Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle to Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
You guys are knowledgeable, and I just wondered if you'd heard anything on the grapevine.

I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance which has no features like Vehicle to Load (V2L), Vehicle to Home (V2H), or Vehicle to Grid (V2G).

Tesla seem to point you towards Powerwalls, which is fair enough, and we have two.

My Wife wanted an electric car and she liked the Skoda Enyaq VRS Coupe iV80 which we ordered this month.

Doing some research today, I discovered there is a new Skoda Software Update ME3.2 which allows for V2L and V2H using a compatible wall charger.

Wallbox Quasar 2 is a wall charger that supports V2H but only at 7kW on a CHAdeMO charging cable with connector...

Not 3 Phase, or on a type 2 or CCS connector.

Do you know of any other wall chargers that do V2H on Type 2 or CCS?...

... having access to 77 kWh useable storage from the Skoda at 7kW would be absolutely perfect to supplement the Powerwalls.

Just another note of interest...

The Skoda Enyaq VRS has a 3 Pin plug socket inside the cabin, from what I can tell (V2L)...

I wonder if you could plug in a Tesla Universal Mobile Charger... and emergency charge another car from it??

Just another note of interest...

The Skoda Enyaq VRS has a 3 Pin plug socket inside the cabin, from what I can tell (V2L)...

I wonder if you could plug in a Tesla Universal Mobile Charger... and emergency charge another car from it??

yes but very slowly - think its limited to 2.6/3kw - other cars with similar V2L have had reviews with people doing exactly that.

Reactions: PITA
There is a new standard coming for V2G called ISO15118 and many of the current newest chargers are planning to add it as a software update, for example here on the EO Mini Pro 3 - EO Mini Pro 3 | Electric Car Charging at Home | EO Charging

The difference is that the car will supply AC from the car to the house via the regular Type 2 cable, so the EVSE can be fairly simple. Existing solutions such as the Pulsar receive DC from a Chadmo cable (so only really work with a Nissan Leaf) and then act as an inverter which is rather more complex.

I don't really know what needs to happen before it all start appearing, as you observe various manufacturers have the capability in their cars already VW, Hyundai/Kia etc. Unless Tesla get onboard then that will be the end of my ownership, as you observe using the car battery is a huge benefit to many people, and to my mind is a large part of the solution to increasing renewable power in the grid.

Won't the car need additional hardware? I didn't think we had the ability to convert from DC to AC in a Tesla.

possibly. but can be rolled out to new car models while your charger remains unchanged?

I think I read that non-US Teslas may have the hardware for bi-directional charging but US ones don't? But considering how US-centric Tesla often appears to be, that may not help us (see also - matrix lights)

possibly. but can be rolled out to new car models while your charger remains unchanged?

And not just the charger. I would think it would currently be covered as Microgeneration (same as a battery, solar) and would require DNO approval (even if it would not be exporting) if connected to home and/or grid connection. A bit different if its directly supplying a load.

Reactions: GSP and cryo
Here's a good article on the subject:

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Won't the car need additional hardware? I didn't think we had the ability to convert from DC to AC in a Tesla.
Yes, there doesn't seem to be anything around to suggest that Tesla has the required components for V2G now, and from what they've said it's not seen as something that they are proposing. More than anything else this could well be what would take me to another manufacturer in a few years when I next replace.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be anything around to suggest that Tesla has the required components for V2G now, and from what they've said it's not seen as something that they are proposing. More than anything else this could well be what would take me to another manufacturer in a few years when I next replace.

I read this yesterday...

Claiming that...

Tesla Secretly Added Bi-Directional Charging to Model 3

According to a report by The Next Web, engineers from a rivaling company known as Electrek did a reverse engineering vehicle tear down where they found out the Tesla Model 3 is equipped with a charger controller, which is capable of taking on electricity as well as dishing it back.

This means that the car does not only get power from electricity, it can also give it back and charge other stuff.

"The design is fully bidirectional. This means power can be converted from AC to DC the same way as the previous example, but also power can flow in the reverse direction, coming from the battery and ending up on the AC side. This is known as DC to AC inverter, and when this technology is present in a vehicle, it is known as V2G (Vehicle to Grid)," the engineer told Electrek.

That's quite old.. it was disproven later as someone who is more expert on these things realised he'd misinterpreted the design.

That's quite old.. it was disproven later as someone who is more expert on these things realised he'd misinterpreted the design.

Yup, seems like it was complete nonsense when it was suggested, like so many things. The Tesla community is really good at amplifying anything that's seen as positive whatever the source. Lots of pinches of salt are required.

There is a new standard coming for V2G called ISO15118 and many of the current newest chargers are planning to add it as a software update, for example here on the EO Mini Pro 3 - EO Mini Pro 3 | Electric Car Charging at Home | EO Charging

The difference is that the car will supply AC from the car to the house via the regular Type 2 cable, so the EVSE can be fairly simple. Existing solutions such as the Pulsar receive DC from a Chadmo cable (so only really work with a Nissan Leaf) and then act as an inverter which is rather more complex.

I don't really know what needs to happen before it all start appearing, as you observe various manufacturers have the capability in their cars already VW, Hyundai/Kia etc. Unless Tesla get onboard then that will be the end of my ownership, as you observe using the car battery is a huge benefit to many people, and to my mind is a large part of the solution to increasing renewable power in the grid.
Known primarily now as the 'international' standard for Plug 'n Charge initiative. It's been around as standard for quite a few years (2014), so Tesla obv. had their own proprietary thing by that point and weren't waiting around for standard bodies.

Now that VW, Porsche etc are on board it's getting more traction, but still a way to go before all the bumps are smoothed out vis Electrify America woes.

Still good to see this standard is gaining more manufacturer support. We need more interoperability testing.