Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector installation for a "pre-wired" townhome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I am pretty newbie to electrician things and want to know if anyone know the general quote for installation of Wall Connector to a "Pre-wired" newer townhome. I have 3 capped wires in a gang box if that helps. Want to know the general reasonable rate in case anyone in the same boat who has done it before.

Hi guys, I am pretty newbie to electrician things and want to know if anyone know the general quote for installation of Wall Connector to a "Pre-wired" newer townhome. I have 3 capped wires in a gang box if that helps. Want to know the general reasonable rate in case anyone in the same boat who has done it before.
Friend price; a six pack.

Reactions: jmaddr and ucmndd
Pictures would be helpful.

- Do you intend to locate the wall charger exactly where the existing “gang box” with wire is.
- Is the wire installed at the electrical panel, with appropriate breaker installed? Look for a 2 pole breaker labeled “EV charger”
- Is the wire correct?

If it’s truly ready to go then electrician/friend will have an easy job. Less than 2 hours labor.

Things that will add labor cost:
- Mounting the charger somewhere else; may need more wire and more labor.
- Wire not installed at panel
- Breaker not installed at panel

Cheers

Pictures would be helpful.

- Do you intend to locate the wall charger exactly where the existing “gang box” with wire is.
- Is the wire installed at the electrical panel, with appropriate breaker installed? Look for a 2 pole breaker labeled “EV charger”
- Is the wire correct?

If it’s truly ready to go then electrician/friend will have an easy job. Less than 2 hours labor.

Things that will add labor cost:
- Mounting the charger somewhere else; may need more wire and more labor.
- Wire not installed at panel
- Breaker not installed at panel

Cheers
I uploaded pictures. Both of the breaker switches were labeled for car charger, both of them are 40 amps each so it is 80 amps together? (also newbie, pardon me)

Attachments

• 413CD89C-2917-4E72-9922-872C7BB749B4_1_201_a.jpg
    413CD89C-2917-4E72-9922-872C7BB749B4_1_201_a.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 22E89798-ED93-4BB4-AC1F-D251E451BD21.jpg
    22E89798-ED93-4BB4-AC1F-D251E451BD21.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 153
If the wire is #8 romex you have a 40 amp circuit max, if it is #6 romex you can go to 50 amps.

Since the wiring includes a neutral you can use a 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector.
  • If you have to stick with a 40 amp circuit be sure to label the oulet as 40 amps.
  • You will want a commercial grade outlet, $50-80
  • You will need to replace the circuit breaker with a GFCI breaker, $100-150
  • You will have to buy the Tesla 14-50 adapter, $45
  • Your charge rate will be 32 amps irrespective of the whether you use a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit, the mobile connector is limited to a charge rate of 32 amps
  • The cost for the outlet, GFIC breaker, adapter and some sort of cable management system will be about $225-300, plus installation if you hire it out.
You can also install the wall connector
  • If you go with a 40 amp circuit your charge rate will be 32 amps, if you can go with a 50 amp circuit you will get a charge rate of 40 amps
  • You get to keep the mobile connector in the car so it is not forgotten when needed!
  • The wall connector is $495 (plus installation) and you can keep the breaker you have, If you are able to go with a 50 amp circuit a new breaker will run you about $10.

If the wire is #8 romex you have a 40 amp circuit max, if it is #6 romex you can go to 50 amps.

Since the wiring includes a neutral you can use a 14-50 outlet and use the mobile connector.
  • If you have to stick with a 40 amp circuit be sure to label the oulet as 40 amps.
  • You will want a commercial grade outlet, $50-80
  • You will need to replace the circuit breaker with a GFCI breaker, $100-150
  • You will have to buy the Tesla 14-50 adapter, $45
  • Your charge rate will be 32 amps irrespective of the whether you use a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit, the mobile connector is limited to a charge rate of 32 amps
  • The cost for the outlet, GFIC breaker, adapter and some sort of cable management system will be about $225-300, plus installation if you hire it out.
You can also install the wall connector
  • If you go with a 40 amp circuit your charge rate will be 32 amps, if you can go with a 50 amp circuit you will get a charge rate of 40 amps
  • You get to keep the mobile connector in the car so it is not forgotten when needed!
  • The wall connector is $495 (plus installation) and you can keep the breaker you have, If you are able to go with a 50 amp circuit a new breaker will run you about $10.
Thank you so much! I am likely going with the wall connector and curious if you know what the hour or likely cost of labor would be for my set up: if I am keeping the location of the outlet and plus or minus having a GFCI breaker already (my other receptacles in the garage said GFCI breaker, not sure if that means anything).

Thank you so much! I am likely going with the wall connector and curious if you know what the hour or likely cost of labor would be for my set up: if I am keeping the location of the outlet and plus or minus having a GFCI breaker already (my other receptacles in the garage said GFCI breaker, not sure if that means anything).
If you are decided, getting the Wall Connector you won't need a GFCI circuit breaker or a receptacle. The Wall Connector is wired into the junction box. You should get several quotes from local electricians and select one.

The receptacles in your home/garage that have GFCI labels are separate from the circuit for the Wall Connector. GFCI receptacles are now required for new construction in many places in the home where previously a standard receptacle could be used. These GFCI receptacles are typically found on 120V, 15 amp and 20 amp circuits.

Last edited:
the hour or likely cost of labor
Since it is just mounting the wall connector and completing the electrical connection, it should not be much. There is a wide variation in cost throughout the country, but…

HomeAdvisor: “Electricians usually charge between $50 and $100 per hour. Most homeowners pay a total cost between $162 and $521 for an electrician to visit their home and complete electrical repairs. Both hourly and project rates vary depending on the type of project, license and experience of the service provider.”

Follow the advise offered by @jcanoe, get multiple quotes.

Reactions: ibuprofen
Its certainly hard to say and compare from my keyboard here at home, but those wire sheath diameters look similar to my 6AWG NM-B wiring going to my 14-50 outlet, so it could very well be a downrated circuit.
Yep, hard to tell from a internet picture. I was going off my assumption that the majority of contractors are not gonna spend more on wire then they have too on a new construction build.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Your profile indicates that you live in Santa Clara. If your electrician is charging less than $125/man/hour there you are probably talking to the wrong one. I agree that you should get several quotes or estimates. If you supply a HPWC a pre-wired installation like that should take 1-2 hours which is probably going to be the site-visit minimum for an electrician which I would expect to be no less than $400 in the bay area. That would put your total cost at about $1,000 which seems very reasonable (for CA). I would consider the HPWC route to be a better and more flexible use of funds than the receptacle / GFCI breaker / mobile charger route.

When reviewing the quotes / estimates / proposals I would personally not be looking at the price, but instead evaluating punctuality, professionalism, experience and interest level. These are things you would need to observe at the time of site visit. The proposal is really a formality if you are deciding on who is best qualified. Frankly it's such a quick job that if you have the HPWC ready and you like the electrician I would just ask if he could do it on the spot and pay cash.