Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle to Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle to house is not the problem and could be as we have seen be implemented by just about any EV manufacturer in a very short time period. The big problem is the associated vehicle to grid because if you do not remove your household feed from the grid you effectively lose the local DNO the ability to say a system is disconnected/dead for maintenance work on the supply system or in a worse case scenario electrocute a maintenance worker working on the supposedly isolated/dead system. These things are always far more complex than originally thought and have to be planned around a worst case scenario to protect the supply system and its employees.

The vehicle to house is not the problem and could be as we have seen be implemented by just about any EV manufacturer in a very short time period. The big problem is the associated vehicle to grid because if you do not remove your household feed from the grid you effectively lose the local DNO the ability to say a system is disconnected/dead for maintenance work on the supply system or in a worse case scenario electrocute a maintenance worker working on the supposedly isolated/dead system. These things are always far more complex than originally thought and have to be planned around a worst case scenario to protect the supply system and its employees.
This is a situation that is already dealt with if you have solar panels. The inverter won’t work if the grid supply is dead. No reason why a similar system could not work for V2G. Additional complexity to cope with running.’off grid ‘ during power cuts though.

Reactions: ringi
It's time to bump this excellent thread. I haven't seen any serious rumours recently about progress for running the home from a vehicle (rumours since this is predominately a UK thread :D). It would be an excellent feature since a typical Tesla battery equals about 7 Powerwalls.

Another nice feature would be vehicle to vehicle charging. Range anxiety would almost disappear if you knew that with the proper cable ANY Tesla would be able to give you enough charge to get to a charging spot.

Last edited:
Another nice feature would be vehicle to vehicle charging. Range anxiety would almost disappear if you knew that with the proper cable ANY Tesla would be able to give you enough charge to get to a charging spot.
Who is seriously going to donate their electricity to help get you on your way? Especially if you've got yourself in a position where you were unable to reach a charger. You'd just be volunteering to give yourself range anxiety.

Generally called vehicle to load - getting quite common on some brads of EV. Plug anything in to car within power load availability - a car that I was closely looking at had iirc 3.6kW load. But very different to vehicle to home and what most people will end up with, vehicle to grid.

Reactions: ringi
So now we've got the Skoda (80kWh Enyaq VRS Coupe)... I found this in the cars menu, under bidirectional charging.

It appears Skoda will allow discharge for Vehicle to Home up to 10,000 kWh or 4,000 hours. Within the battery warranty.

So if we used say 1 MWh top up during Winter months, it'd give us 10 years worth of service.

20230707_220224.jpg

Just to add to this.

Say we trickle fed our Home Powerwalls at 2.5 kW each day to top up the batteries. We'd have 400 hours for each Winter = 1 MWh

An extra 'Powerwall Worth' would be 13.5kWh every day. So at 2.5kW the Skoda would be plugged in for 5.4 hours on the evening (say at 18:00 until 23:30)

400 hours worth = 74 days of an 'extra Powerwall worth' each day.

That'd easily get us through December / January / February each year for 10 years at cheap rate... and provide substantial 'Blackout Backup'

Last edited:
The CCS standard doesn't currently support V2x.

From what I read the CCS standard for V2x that they are working on has the vehicle provide access to the HV DC battery, and the EVSE/Charger/Inverter has to handle the conversion to/from AC. (Which is what Enphase says they are working on and will have available sometime next year: Enphase Bidirectional EV Charger | Enphase)
This news just in from EO:

Unfortunately, I am not able to confirm how the ISO15118 will work with the EO Mini Pro 3 until it has been released.

I am aware that any existing EO Mini Pro 3 will not be able to be upgraded to have the ISO15118 once it has been released as it will be a hardware upgrade.

So there goes that bright idea until the sweet bye and bye

Unfortunately, I am not able to confirm how the ISO15118 will work with the EO Mini Pro 3 until it has been released.
Yeah, it is hard to for them to confirm that when the spec isn't even finalized yet.

I am aware that any existing EO Mini Pro 3 will not be able to be upgraded to have the ISO15118 once it has been released as it will be a hardware upgrade.
Yeah, ISO15118 will likely require a CCS connctor for V2x, which it doesn't currently have. Though the site seems to say that you can upgrade it once the feature becomes available:
1691417468404.png