Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock: Is there a way to leave a person in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto. The seats have weight sensors and [I assume] that’s why the car doesn’t lock when I leave someone in the car. My car is set to honk the horn when walking away/locking and it doesn’t do that when I leave someone in the car.]

Apparently it does not use those sensors, or all these situations people experience would not happen.

I leave the door not fully closed to avoid locking.
But every time i think "jesus. the car that intelligent has to understand that if there is a weight on a seat and a seat belt is put on on that seat, that means there is someone there". But not - the car locks itself.

Sorry, i brokke the quote code and my message went in the quote. Ill try again.

Ditto. The seats have weight sensors and [I assume] that’s why the car doesn’t lock when I leave someone in the car. My car is set to honk the horn when walking away/locking and it doesn’t do that when I leave someone in the car.

@Occhis, I wonder if the alarm went off cause a seat sensor didn’t register your wife sitting in a seat.

Apparently it does not use those sensors, or all these situations people experience would not happen.

But every time i think "jesus. the car that intelligent has to understand that if there is a weight on a seat and a seat belt is put on on that seat, that means there is someone there". But not - the car locks itself.

Sorry, i brokke the quote code and my message went in the quote. Ill try again.

And what happens if it’s a bag of dog food on the passenger seat? Car doesn’t lock?

They could add the seatbelt test. But if someone belts their dog food? Or the guest unbuckles for comfort?

I think camp mode is the best option.

Only 1 phone/user can be used at a time as a key.
To expand on this: if the driver leaves the car, the wife's phone key would need to be manually connected )after your key is disconnected) to activate. This is not worth the hassle, because...

Left my wife in the car while i dashed in to a store this AM but put it on Camp Mode (as others have stated and thank you for sharing that) and radio stayed on. This seems to be the simplest solution (although apparently one needs to touch the screen every thirty minutes or so - haven't tested this myself).

To expand on this: if the driver leaves the car, the wife's phone key would need to be manually connected )after your key is disconnected) to activate. This is not worth the hassle, because...

Left my wife in the car while i dashed in to a store this AM but put it on Camp Mode (as others have stated and thank you for sharing that) and radio stayed on. This seems to be the simplest solution (although apparently one needs to touch the screen every thirty minutes or so - haven't tested this myself).
Camp mode keeps the screen on all night. Bummer if one is trying to actually camp (that is get out of the 95 degree tent and actually sleep).