Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walt Disney World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

enzo

Sep 4, 2016
USA
Starting a new thread as the other one is in the Canada forum.

Having just returned from resort-hopping at WDW, a few remarks. I'll preface by saying it's been a difficult year for the parks, et cetera. However, the place is booming again and charging infrastructure remains a severe blind spot for Disney. Most resorts still lack charging stations. Of those with Chargepoint stations, they are occupied most of the time, and it's a common sight to see a few EVs in the nearby parking spaces "waiting in line". Lack of idle fees/rules compounds the problem. They are also poorly maintained, with Disney Springs Orange garage having 2/3 stations offline (PlugShare reveals it's been awhile). Not all stations are in the Chargepoint app.

There are superchargers nearby, but for those with young kids and tight schedules, it is a very undesirable option.

Several of the non-Disney resorts on site have Tesla destination chargers. In light of this, along with the recent explosion of 3/Ys and overall predominance of Tesla vehicles at Disney (which anyone could have predicted), it can only be seen as an active choice by Disney to avoid placing destination chargers. One assumes it is to avoid giving free power to Tesla owners; however, now that Tesla has enabled billing for destination chargers, it should be easy to keep things "fair".

At my resort, there were three Teslas parked in a row for several days. One suggested this was a "statistical anomaly" - perhaps to some degree, but I think it is more a harbinger. One even tried to plug in to the 120v outlet I was already using and, no surprise, tripped the breaker (not a good look when Tesla owners can't count their amps).

The queue for Test Track (ride sponsored by General Motors and refurbished 2012) has a video of kids describing their ideal futuristic vehicle: "it should have Autopilot, it should run off batteries..." - the ride is practically an advertisement for Tesla and makes GM look foolish. Likewise, Disney's overall theme of hopeful futurism is no doubt going to start looking stale unless they start to better anticipate the transition from ICE.

Reactions: theothertom
I thought it was great a few years ago when the Chargepoint chargers went in at Epcot and Disney Springs, and use them when I can, however with such a low number of them you have to get there early. I like going to Universal where they have a couple 15kw Tesla destination chargers, and they don't cost me anything, so I usually leave with a full charge. With all the solar Disney has put in over the past few years, they should be increasing the EV chargers at all of their hotels and parks, and they should be free. Limit them to 4kw each if you want, but there should be at least 20 at each location.

The issue isn't that they need Tesla-specific chargers, it's that they just need a whole heck of a lot more chargers or charging access period. Either Tesla destination chargers or Chargepoint or just simple outlets in parking lots for people to plug into. The whole idea of the WDW resort is that you go stay there and don't need to leave for anything, so reliable access to just a simple NEMA 5-15 outlet would cover a huge percentage of the usage case for a lot of guests.

Reactions: jrreno and LoL Rick
The issue is that there is plenty of charging around. You don't need to charge while at the park. Just charge a day earlier on the way to WDW, then stop at the Disney motel -- or any other motel . Since you're not going anywhere, you don't need to charge. Thinking you need to charge while your car is inactive is silly. Your car isn't going anywhere, so, enjoy the park, come back late, drive back to the motel (it's only 5 miles away, you know) and get some sleep. Total miles, just under 20. Even if you go out, you still have plenty of charge. I mean, with 300 miles of range, or 400, or 200, you won't run out of charge, and if you get low, there are plenty of chargers. I see two SCs in Orlando and seven more in the greater Orlando area.

The issue is that there is plenty of charging around. You don't need to charge while at the park. Just charge a day earlier on the way to WDW, then stop at the Disney motel -- or any other motel . Since you're not going anywhere, you don't need to charge. Thinking you need to charge while your car is inactive is silly. Your car isn't going anywhere, so, enjoy the park, come back late, drive back to the motel (it's only 5 miles away, you know) and get some sleep. Total miles, just under 20. Even if you go out, you still have plenty of charge. I mean, with 300 miles of range, or 400, or 200, you won't run out of charge, and if you get low, there are plenty of chargers. I see two SCs in Orlando and seven more in the greater Orlando area.
You are inappropriately generalizing your personal use case, which is a minimalistic version of a Disney trip. Not every day is spent at a park; not every car is 'inactive', not every car starts with a full charge, and it is not always easy to leave and supercharge when getting low. My own recent experience in a Y LR illustrates. After a 6 hour drive with multiple baby-related stops and one supercharge, we arrived with 22% and were not in a position to charge on arrival. We had a long and active vacation planned in advance down to the hour, putting on 64 miles just at Disney, of course with heavy air conditioning use, charging whenever we could. Charge level fluctuated in the range 8-30% even with one brief supercharge attempt (+6% net gain was the best we could do). This unfortunately precluded the use of sentry mode for most of the trip.

I don't think mine was an unusual case. They are already behind the curve, and Disney will need to add hundreds of chargers over the next 5 years if they plan to barely keep up.

Reactions: Mdsbrain and jrreno
On Friday I drove To Disney and arrived at animal kingdom with less than 10%. The ChargePoint app said a space was available but a Tesla was in the spot just not charging. I would have paid the outrageous price for the convenience of charging at Disney and to encourage them to offer more charging options. I think every hotel should have 4-10 and the theme parks at least 20. I get free supercharging but charging while parked is so convenient. Over the weekend I charged at the Wawa twice. I think Disney is missing a good opportunity. Whenever they ask about my stay I comment on needing more charging options.

Reactions: GoCanes and enzo
Disney gives nothing away for free. I agree they could have destination chargers that charge a fee. I was just there and rented an ICE, but I looked and only saw superchargers on HWY192 at WaWa and in Celebration. We stayed at Old key West and that resort is so large that they need several destination charge points.
Orange Lake Resort (it's hugh) on Hwy 192 needs to step up their game and install destination chargers even with WaWa being close by. Since there were far fewer Tesla's than here in Cali, I think that's one reason so few chargers. Most car rentals are ICE.

I do not want to charge at a theme park, it's MILES from where you are in the park to your car to move it when it's charged (or pay idle fees on top of the $25.00 to park).

On Friday I drove To Disney and arrived at animal kingdom with less than 10%. The ChargePoint app said a space was available but a Tesla was in the spot just not charging. I would have paid the outrageous price for the convenience of charging at Disney and to encourage them to offer more charging options. I think every hotel should have 4-10 and the theme parks at least 20. I get free supercharging but charging while parked is so convenient. Over the weekend I charged at the Wawa twice. I think Disney is missing a good opportunity. Whenever they ask about my stay I comment on needing more charging options.
I’ve had that happen once there and just parked on back side and plugged in. Blows my mind when I see that

Reactions: jrreno
So if I drive up for the day in September and coast into epcot or Hollywood studios on the last of my battery fumes, the odds of finding a charging space are slim? I really have gone from loving disney to hating disney. How can universal do everything right and disney mess it up so badly?? The supercharger near disney is a disaster. Way overcrowed and charging takes forever.

I have charged at Epcot and Animal Kingdom many times. I find you must arrive early, not mid day. There are two sets of Superchargers not far from Disney. One off 192 in Celebration, and one off 192 in the Wawa. I charge at both and rarely see them full, but I also haven't been there all summer so don't know what the crowds have been like. All of the resorts, including Disney, should start installing destination chargers.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I have charged at Epcot and Animal Kingdom many times. I find you must arrive early, not mid day. There are two sets of Superchargers not far from Disney. One off 192 in Celebration, and one off 192 in the Wawa. I charge at both and rarely see them full, but I also haven't been there all summer so don't know what the crowds have been like. All of the resorts, including Disney, should start installing destination chargers.
What is early? We would get there probably by 1030am at the latest. Going up for the ratatouie ride preview. Might get there earlier and normally would, but mother will be here night before. Superchargers aren't full, but you can never get a spot that isn't shared so charging takes forever. Wawa one I believe is out of my way.

What is early?
As or before the park opens. With Epcot it was within an hour of opening. Also, at close to 10% you could charge a long time as we only say 5-6 KwH charging so didn't have to worry about moving as we rarely stay at one park all day. Of course that would be different for people traveling in. I would see hybrid Chrysler Mini-van's, BMW's, Bolts, Volts, and others parked there as well as Tesla's. I am not sure how many are actually charging. I also don't know if these ChargePoint chargers have idle fees, but they should, plus a way to report someone parked without being plugged in.

Really curious which Supercharger you're referring to. There's 3 or 4 Superchargers within 15 minutes of Disney and I rarely see them full.
Well I know of two and one is out of the way for me. I've been to the celebration one twice and both times it was almost packed and certainly more than half full. As you know, you need to be the sole person on the supercharger or charging slows dramatically. We added a 1/2 hour each trip sitting at this supercharger so we could get to the fort drum supercharger where its not completely congested. Last time most of the superchargers were broken so theres that, but it wasn't full :)

Well I know of two and one is out of the way for me. I've been to the celebration one twice and both times it was almost packed and certainly more than half full. As you know, you need to be the sole person on the supercharger or charging slows dramatically. We added a 1/2 hour each trip sitting at this supercharger so we could get to the fort drum supercharger where its not completely congested. Last time most of the superchargers were broken so theres that, but it wasn't full :)
I have charged at 3 different superchargers near Disney. all pretty empty. First time we walked to a restaurant, I walked back to move the car before we had had our food.

Next trip was Christmas week 2019, we charged at the celebration charger twice. first time we enjoyed coffee at Panera. A week later we enjoyed milkshakes at 5 guys while charging.

In June, we charged at the WAWA supercharger, we walked to Krispy Kreme for donuts.

I do wish more Disney resorts had chargers even if they aren’t only Tesla like Wilderness lodge and Rivera.

Maybe a refresh on how to charge when traveling is due.

Ok, so I just found this thread. We have Model S Teslas since May of 2014 and we are annual passholders. It is very convenient for us to drive the 2 hours to Disney, plug in for the day and have enough charge to drive home without supercharging. I am happy to pay the $10-$18 to Charpoint for the privilege. It is now also impossible!
With the explosion of 3s and Ys and all the other plug in models there is no chance of getting a charger after 10am. In addition it appears that all the Chargepoints at Magic Kingdom have been vandalized to the point that when I did get a spot I had to get Chargepoint on the phone to activate the charger. I have never been able to get a spot at Hollywood Studios.Four charge points at each park is a cruel joke. No charging at the resorts that now charge for parking is an insult.
I have noticed that the Orange Garage chargers have replaced the Chargepoint with Nova Charge which are nice new J1772 chargers. Of course I had trouble activating them, after much trial and error and no help from customer support I managed to get a charge.
Bottom line, Disney needs to seriously upgrade their charging infrastructure. The current situation is a joke.
Does anyone know how to productively communicate with Disney management?

• Love
Reactions: voxel and BrownMS