Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger - Idle 240v Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local utility is offering up to $300 rebate on EVSE purchases but requires EnergyStar certification of phantom loads to be on the eligible list. A quick review of other EVSEs suggests that Tesla is in the neighborhood of other manufacturers so this may just be a case of Tesla being unaware of how that EnergyStar list is being used.

Anybody know how to pass on the message to the right people at Tesla ?

I'm puzzled. Help me here. You own a car where the cheapest model is over $40K. You will be using a home charger where you are saving a boatload of money compare to gas costs of which are rising. Your maintenance will be a fraction of an ICE car and you are concerned about whether a charger might cost you a $0.50 a month in keep alive use? SMH. Please explain.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3 and Gasaraki
I'm puzzled. Help me here. You own a car where the cheapest model is over $40K. You will be using a home charger where you are saving a boatload of money compare to gas costs of which are rising. Your maintenance will be a fraction of an ICE car and you are concerned about whether a charger might cost you a $0.50 a month in keep alive use? SMH. Please explain.
That LED light on the charger though... why does it have to use so much power?! It should be like 1W, not the 3W it's using. That's like 300% more energy use. My wallet is getting drained.

Reactions: rpiotro
I've connected my car to a 120V/15A (rate limited to 10A because there is something else connected to that circuit as well) which has a smart energy monitoring plug paired to my home assistant installation. My car is charged to its 80% threshold and Sentry is off while in the driveway. I'll let it sit through the night and see tomorrow its power usage over time. Right now it's drawing 2W of power.

I have a tesla wall connector that is connected to my main house panel as normal. It shows the green lights as normal. The clamp-on ammeter shows about 0.025 amps which is about 6 watts at 240 VAC. That is about 1 KWHr over a week - i think this is a bit high for idle current when car not charging.

Are you referring to mine? True, the receptacle he used wouldn't work any other way based on it's internal design. I have the cable mounted as such that most of the strain has been relieved outside of the frame of the photo. I'll probably change it myself eventually but my job is very busy and demanding currently so it's low on my priority list.
When you get some free time, it's a relatively easy project. My daughter, who owns a Model S, had a 240 outlet in her garage that also was "upside down", like yours. This was installed before they moved in. Fixing it only took about ten minutes total. We turned off the power to the circuit, took off the outlet cover, unscrewed the outlet from the box and turned it half around inside the box, screwed the outlet back into the box, and put the cover back on. Fortunately, there was enough excess wiring inside the box to do this. The most difficult part was turning the outlet. 240 wiring is very thick.