Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall mount charger- power on or off when not in use.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you plan on charging your car regularly, flipping your breaker on and off would just be an additional task, and common sense tells me it would wear the breaker switch out quite easily (but I can't say if that's true. But, think about how many times you actually turn a breaker on and off! Rare for me unless something trips). I personally keep my breaker on all the time, and keep my mobile connector plugged into the NEMA outlet at all times, even when my car is not charging.

Reactions: everydaychris
Upvote 0
If you plan on charging your car regularly, flipping your breaker on and off would just be an additional task, and common sense tells me it would wear the breaker switch out quite easily (but I can't say if that's true. But, think about how many times you actually turn a breaker on and off! Rare for me unless something trips). I personally keep my breaker on all the time, and keep my mobile connector plugged into the NEMA outlet at all times, even when my car is not charging.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
I would agree that breakers are not meant to be used as switches on a regular basis.

My neighbor doesn't have a Tesla but has a gen2 wall connector installed for when family visit. He leaves the breaker in the off position except when they are here which is just a handful of times a year. His gen2 doesn't have wifi so no need for regular connectivity. His breaker has held up fine for 4 years but we aren't talking about frequent switching in this case.

Upvote 0
I have the same question.
I only charge my car once a week.
I am not too worry about the firmware updates either.
I don't want the extra hassle to go to the basement for turn on/off breaker once a week.

I thought to add an additional switch in my garage, but my electrician recommend not to do it and have a direct connection.

It would be nice if they have on/off switch on the WC or to put WC on deep sleep when not needed.

Upvote 0
In my case the breaker is close to my WC I plan to charge once a week as don’t drive a lot. But I can see the breakers are no meant to be used a regular switch. Just thought I can off and on when need but didn’t realize about firmware, not sure how often they come by.

Upvote 0
A circuit breaker is not intended to be used as a power switch, it’s a safety device.

If you’re concerned about power being at the end of the cable when it’s not plugged into the vehicle, you shouldn’t be. If there was power to the end of the cable when it’s not plugged into the vehicle, that would be extremely unsafe and I don’t think Tesla would be allowed to sell it if it functioned that way.

Lsten to your wall charger, you’ll hear a click come from it shortly after plugging in. Im no Tesla wall charger expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I was an electronics tech for the Navy for several years and I bet that click is a relay in the charger that is actually applying power to charge the vehicle - that is effectively the “power switch” and Tesla is engaging it for you.

Upvote 0
A circuit breaker is not intended to be used as a power switch, it’s a safety device.

If you’re concerned about power being at the end of the cable when it’s not plugged into the vehicle, you shouldn’t be. If there was power to the end of the cable when it’s not plugged into the vehicle, that would be extremely unsafe and I don’t think Tesla would be allowed to sell it if it functioned that way.

Lsten to your wall charger, you’ll hear a click come from it shortly after plugging in. Im no Tesla wall charger expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I was an electronics tech for the Navy for several years and I bet that click is a relay in the charger that is actually applying power to charge the vehicle - that is effectively the “power switch” and Tesla is engaging it for you.
Good to know. Thanks for that info!

Upvote 0
Question is why? Unless your charger is outside and someone else might use it I can't imagine without charging they draw that much power.

Found this seems draws about 3w, not much.

Upvote 0
Turning off the circuit breaker when an appliance is not in use has several benefits, including:

Energy savings: Turning off the circuit breaker can lower the amount of phantom power used, reducing energy costs
Environmental impact: Turning off appliances when not in use is good for the environment, as it reduces your carbon footprint
Protection from surges: Turning off an appliance and unplugging it defends against electrical surges, which can damage your plugged appliances
https://portablepowerguides.com/turn-off-appliances-when-not-in-use/
However, it is important to note that turning off the circuit breaker every time you leave your house is not recommended, as it may reduce the lifespan of the breaker and cause a short but significant electrical surge when you turn it on, which could damage your plugged appliances
Instead, you can unplug all your appliances or choose Energy Star appliances that consume up to 50% less power than devices without this certification
If you are leaving for an extended period, it is not a good idea to turn off the circuit breaker, as it can damage essential appliances like your sump pump and affect your home's maintenance and safety

I would turn off, until the car is here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just wanted to bring this post back up to ask a question about it. I just had my wall charger installed today but I do not receive my Tesla for another 2-3 weeks, I have already updated the firmware today so should i just hit the breaker off until I actually receive my car?
Once you've confirmed that it's working properly, then it's okay to turn it off until you need it. It does use a small amount of energy staying on even when not charging an EV. I wish there is an easy way to turnoff household stuffs completely like the British electrical outlet.

Upvote 0
While not mentioned here, if you have more than one Wall Connector in a sharing setup, the sharing will not function properly if one of them is powered down. It will default to a "fail safe" situation and only allow power to the remaining equal to the total divided by the number of wall connectors configured to be sharing. (So, if you have 48A to share across 4 wall connectors, and you power down one you will only be able to get 12A out of each of the remaining three even if only one is in use.)

Upvote 0