Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle to Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: pow216 and CWT3LR
Warranty's will have to change if and when this arrives. no point having a mileage based warranty if you can put cycles on the battery while standing still
It's a time or mileage warranty, so fundamentally doesn't change. I think a question would be whether the Home use accelerates the time element which I kinda doubt really, people are unlikely to be able to reach a point where they are cycling the battery many times a day than the top 5% of drivers.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Hopefully V2H will be widely available by the time I’m next looking to change my car, I could certainly use the extra battery capacity over the home batteries to run the heat pump during cold spells. I might consider an older
ear as a second car if the charger was a sensible price, but would want the CCS version if changing the main car.

Not 3 Phase, or on a type 2 or CCS connector.

Do you know of any other wall chargers that do V2H on Type 2 or CCS?...

The CCS standard doesn't currently support V2x.

There is a new standard coming for V2G called ISO15118 and many of the current newest chargers are planning to add it as a software update, for example here on the EO Mini Pro 3 - EO Mini Pro 3 | Electric Car Charging at Home | EO Charging

The difference is that the car will supply AC from the car to the house via the regular Type 2 cable, so the EVSE can be fairly simple.

From what I read the CCS standard for V2x that they are working on has the vehicle provide access to the HV DC battery, and the EVSE/Charger/Inverter has to handle the conversion to/from AC. (Which is what Enphase says they are working on and will have available sometime next year: https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ringi
@Jason71 nailed it. Tesla has Powerwalls to sell. Tesla will fight V2H as long as they can. It will take govt regulation or customers buying other vehicles and telling them that V2H is the reason for them to change.
Customers should definitely buy other cars if they want this. I can’t see a retrospective government requirement. For new car models perhaps but that seems a stretch as well. I didn’t know Tesla was so unique in being without V2H.

if my wfh sticks, and V2H gets popular/common - then if Tesla doesn’t support it I’m likely looking elsewhere if other similar options do. If home use is relatively low vs car battery size so health isn’t a major concern then it seems a no brainer. I’m planning to get a 9.5kwh battery soon but that’ll be for house baseload. If I move my heating, hot water and cooking to electric I’ll need a much bigger battery to load shift that probably doesn’t make sense

Reactions: ringi
@Jason71 nailed it. Tesla has Powerwalls to sell. Tesla will fight V2H as long as they can. It will take govt regulation or customers buying other vehicles and telling them that V2H is the reason for them to change.

I’d believe this if they actually shipped reasonable numbers. Is it just the UK/Europe where there are 12 month waiting lists? Seems almost a side hustle and not something they’d base significant decisions on

It's a time or mileage warranty, so fundamentally doesn't change. I think a question would be whether the Home use accelerates the time element which I kinda doubt really, people are unlikely to be able to reach a point where they are cycling the battery many times a day than the top 5% of drivers.
The issue is that vehicle milage degrades the battery by total kWh energy throughput in and out of the cells. Using the battery for V2G, V2H, etc is equivelent to milage on the vehicle as far as the battery cells are concerned. I think an easy solution is to link the waranty to total kWh throuput instead of milage, and provide a readout next to the vehicle odometer.

Another solution would be longer life batteries, like the “million mile battery” and “century battery” designs that Jeff Dahn’s (Tesla) battery research group is working on. Customers would love a 25 year battery (B5 design life) with 15 year unlimited mileage and kWh throughput warranty. That could accelerate EV purchases by economizers and late adopters.

GSP

Did you not get yourself a particle accelerator on Amazon Prime Day this year? They had 40% off.

The issue is that vehicle milage degrades the battery by total kWh energy throughput in and out of the cells. Using the battery for V2G, V2H, etc is equivelent to milage on the vehicle as far as the battery cells are concerned. I think an easy solution is to link the waranty to total kWh throuput instead of milage, and provide a readout next to the vehicle odometer.

Another solution would be longer life batteries, like the “million mile battery” and “century battery” designs that Jeff Dahn’s (Tesla) battery research group is working on. Customers would love a 25 year battery (B5 design life) with 15 year unlimited mileage and kWh throughput warranty. That could accelerate EV purchases by economizers and late adopters.

GSP
Which I