Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wall connector with long cord on back order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model Y on order, and want to prepare for set up. Both black and silver wall connectors with long cord are on back order. Anybody have any idea when this might clear?
Thanks,
JK

The HPWCs do tend to go in and out of stock often. In my experience, they don't stay out of stock for very long. I would think a couple of weeks at most. Certainly will be back long before your Y arrives!

What happened to the Wall Connector with 14-50 plug they launched early in 2019? The link now returns 404 error (https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector-with-14-50-plug)

My electrician asked if my HPWC was hard wired or had the 14-50 plug. Apparently the 14-50 version sometimes triggered the GFCI on the 14-50 plug, which led to battles between the owner, Tesla, and the electrician (who was just following code). Mine is hard wired, but if it had a plug, the electrician was going to need a signature that they wouldn’t be held responsible for GFCI triggering.

Is there any reason to wait to buy a HPWC? I got my wiring set up and blocked off. Not sure I see a point to buying it now and installing it when the car may not come home for another 8 months or longer.

If you read this thread you can see they go in and out of stock. I had to wait for 5 months to get mine. I really was terrible to charge my X at 2-3 MPH off 120V for 3 months. Finally I could not take it any longer and had a NEMA 14-50 installed (ran $125). Then when the HPWC showed up, I had to have then run a line, patch the wallboard, paint, and install the HPWC. That took over a month.

So my advice is anything that can go wrong will go wrong with your HPWC installation. Get it done sooner rather than later. You are not the only new Tesla owner waiting to order an HPWC. There will be a rush for them when the Y starts shipping. And if you want you can leave it in the box and sell it to another new Y owner that is more desperate (for a profit!).

Is there any reason to wait to buy a HPWC? I got my wiring set up and blocked off. Not sure I see a point to buying it now and installing it when the car may not come home for another 8 months or longer.

Unless you need the faster 48A (60A circuit breaker) charging, consider installing a more universal 40/50A NEMA 14-50 plug. A Tesla EV will come with a mobile charger rated for up to 32A. You can get an appropriate adapter for $35 each.

I understand the pros and cons of the HPWC vs tesla MC. I have my wiring already installed in my parking spot for a HPWC. I'm asking does it make sense to order it now and have it on hand...or just wait? Maybe they will come out with a new version?

So, there is an issue with using a HPWC with a plug/cord on it? I have a 6-50 receptacle in my garage that I have my TIG welder plugged into, but I’d also like to plug in the HPWC into that receptacle most of the time since the welder doesn’t get used all the time.

I was thinking of using a few feet of 6/4 input power cable with a nice Hubbell 6-50 plug on it, wired into the HPWC. That way, I can unplug the HPWC, and plug the welder in if I need to use it. This should work? If not, I have 100amp service in my garage, I can just run a designated line to the HPWC, and add a 60amp breaker in my panel.