Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ormond

Endless Peacock
Jul 10, 2016
Central Florida
I ordered a X90D two days ago, and am in my 7 day cooling-off period. This morning I drank two cold ones (diet soda) while reviewing the new posts on Tesla Motors Club. I didn't leave for work until 11 am. On the way to work, I heard a stock trader recommend shorting Tesla and Solar City. :eek:

As you know, buying a Tesla is a big investment. I know I will like the MX90D that I ordered, but how do you get through the wait? I don't need the car until November, but I am already looking at all the new inventory P90DL. Once I get my confirmation, I will see when the ETA is on my X. I am guessing that it might not arrive until December.

The last automobile that I ordered from the factory was a Pontiac Firebird! I usually buy off the lot.

I know that you all have suffered through it. How do I get through the next couple months? :confused: I feel like my avatar.

I ordered a X90D two days ago, and am in my 7 day cooling-off period. This morning I drank two cold ones (diet soda) while reviewing the new posts on Tesla Motors Club. I didn't leave for work until 11 am. On the way to work, I heard a stock trader recommend shorting Tesla and Solar City. :eek:

As you know, buying a Tesla is a big investment. I know I will like the MX90D that I ordered, but how do you get through the wait? I don't need the car until November, but I am already looking at all the new inventory P90DL. Once I get my confirmation, I will see when the ETA is on my X. I am guessing that it might not arrive until December.

The last automobile that I ordered from the factory was a Pontiac Firebird! I usually buy off the lot.

I know that you all have suffered through it. How do I get through the next couple months? :confused: I feel like my avatar.

Hang in there - the time will fly by before you know it.

Reading the manual is good advice. It'll be at least as useful a week or month after delivery as well.

There's lots to do yet...

Seek out a good checklist. Review each item and note questions next to any. There will be a bit of information overload during "the day", so the less you have to keep in your head the better.

Identify any/all aftermarket work to be done. Cast a wide net. For example, for tint and paint correction/protection, I evaluated pretty every shop of note from the Mexican border to the Bay Area, and then some. That takes awhile.

Home charging and allowing time for the rate plan to switch over are two more tasks.

Keep the setting up of HOV/toll lane account and applying for HOV lane stickers if applicable in mind. Subject to plate and VIN availability iirc.

That and yeah, try to cut back forum reading to weekly if you can - it's skewed like any other forum to the negative side. Also have a look at the tesla.com/forum forums - may have to email the admin to unlock the rest of your privileges now that you're a committed order holder. Will get access to the owners-only private threads that way.

Another thing that comes to mind if you haven't already done so is to reach out to 1-2 local/regional owners clubs. Attend their next gathering, join their online groups, that sort of thing. They can commiserate in person :)

Good luck, and enjoy.

The wait anxiety is real. We used to order our BMWs with European Delivery. We ordered them ~6 months in advance. I didn't have this kind of wait anxiety for some reason.

It's been almost 2 months since placing the order. There's not one day I don't visit TMC and first thing I do every morning is check my emails on my iPad next to the bed, for emails from Tesla. Now I finally have my delivery date but it's still 2 weeks away.

Good luck with wait anxiety.

Reactions: Ormond
Mine took four long months. I spent far too much time on TMC during those months, and was remarkably impatient towards the end, especially when the communications weren't as clear as I might have hoped. But the car is worth the wait. :)

I ordered my MX90D on August 22nd, and will take delivery of it September 24th, a month ahead of the estimated delivery date I got initially. So I have the electrician coming in next week to set up the wiring in the garage, and need to rush to get my garage ready for it!

So instead of worrying about the date, get everything lined up and ready now to make the time fly.

I ordered my MX90D on August 22nd, and will take delivery of it September 24th, a month ahead of the estimated delivery date I got initially. So I have the electrician coming in next week to set up the wiring in the garage, and need to rush to get my garage ready for it!

So instead of worrying about the date, get everything lined up and ready now to make the time fly.

Wow thats actually great to hear then. Maybe the estimated delivery time the gave me is actually correct!

Keep the setting up of HOV/toll lane account and applying for HOV lane stickers if applicable in mind. Subject to plate and VIN availability iirc.

I was going to suggest walking away from tmc for a while to. That's until I read the above and realized i had forgotten to add the tesla/remove the previous car from my Fastrack account. That will be interesting when the bill comes as I've been driving the tesla this way for about 2 weeks.

So yeah, keep reading tmc after all, valuable info here :)

Waiting anxiety is nothing compared to range anxiety once you have the car.

If you say so. I had lots of waiting anxiety, but have yet to really experience any range anxiety - between the 200 miles in the tank every morning and the very detailed projections and maps, there isn't really anything to be anxious about in my opinion.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I were doing a lot of road trips in areas where there aren't many charging options, but I doubt it - unless I was really stretching a specific leg.

I installed my HPWC during the wait.

I have this going in on Wednesday... Since it was a month ahead of time it was a bit of a rush, but my electrician came through. Have the utility coming tomorrow to drop off the sub meter. Spent all day today cleaning out my garage to make it as spacious as possible for the new toy. And I did get the new toll meter pass ordered as well, so I'm off to a good start...

Just 5 days 11 hours left...not that I'm counting.

As you know, buying a Tesla is a big investment.

I don't know this since for me this is what an "investment" is:

in·vest·ment, noun
the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

You will see no profit or material result from buying a Tesla -- only depreciation. But that's no reason not to buy the vehicle. Just make sure you also have real investments. Life is all about balance and my Tesla brings me joy every day so depreciation is of no concern to me.

Wrong forum. No one has range anxiety here. You need to go here and post your FUD -- since it will actually make sense:

My Nissan Leaf Forum - Index page

Then again, you probably didn't short the Nissan stock.

I don't know this since for me this is what an "investment" is:

You will see no profit or material result from buying a Tesla -- only depreciation. But that's no reason not to buy the vehicle. Just make sure you also have real investments. Life is all about balance and my Tesla brings me joy every day so depreciation is of no concern to me.

Maybe he is an advisor and will get more clients or a realtor and will get more sales. He may get so much more joy out of his life that he does better at any job and makes up the deprecation year over year - Who knows.. Could be an investment.