Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector install ferrule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m installing a gen3 wall connector inside my garage with #6 stranded copper. I’m wondering if I should crimp a ferrule around the strands for a better connection? The ferrules I’ve seen appear to be tin? Does that cause problems as the installation specifically calls out using copper wire.

I’ve read than gen2 called out the use of ferrules but I also understand that gen2 allowed for much higher amperage.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

I’m installing a gen3 wall connector inside my garage with #6 stranded copper. I’m wondering if I should crimp a ferrule around the strands for a better connection? The ferrules I’ve seen appear to be tin? Does that cause problems as the installation specifically calls out using copper wire.

I’ve read than gen2 called out the use of ferrules but I also understand that gen2 allowed for much higher amperage.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.
I wish I had. Someday I may take it apart and add ferrules.

I install ferrules on my stranded wire for my wall connector or NEMA 14-50 receptacle for use with a mobile connector. Same reason as fholbert pointed out, it keeps all the wire strands from fanning out and getting damaged from tightening the lugs at the breaker or receptacle. Just make sure to tighten really good, then pull and wiggle each connection a little and torque down again.

Reactions: Beans4Me
I used 2awg, finely stranded DLO cable for my wall connectors. A ferrule is almost a requirement in this case. I used 150A rated, copper, insulated ferrules. Makes proper wire insertion into the lugs a cinch. The optional top entry backplate for my Gen 2 wall connectors came preinstalled from Tesla with ferrules.

Reactions: Beans4Me
Gen 2 wall connector manual specifically states "Ferrules are recommended." Gen 3 doesn't mention them, but I would use them none the less.

I have see 14-50's with terminals torqued to spec (stranded THHN, no ferrules) where individual strands are loose enough to be pulled out.

Last edited: