Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a tesla model 3 2021 SR+ and added a wall connector in my garage as well. Its reading 240W but its supplying max of 32A instead 48A. When I have added the breaker for 60A in the breaker panel as well. When open the wall connector setting it really show max output set for 48A, but my tesla limits max of 32A, Anyone know anything about this? How do I get 48A so i can charge the car little faster.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I recently purchased a tesla model 3 2021 SR+ and added a wall connector in my garage as well. Its reading 240W but its supplying max of 32A instead 48A. When I have added the breaker for 60A in the breaker panel as well. When open the wall connector setting it really show max output set for 48A, but my tesla limits max of 32A, Anyone know anything about this? How do I get 48A so i can charge the car little faster.

You dont, because the SR+ is limited to 32amp charging. See quote at the bottom of the screenshot of the charging speed graph provided by tesla itself, on its wall connector page:

=====================================

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.35.24 PM.png

SR+ has a smaller battery, and smaller charging unit in the car, and is limited to 32amp charging rates. To get to 48A, you need a dual-motor(long range) 3.

So basically the SR and SR+ have almost no benefit from getting a HPWC vs a NEMA 14-50? (other than the HPWC looking bad-ass)

I feel like all those circuit sharing, smart-comms, and other home integrations with the Gen 3 HPWC will never come out :(

So basically the SR and SR+ have almost no benefit from getting a HPWC vs a NEMA 14-50? (other than the HPWC looking bad-ass)

I feel like all those circuit sharing, smart-comms, and other home integrations with the Gen 3 HPWC will never come out :(

There is no charging speed benefit for an SR+ using a wall connector vs using the mobile charger that comes with the car. The benefits (beside looks) have to do with the HPWC being rated for outdoor installations, and being able to share a circuit, which I think is available now.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Seriously, people, charge at night at home. Then, it doesn't matter at all if it is 30 mi/h or 44 mi/h charging speed. And if you use Tesla as a taxi then you probably can't avoid Supercharging anyway. The point of a faster than NEMA 14-50 charger is frankly moot to me.

Did you set it up with Wifi and the prompts?

There is no charging speed benefit for an SR+ using a wall connector vs using the mobile charger that comes with the car. The benefits (beside looks) have to do with the HPWC being rated for outdoor installations, and being able to share a circuit, which I think is available now.

Do people need to drill a weep hole under the HPWC if it's mounted outdoors? Asking for a friend.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Seriously, people, charge at night at home. Then, it doesn't matter at all if it is 30 mi/h or 44 mi/h charging speed. And if you use Tesla as a taxi then you probably can't avoid Supercharging anyway. The point of a faster than NEMA 14-50 charger is frankly moot to me.

It's really not about the speed of charging for me as both are adequate. It is about the cost of installation and which one is more reliable. For sustained EV charging at 32 amps, you need a high quality, industrial grade outlet which is $75-$100 (Hubbell or others). Most 14-50 outlets are not made for a constant draw like EV charging and residential grade for a washer/dryer. You also need a $45 Tesla 14-50 adapter. Additionally, some people (myself included) would want to purchase another mobile connector ($275) in order to always have the 110v mobile connector in our car at all times. At this point you are already over $400 in costs. The wall connector costs $500, looks better, is safer and less likely to fail (EV charging will melt the 14-50 outlet connectors after a few years, even an industrial grade outlet). The charging faster is just an added benefit. Couple that with a 30% federal tax credit available and the cost to install really is basically the same.

Reactions: Sacramento and GSP
It's really not about the speed of charging for me as both are adequate. It is about the cost of installation and which one is more reliable. For sustained EV charging at 32 amps, you need a high quality, industrial grade outlet which is $75-$100 (Hubbell or others). Most 14-50 outlets are not made for a constant draw like EV charging and residential grade for a washer/dryer. You also need a $45 Tesla 14-50 adapter. Additionally, some people (myself included) would want to purchase another mobile connector ($275) in order to always have the 110v mobile connector in our car at all times. At this point you are already over $400 in costs. The wall connector costs $500, looks better, is safer and less likely to fail (EV charging will melt the 14-50 outlet connectors after a few years, even an industrial grade outlet). The charging faster is just an added benefit. Couple that with a 30% federal tax credit available and the cost to install really is basically the same.
I can understand some aesthetics argument. However, in 2 years I use our 14-50 installed in the garage (for $225 including parts and installation) I haven't noticed any signs of deterioration (let alone, melting) of the outlet. When charging (at 32 A), the cable and everything are getting slightly warm, but nothing to worry about. So, please do not worry about using properly installed 14-50 outlets for charging.

2 1/2 years of charging every night on a 14-50. I would imagine if the 14-50 was not good for charging the electrician I paid a bunch of money to install it would have told me so?

2 1/2 years of charging every night on a 14-50. I would imagine if the 14-50 was not good for charging the electrician I paid a bunch of money to install it would have told me so?
A quality industrial grade 14-50 outlet can last 3-5 years for sure. Also depends on how much you’re charging every night. It’s not a bad option or anything it can be just more of a reliability question over time. I was merely providing information as to why the wall connector is not as expensive and a “bad deal“ as people think it is compared to a 14-50.

EV charging will melt the 14-50 outlet connectors after a few years, even an industrial grade outlet
I agree with most of your position, but this particular statement is complete and utter bull crap. Even a cheap but UL listed outlet will survive EV charging for 50+ years if installed correctly.
Don’t cheapen your argument by resorting to ridiculous untruths; it was strong enough without that.

I agree with most of your position, but this particular statement is complete and utter bull crap. Even a cheap but UL listed outlet will survive EV charging for 50+ years if installed correctly.
Don’t cheapen your argument by resorting to ridiculous untruths; it was strong enough without that.
Perhaps I used a bit of a hyperbole there so yes you are correct. But the risk still does exist with a residential grade 14-50 outlet from Home Depot as it is not designed nor engineered for EV charging and a constant 32 amp draw; that is just a fact. For a Hubbell industrial outlet it probably will last a long time so I was wrong with my wording.

But the risk still does exist with a residential grade 14-50 outlet from Home Depot as it is not designed nor engineered for EV charging and a constant 32 amp draw; that is just a fact.
Then we’ll just have to disagree, because I (and the various certification authorities that allowed their logos to be placed on the outlet) believe that “residential grade 14-50 outlet” is indeed designed and engineered for a constant 32 amp draw; indeed that it is designed and engineered for a full 50 amp constant draw.
Should you have documentation to the contrary, I’d love to see it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Then we’ll just have to disagree, because I (and the various certification authorities that allowed their logos to be placed on the outlet) believe that “residential grade 14-50 outlet” is indeed designed and engineered for a constant 32 amp draw; indeed that it is designed and engineered for a full 50 amp constant draw.
There are quite literally numerous threads on this forum and others regarding blown 14-50 outlets. Some blame bad installs and bad certified electricians but I find it hard to believe ALL these issues are simply bad installs and purely anecdotal. They have nothing to do with the $10 outlet that is made for washers and dryers and not EV? Sure I don’t have a TDS for you that says “NOT FOR EV CHARGING” but if you think a $10 made in China outlet from Home Depot is ok then fine by me; it’s a free country! :)

I saw enough melted Leviton 240V outlets used for EV charging to upgrade to a Hubbell. The Home Depot Leviton is like $3 and the quality difference is dramatic. I believe Tesla has heat sensors in their plugs though so it would be very unlikely to melt, but considering the plug is in my attached garage the peace of mind of having a quality outlet is worth it. You can find lots of horror stories just on these forums alone.

Reactions: Jeremy3292