Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting for model s...should I wait until June?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Tesla there is no Next Years Model.

They make constant improvement and changes day by day, as they are implemented.

They do not have model years, just calendar years beginning on January 1st.

No difference between Dec. 31 and Jan. 1.

While the latest refresh could be argued was when the MX was launched, they've since changed the seat coverings, added folding seats, removed ventilated seat options, tweaked some interior materials

Speculation, at least to me, is more linked to the MS, the interior of that is largely the same since launch 6 years ago, the seats have changed, they've bolted in a centre console, and a few other minor cosmetics. It could do with going a bit more upmarket and possibly inherit some of the MX features like auto doors. The MS had an exterior facelift 2 years ago so its a bit early for another.

That said.. a new higher definition centre display with faster graphics would be cool, add in haptic feedback so you know when you've done something, but you can wait forever.

Actually, a minor refresh seems to have been hinted at in the Q4 newsletter - I just now noticed this:

We expect Model S and Model X gross margins to increase in 2018 with improved trim mix and option content, lower cost of acquisition and lower manufacturing costs.

Translation: we're going to offer some tempting new optional extras this year.

Why do you think there is a refresh coming in June? Nothing's announced, unless I missed it. Buy now, I'd say....either ways you won't get it until late March or April

I already have one ordered that's being completed Feb 26th of this month then being shipped to NJ after it's done. I say June because that's when they have their big shareholders meeting and usually announce new products for the year.

Thus nothing major hinted at if I’m reading that correctly.

It depend entirely on what the trim and particularly options are. For example, maybe their chemistry advances will let them introduce a 115kW pack. That would be pretty major. Maybe there will be an even-higher-performance version. Maybe it's some neato accessory. We just don't know what they mean yet.

But if you mean "complete architecture restructuring", no, that's clearly not referring to such a thing.

It depend entirely on what the trim and particularly options are. For example, maybe their chemistry advances will let them introduce a 115kW pack. That would be pretty major. Maybe there will be an even-higher-performance version. Maybe it's some neato accessory. We just don't know what they mean yet.

But if you mean "complete architecture restructuring", no, that's clearly not referring to such a thing.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess the only things that would make a big difference to me would be options such as self-presenting doors, 4g for the internet. The battery pack I have is the 75D since that was the most I could spend right now.

I already have one ordered that's being completed Feb 26th of this month then being shipped to NJ after it's done. I say June because that's when they have their big shareholders meeting and usually announce new products for the year.

I hear you. In the same boat. Let's see what March brings :) Ofcourse, won't be fun if they DO introduce major changes later but then I feel Model 3 is getting most love /attention right now...