Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charging Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many threads on this. In addition to the faster charging capability, the wall unit is more robust and makes it convenient to leave the mobile charger in the car. There’s something aesthetically pleasing to many people about having an attractively installed wall charger versus a mobile charger, too.

Reactions: KJD and eprosenx
The Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) that comes with the Model 3 will never use more than 40 Amps (which really means 32A as it never goes over 80% of the power source.) The best outlet you can get for home is a NEMA 14-50 which, although a 50A outlet, will be still considered 40A by the UMC.

To charge at 60A (80% of which is 48A) you need to the “Wall Connector”. Realistically, unless you’re a real estate agent or uber driver who needs to charge multiple times a day, then you’re going to schedule your charging overnight and 40A is enough to get you charged by morning.

I went ahead and installed the Wall Connector - even though I could only safely support a 40A breaker in my panel - for (1) aesthetics and (2) because the 24ft cable allows me the option to park my car facing either direction. I also like the idea of leaving the UMC packed up in the car at all times.

If you talk yourself into buying a 2nd UMC for convenience, then getting the wall connection is not that much more. Just make sure you’re going to be in that house a while before going to the trouble.

31FED605-B476-4831-804E-97299F524DD7.jpeg

If you talk yourself into buying a 2nd UMC for convenience, then getting the wall connection is not that much more. Just make sure you’re going to be in that house a while before going to the trouble.
Have the electrician run a neutral wire to the HPWC during installation for future flexibility.

Exclude the HPWC if you list the house. If the buyer wants it, list price will be a bargain for them since they won't have to pay an electrician to install the replacement.

If you don't get the price you want for HPWC, you or an electrician can remove HPWC, install 50-Amp breaker, install NEMA 14-50 outlet in HPWC location, patch wall then touch up the paint.

You win either way.

Reactions: MikeATL

I've got a second UMC and love it. The charge rate is not an issue, it is always finished before I need it. But have the plug available is very handy. The camper can plug in when needed, I can charge my Leaf off of it as well.

For me, the wall is nice, flashy Tesla. The 14-50 and extra UMC is much more utilitarian.