Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for CarPlay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My main use for CarPlay would be to replace the stock google maps nav function. The interface and lane warnings/descriptions on the google maps are inferior to both CarPlay and what ever comes stock with my outgoing Audi SQ5. I think the map quality for google is great (maybe even the best out there) but it is the way it displays driving instructions and road graphics that frankly sucks a bit. I also love the overall Tesla interface in terms of cleanness and shading, but I do not think they have the resources to fine tune the subsections like nav (or the clock which is hard to see and has only one "face"). Third parties could open up the full potential of that huge screen. Even if they switched from the google product to whatever Audi uses would be an upgrade IMO.

I would love to see Google (Android) Auto. Being able to see my phone screen apps on half of the Tesla's Center screen would be very cool for things like text messages and apps like Pandora. Being able to use "Hey Google" would allow for hands free operation. I don't want to use my phone much in the car but it is nice not to have to do it at all while in the car.
I don't think there are any licensing / hardware issue with this either (please implement this even if the Apple solution won't be available because of licensing issues)

So other than being obstinate, is there a reason -- given or presumed -- that Tesla won't add CarPlay and/or the google equivalent?
I have no inside knowledge, so what I'm about to write is all conjecture.
CarPlay is believed to use hooks in to QNX, which most automotive companies use for their entertainment systems. Apple must work with each vendor to ensure that everything works properly, but this is mostly a "porting" exercise.

Tesla probably developed their own Linux-based entertainment system from scratch, foregoing QNX completely.

If the above is true, then CarPlay integration into Tesla's entertainment system is non-trivial and would require a lot of work by both Apple and Tesla. That means one or both parties might not be interested in making that investment.

I have no inside knowledge, so what I'm about to write is all conjecture.
CarPlay is believed to use hooks in to QNX, which most automotive companies use for their entertainment systems. Apple must work with each vendor to ensure that everything works properly, but this is mostly a "porting" exercise.

Tesla probably developed their own Linux-based entertainment system from scratch, foregoing QNX completely.

If the above is true, then CarPlay integration into Tesla's entertainment system is non-trivial and would require a lot of work by both Apple and Tesla. That means one or both parties might not be interested in making that investment.
Thank you for that thought! Seems a pretty reasonable explanation.

On top of that, if Apple is indeed going to make a car, then they would certainly have reduced incentive to help port -- or do all of the work to port -- CarPlay to Tesla's system.

Oh well, bummer.

This is all because Tesla likes to reinvent the wheel. There are a lot of stuff that just works but they want to think different yet they don't have the resources for it. This is what you get (don't get) at the end.

I have Apple CarPlay in my Volvo (2016 XC90). I was really excited about it when they added, but pretty disappointed. The main issue I have is the jarring user experience. It looks basically like a window within the touchscreen that resembles a sideways iPhone. You get a few apps that worked (no Waze, etc.), but they're worse than they are on the phone and very different than the car's built-in system. So some features worked via CarPlay while others you have to use the car's UI. It might be different if it completely disabled the car's system so the entire UI was iPhone-like, but then it would need integration with the center console screen and HUD. Also without wireless I had to open the console and plug it in where it wasn't accessible easily. I found it far easier to plug in an old iPhone/iPod and just play music via the old Apple Music Interface. I REALLY wish Tesla would support this (music from the iPhone but digital out and in-car UI).

The Tesla logo was not shown in the Apple announcement stream. I'm not sure they even consider Tesla a "major manufacturer" given their production numbers. I'm not sure Apple even announced anything new that we didn't hear before in today's stream. You're reading too much into it.

With that said, I hope CarPlay support comes ASAP (v7.2??).
So far they are not (in numbers) a ''major manufacturer'' BUT being associated with Tesla would be very nice. At this moment my Tesla can take charge on my iPhone for call and music so it isn't so bad...