Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector troubleshooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Wall Connector
There is no green bar light on my wall connector (purchased June 2021) for $500.
I cannot find the setup instructions in my paperwork.
Resetting the paired switch on my circuit breaker has no effect -- no lights at all from wall connector - blue or green.
The handle of the charging cable seems "dead" No lights Holding down button for 10 plus seconds has no noticeable effect on wall connector.
My network (with arp -a) does not see the MAC address of the wall connector.
TeslaFi shows my last charge happened yesterday afternoon, which is strange because I have set the schedule for 1 AM charges.

Without any wise words from the group, my next step would be to call the electrician who installed the wall charger to have him confirm it's still getting the 220v. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

It probably isn't getting any power. Bad breaker or bad connection is my bet.
Is the Tesla wall connector (charger) hard wired in or plugged into wall socket? Sometimes a breaker looks like it is not tripped. Turn the breaker to the off position. When you turn this to the on position you should hear a click sound. From what you have discribed above, it sounds like it's not getting power or the control board has failed.

I blew out the breaker. The wall connector/charger is hard wired. The electrician who installed it came this afternoon and replaced the one blown breaker switch and we're discussing upgrading or my electrical panel. Teslafi reports my last charging session was Monday about 4 PM. I always schedule for 1 AM (but not every day). Somehow I messed up the charging schedule and overloaded things at 4 PM. I also discovered I'd set the charger amperage (in the car's Charging screen) to 48 amps rather than 32. The breaker did its job, sort of. Thanks to you all for your help.

I blew out the breaker. The wall connector/charger is hard wired. The electrician who installed it came this afternoon and replaced the one blown breaker switch and we're discussing upgrading or my electrical panel. Teslafi reports my last charging session was Monday about 4 PM. I always schedule for 1 AM (but not every day). Somehow I messed up the charging schedule and overloaded things at 4 PM. I also discovered I'd set the charger amperage (in the car's Charging screen) to 48 amps rather than 32. The breaker did its job, sort of. Thanks to you all for your help.
This doesn't make sense. If the wall connector was properly commissioned you shouldn't have been able to set the car to something higher than the breaker/wire could handle. If a breaker were to trip due to panel overload, it should be the main breaker, not the one just for the HPWC.

What rating is your breaker?

I also discovered I'd set the charger amperage (in the car's Charging screen) to 48 amps rather than 32. The breaker did its job, sort of.
I think you are misinterpreting what you are seeing. I saw another thread where someone thought their car had jumped up to 72A and CAUSED the breaker to trip, similar to your statements. What happens is that the breaker trips for some reason, and then that makes the charging connection disconnected. So when the car is not plugged in like that, the display just reverts back to the default, which is simply showing the maximum capability of the onboard charger. So it trips first, and then the display switches to show a number that wasn't being used.

Did the internals to the circuit breaker fail, or did the wired connection to the breaker fail. If it was the connection to the buss bars, In this case I would replace the breaker panel. If replacing the breaker panel you may want to consider upgrading amperage. Most older homes pre 1980s likely will only have only 100 amp service. Upgrade may require new meter socket. Larger feader wires to be installed. The power company should know what current (Amps) the feeder wires are rated for. 100 amp, 125 amp, 150 amp, 200 amp, and 225 amp panels are available. 100 and 200 amp are easily available. Upgrading the breaker panel your self is not a DIY project!!!
Circuit breakers should be cycle once a year. Opening and closing the contacts helps clean the contacts. Remove the load off of the circuit. Switch the breaker off. Then wait a few seconds then switch it back on. If a breaker does not latch on. This would be an indication the breaker should be replaced.

Note: When installing a charging station insist on using copper wire. Also the max current the Tesla can charge at has to be 80% or less than the breaker for that charging station. Example: A 50 amp breaker max current would be 40 amps. Anything higher than 80% would indicate the wall connector current settings is set too high.

Reactions: keyth and Rocky_H