opener switch is "momentary", a push button, whereas the TPLink is ON or OFF. So go to the Alexa App and create a simple "routine", called Garage or similar. The routine is simply Turn ON Kasa switch, wait 5secs, Turn OFF Kasa switch. Then you just say "Alexa Garage" to activate the routine.

The major "con" of this method, is that there is no knowledge of if the door is already open or not -- the same is true for the standard garage opener switch. In practice, it hasn't been a problem. But if you want to do better, just put a wireless sensor (like a window security sensor) on the garage door that Alexa can read and have the Routine account for the state of the garage door. I haven't bothered with this though...

Let me know if you have more questions....

garage1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fritzner
Just get a new garage opener that works via WiFi like the newer Chamberlains. They're quieter, smoother, and have a dedicated app that is pretty easy to use and setup.
I personally don't find having to fish out my phone, rummaging around for an app and tapping some app button to be an advance over tapping a button on garage remote control (e.g. on the visor). The advance I was interested in is hands-free voice control. Proximity auto-opening/closing is nice.... until you don't want it to happen. Yes, there are several options now for Alexa-enabled openers, more than $30 though and usually requiring completely re-doing the opener mechanism instead of using the existing opener.

This guy made a Youtube video of basically the same idea, but using another brand of wireless relay...

Last edited:
I personally don't find having to fish out my phone, rummaging around for an app and tapping some app button to be an advance over tapping a button on garage remote control (e.g. on the visor). The advance I was interested in is hands-free voice control. Proximity auto-opening/closing is nice.... until you don't want it to happen. Yes, there are several options now for Alexa-enabled openers, more than $30 though and usually requiring completely re-doing the opener mechanism instead of using the existing opener.

This guy made a Youtube video of basically the same idea, but using another brand of wireless relay...

Who said you have to use your phone. I double-sided taped my controller to the back of the screen. The linked solution you provided looks like a fire hazard haha

Reactions: f308gt4
HomeLink hasn't been included in the Model 3 since like June or July. I suspect they had data that indicated that most folks didn't actually use it. So instead of paying Gentex for every car sold, they likely figured the folks that want it will pay for it.

This is why. Purely a licensing issue. Have to pay a fee for every unit sold, regardless of use. Structured volume pricing. At $300 and a mobile service visit, it's not a significant driver in margin.

its the license cost. likely tesla are not making much off the sale.

the model 3 i have was born in march this year and i had to get it installed after the sale too. its not a big deal since the ranger can install it at your home or office in under an hour and there is no extra labor cost, but it would have been a "nice to have" option of requesting it to be included when your car was scheduled to be built.

i read tesla don't necessarily build model 3's specifically to unique people since its now a mass produced car, but still..

Reactions: hcdavis3
I just bought the Homelink for my new M3, can't believe they are charging $300 for such a small module.

you should design your own and then pay people to drive to customers homes to install it. You will be a trillionaire!

if the size of the module is your deciding factor, I bet you never bought a cpu, large high speed flash drive, or even a cell phone. The size/price comparison is insane.