Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing wall connector questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a 6-20 outlet in my garage currently. I know it’s not the fastest and I’m okay with that. My question is:
1) can I hardwire using the existing wiring? I believe it’s 12g
Or
2) can I wire the wall connector to a 6-20 plug and just plug into the outlet?

See photos below for reference

Attachments

• 174B6289-F9DB-4A69-B20D-3C28D168D8BE.jpeg
    174B6289-F9DB-4A69-B20D-3C28D168D8BE.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C867A451-E19B-4FCD-B72C-7C4A84F6FD1C.jpeg
    C867A451-E19B-4FCD-B72C-7C4A84F6FD1C.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 15
1) Yes, just set the HPWC to the circuit breaker/wire capacity
2) No, not in accordance with the NEC. The HPWC was built to be hardwired, so adding a plug-in cord to it is not allowed. BTW, that circuit breaker should have been a GFCI to be used with a 6-20 and the UMC. Notably, the HPWC specifically does NOT want a GFCI breaker.

Agree with @Sophias_dad, if you choose not to install the wall connector and instead use a mobile connector, you will need to replace the breaker with a GFIC breaker as this is required by the electrical code. The exception would be if the circuit was run when the house was built, but since it is marked as “new” this seems unlikely.

Since a wire has been run, you might want to check with an electrician to see if they can pull through a heavier gauge wire, assuming you have capacity in the panel.

The OP didn’t say anything about a Mobile Connector. He’s asking about a Wall Connector.

Yes, option 1 will work fine. This looks like an awkward spot for a wall mount Wall Connector though since it seems to be behind some shelves.

If you haven’t already bought the Wall Connector, I’d just buy a Mobile Connector and use the 6-20 adapter. Personally, I wouldn’t bother replacing that breaker with a GFCi breaker. The only utility for such is that you don’t get zapped if you reach around the plug when unplugging it and accidentally touch the plug blades.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Only in states that had adopted the 2020 or newer edition of the NEC.

The 2017 code requires GFCI for all EVs; the 2020 code expanded the GFCI requirements further. Thus, except for six states, the requirement applies. But even if someone is in a State following an old version of the code, it is still best to follow the GFCI requirement as the code was updated for good reason.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The 2017 code requires GFCI for all EVs; the 2020 code expanded the GFCI requirements further. Thus, except for six states, the requirement applies. But even if someone is in a State following an old version of the code, it is still best to follow the GFCI requirement as the code was updated for good reason.
Can you point me to relative section in the 2017 version?

Can you point me to relative section in the 2017 version?
Almost all (maybe all?) of the whole section 625, which is about EV charging was added in the 2017 version. The section on GFCI requirement is 625.54.

Here is a link to a document that is listing all of the additions that were made to NEC 2017 version, and on page 27 it lists that section 625.54 was created new for the 2017 update. Here's the link:

And here is the text of 625.54:

"All single phase receptacles installed for the connection of electric
vehicle charging that are rated 150 volts to ground or less and 50
amps or less shall have Ground-Fault Circuit-Protection For
Personnel"

• Helpful
Reactions: zroger73 and ATPMSD
Hi, I have a 6-20 outlet in my garage currently. I know it’s not the fastest and I’m okay with that. My question is:
1) can I hardwire using the existing wiring? I believe it’s 12g
Or
2) can I wire the wall connector to a 6-20 plug and just plug into the outlet?

See photos below for reference
Hire a NJ licensed electrician, obtain a permit and inspection and apply for the $1500 utility rebate.
You'll sleep better and avoid burning down your house with your insurance company denying a claim for improper workmanship

None of this matters if the receptacle is existing equipment. (Which it seems to be) You can plug into ancient receptacles without GFCI and not be required to change anything, because you don't have to update your house to the latest codebook every time you get a new appliance.

This thread has gotten overly complicated for OP, all they need to do is get a 5-20 mobile connector adapter and call it a day. Or hardwire it, and call it a day. No changes required. No changes needed, they'll be safely charging for years to come.

Last edited:
None of this matters if the receptacle is existing equipment. (Which it seems to be) You can plug into ancient receptacles without GFCI and not be required to change anything, because you don't have to update your house to the latest codebook every time you get a new appliance.

This thread has gotten overly complicated for OP, all they need to do is get a 5-20 mobile connector adapter and call it a day. Or hardwire it, and call it a day. No changes required. No changes needed, they'll be safely charging for years to come.
6-20 you meant. But yes, I agree.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Yeah, even if it was installed the day before the current owner bought the house, it's existing.

I am not an inspector or an electrician, but it appears a home owner should always have a pre-purchase inspection preformed as they are liable for anything in the house that is not up to code at the time the house was built, and for any change(s) made as those need to be up to code at the time the change was made.

For example, this problem seems to be a big issue for people who buy a house with a deck that was not built to code as the new owner later gets cited. Yeah, a 6-20 is a far cry from a deck.