Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector keeps tripping breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it’s not dangerous that the fuse box is there, right? Seems overkill, but I’m good with it as long as it’s not hurting my charging (I get 43mile/hr) and it’s not blowing fuses all the time (happens maybe once a year).
No, not dangerous at all, and won't affect your charging. Actually, rereading the thread, I'd still check the fuse temperatures after a half hour of charging to see if they are unusually hot. If they are, you might want to improve the connection that is causing them to get hot. It sounds like the fuse is blowing before reaching burn-down-the-house temperatures anyway.

But it’s not dangerous that the fuse box is there, right? Seems overkill, but I’m good with it as long as it’s not hurting my charging (I get 43mile/hr) and it’s not blowing fuses all the time (happens maybe once a year).
I’d keep it. No additional risk. Just check fir heat like Sophia’s dad recommended. And use regular fuses next time. None of the fancy time fuses.

Finally got my wall connector up and running on Saturday. It’s connected to a 240v 60 amp circuit. I tried charging at the full 48 amps but my breaker kept tripping. I managed to get a stable charge without tripping the breaker by setting my Model 3 to only draw 38 amps. If I even bump it up to 40 amps it will eventually trip the breaker after about 10 minutes of charging or so. I’ve confirmed that the dial setting inside the wall connector is currently at “9” which according to the install manual should be for when it’s connected to a 60 amp breaker and should allow for charging at up to 48 amps.

Anyone else experience something like this? I’m wondering if maybe the breaker is bad. The House was upgraded from 100 to 200 amp and I’ve got a whole new breaker panel with all new breakers. Luckily my electrician is coming back again later this week to finish up some other work so if it’s some issue with the breaker itself he should be able to resolve it.
Had the exact same issue!! Was only able to draw down 30A on a 60A circuit. Anything over and breaker would trip. After spending much time on this with Tesla and electrician, turned out the breaker was faulty! Simple switch on the circuit to a new 60A solved the problem. Now able to charge to the max 48!

Reactions: brkaus
I have been charging 2-3 cars for six years and have had lots of issues with a 200A sub panel breaker. I’ve replaced two of them and now I keep my charging below 60A at any time. At 80A my wiring gets warm (not hot). I suspect the high rate of charge breaks down cheap breakers over time. I’ve had a few electricians look at it and I’ve got load monitoring on the house and Sub panels, so I know I’m not drawing anywhere near 200A when they trip. If I put in a fresh breaker I can charge in the 80A+ for a while, but eventually the breaker goes bad. I suspected a bad connection at the block, but my electrician just says there are a lot of crap breakers on the market not designed for sustained draw.
This seems to be what I am dealing with now. Been charging for 3 years and now all of a sudden my 100amp sub-panel breaker is tripping and getting warm; but nothing in the actual sub-panel itself is tripping or running warm.

Going to check connections but most likely replace the 16yr old breaker.

This seems to be what I am dealing with now. Been charging for 3 years and now all of a sudden my 100amp sub-panel breaker is tripping and getting warm; but nothing in the actual sub-panel itself is tripping or running warm.

I would start with checking that the wire connector on that breaker is tight. But replacing the breaker will likely be necessary after it’s tripped on its own a handful of times. But I’d also put a meter in it and see how many amps the subpanel is pulling.

Also look for any discoloration on the panel bus bar. My folks had a panel explode. One stab melted and dripped on the next one is out guess. Left a giant hole in the panel and bus bars.

(Assuming all the wires are tight, and nothing is overheating.)

I think you saying that it is the 100 amp breaker that feeds the sub panel is what is tripping.

If so, what are all the loads on the sub panel? Unless there is a new significant load on the sub panel, or an existing large load that you were not using, but now are, it sounds like the breaker may be bad.

If you have a clamp on amp meter, you can check to see what the load is on the panel with everything that would normally be on and if the breaker is tripping with the load under 100 amps, then the breaker would definitely be defective.

Reactions: wegortw