Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wallbox or Juicebox?

Which “free” wall charger should I get?

• Wallbox 48

• Wallbox 40

• Juicebox 40

• Juicebox 32

• Why even do this? Buy a Tesla version!

• Buy a few hundred lightbulbs instead…

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw that I have enough credits via my electric supplier to purchase a wall charger through their “reward store.” The options are generally limited to the Wallbox 48 or 40 and the Juicebox 40 or 32. The difference in credits here is nominal as they are all within 10% so wanted to pose the question to those here!

Post on differences between Juicebox and Wallbox: Wallbox vs Juicebox: Which Home EV Charger Should You Choose? - WattLogic

Hardwired is appealing from an installation standpoint since you'll only need 3 conductors (2 hot + ground) vs a plug in which will technically need 4 (2 hot + neutral + ground) even though the neutral won't be used. Wire is expensive.

Tesla wall connectors are some of the better EVSEs out there, but if these are free, you are either planning for a second EVSE on the same circuit (Tesla can daisy chain / load share) or you really hate having to use a J1772 adapter at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
A little late here - but Juicebox/Enel recently had a horrendous app update. The new app makes the juicebox 40 a pain in the ass to use or get data from. I recommend avoiding until they work the kinks out (if ever). The old app and web portal was working fine, so we're not sure why they decided to release a broken app.

You can see the reviews here: ‎Enel X Way

A little late here - but Juicebox/Enel recently had a horrendous app update. The new app makes the juicebox 40 a pain in the ass to use or get data from. I recommend avoiding until they work the kinks out (if ever). The old app and web portal was working fine, so we're not sure why they decided to release a broken app.

You can see the reviews here: ‎Enel X Way
I've got an old Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet board installed. (These were sold for a while before the JuiceBox got UL approvals.) A while ago, I believe a bit after Enel-X bought the original company that made the JuiceBox, they changed the hostname that the device must call in to, which shut off my EVSE's ability to "phone home" with its data. Tech support gave me instructions on how to update it, but I've had to re-apply that fix every couple of months because the thing keeps resetting itself to its factory default for this setting. (Not for everything, thankfully.)

I received a notice about the new app, but given my previous experiences, I'm sticking with the old one until it dies completely. After that, I'm seriously considering just using the EVSE as a "dumb" model and ignoring its networking features. They're a nice bonus when they work, but they're becoming too much of a pain to maintain. I can get almost all the data, and set equivalent controls for charging time and whatnot, using my Tesla rather than the EVSE, so the value of those features is minimal. (That said, in some markets the Enel-X software can coordinate with the electric utility to control charging times to optimize grid demand. That's not true where I live, though.)

I’ve had my Wallbox 40amp since 2021 when I purchased my very first Tesla. The only reason we did Wallbox instead of a Tesla Wall Connector was because of the future EVs that may be available. Well fast forward to 2023 and we now have 3 Teslas in the garage. So we will be looking into a TWC soon. But the Wallbox is amazing at charging and I’ve had absolutely no issues with it.

I’ve had my Wallbox 40amp since 2021 when I purchased my very first Tesla. The only reason we did Wallbox instead of a Tesla Wall Connector was because of the future EVs that may be available. Well fast forward to 2023 and we now have 3 Teslas in the garage. So we will be looking into a TWC soon. But the Wallbox is amazing at charging and I’ve had absolutely no issues with it.
Nice!

I recently added my second Tesla and I was looking for a dual charging setup and ran across this unit that has two charging cables in one: Grizzl-E Duo – GRIZZL-E (can be configured with Tesla connectors) - not sure if you've seen it, but could save you some $ on conduit, at the least.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Nice!

I recently added my second Tesla and I was looking for a dual charging setup and ran across this unit that has two charging cables in one: Grizzl-E Duo – GRIZZL-E (can be configured with Tesla connectors) - not sure if you've seen it, but could save you some $ on conduit, at the least.
I have seen them. However I don’t think it’s something we need at this time. 2 of the Teslas only get driven in the warmer months and one is the winter car. So I’m not charging all of them at the same time. Thankfully we planned ahead and put the Wallbox in a location that can charge the cars in 2 different spots. The box is only 7 ft from our panel box in the garage so wire/conduit pricing isn’t an issue.

Reactions: tdiggity
Do you have a reference for the Grizzl-E being available with Tesla connectors? I checked their Web page and couldn't find anything about this. The closest was that their holster was available in both J1772 and Tesla variants, presumably so that you could holster their J1772 plug when it's mated to Tesla's J1772-to-Tesla adapter. In fact, the selector for this holster option explicitly states that "Tesla Vehicles require the use of a Tesla to J1772 adapter." I'd love to be mistaken about this, but it looks like they sell only J1772 EVSEs.

That said, IMHO a J1772 EVSE is fine for use with a Tesla. I use one myself. (I bought it when I drove a Chevy Volt.) I have a J1772 adapter "permanently" attached. (It's not glued in place or anything; I just never remove it.)

Do you have a reference for the Grizzl-E being available with Tesla connectors? I checked their Web page and couldn't find anything about this. The closest was that their holster was available in both J1772 and Tesla variants, presumably so that you could holster their J1772 plug when it's mated to Tesla's J1772-to-Tesla adapter. In fact, the selector for this holster option explicitly states that "Tesla Vehicles require the use of a Tesla to J1772 adapter." I'd love to be mistaken about this, but it looks like they sell only J1772 EVSEs.

That said, IMHO a J1772 EVSE is fine for use with a Tesla. I use one myself. (I bought it when I drove a Chevy Volt.) I have a J1772 adapter "permanently" attached. (It's not glued in place or anything; I just never remove it.)
Good catch, I saw you could select plug types and thought it would come that way, but it’s just holsters. 😞