Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys

hoping for some advice here.

I just took delivery of my new Tesla S 75 about 2 weeks ago and I'm really unhappy with it.

I won't go into the details as to what I'm unhappy about, but i want to return it to Tesla. It has 200 miles on it.

I've already been in touch with Tesla and they've offered to try and fix the problems which i know they won't be able to because they are part of the programming and they've also given me the whole bog standard we won't take it back line.

My question is, what do i do? I don't want to sell it privately because i will lose thousands and thousands of dollars including the $4000 in sales tax i already paid when i took delivery of it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

By programming, the most obvious guess as to what's making you unhappy would likely be the current state of autopilot. Even if that's not the reason, I would advise you to wait it out since programming issues can be sorted out with future software updates which is one of the unique features about buying a Tesla. I purchased my S 90D knowing what it can do at the present state and not for the promise of FSD since that still has a long way to go. I don't consider myself a "beta-tester" since I use autopilot with a share of common sense knowing what it can and cannot do and I'm satisfied with its performance, knowing it will keep getting better. If you find that software updates down the road won't be able to fix your issue or you find to them to be too slow, then I hope you're successful in selling your car without incurring too much depreciation.

Hi Guys

I just took delivery of my new Tesla S 75 about 2 weeks ago and I'm really unhappy with it.
My question is, what do i do?

Sorry to hear you are unhappy. Not terribly clear what kind of solution you are asking for. Your post represents the classic new-car dilemma--The drive home in a new car is likely the most expensive trip you'll ever make in it. If you have explored return/buy-back options with Tesla and were dissatisfied with the options available - then please be more specific with what sort of information you would like assistance with?

You describe the "problems" as being "part of the programming" - but I'm sure you would agree that's pretty ambiguous. Details might help others here be more helpful.

I don't know what sort of magic solution you think we have. You basically only have three ways out, as I think you already know - sell it privately, taking a big hit (likely bigger than you're thinking, since the car won't be eligible for a federal tax credit when you sell it,) convince Tesla to do a buy back (generally only happens for serious problems with the car that they can't fix,) or follow your state's lemon laws if Tesla isn't able to fix problems.

Or you can keep the car and wait for a firmware update to improve the situation. The incremental cost for keeping it goes down every month (compared to selling it - you rapidly lose any chance of either buy back or lemon law,) and I think you'll discover the car has a number of redeeming characteristics that might change your overall opinion of the car...

What issues did you have that make you say that?

Hi Guys

I won't go into the details as to what I'm unhappy about, but i want to return it to Tesla. It has 200 miles on it.

I've already been in touch with Tesla and they've offered to try and fix the problems which i know they won't be able to because they are part of the programming and they've also given me the whole bog standard we won't take it back line.

My question is, what do i do? I don't want to sell it privately because i will lose thousands and thousands of dollars including the $4000 in sales tax i already paid when i took delivery of it.

thanks

Hi Guys

thanks

As others have said, without a little more detail it is difficult to offer more specific help.
All states have a 'grace' period in which you can return the car, no questions asked. However, I believe 3 days is typical. I doubt any are a couple of weeks.
Programming issues, if I understand you, are the easiest to fix.
As for selling it privately, you likely lost at least 10 thousand dollars the moment you signed the title. Your best shot is to work with Tesla on the issue rather than trying to work around them.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna and KJD
Envoke the lemon law if appropriate and they can’t fix it.

This is the right answer.

They have no obligation to take it back unless you have some legal recourse. Of course they can always take it back as a matter of goodwill but don't bank on it.

I returned a Lexus pursuant the New Jersey's very generous Lemon Law. Look up the Lemon Law in Florida and make sure you understand it.

NJ's Law was if your car was in the shop for 20 CUMULATIVE days in the first 2 years of ownership and you had less than x miles, you could return the car provided you sent the manufacturer written notice by registered mail. I exchanged a 2007 IS350 and got a 2008 IS350 in a matter of weeks.

• Disagree
Reactions: diesel
This is the right answer.

They have no obligation to take it back unless you have some legal recourse. Of course they can always take it back as a matter of goodwill but don't bank on it.

I returned a Lexus pursuant the New Jersey's very generous Lemon Law. Look up the Lemon Law in Florida and make sure you understand it.

NJ's Law was if your car was in the shop for 20 CUMULATIVE days in the first 2 years of ownership and you had less than x miles, you could return the car provided you sent the manufacturer written notice by registered mail. I exchanged a 2007 IS350 and got a 2008 IS350 in a matter of weeks.
No it's not, op didn't even disclose the issue other than programming.
That could be a variety of things from the screen not functioning properly to him not liking the position of the apps or the layout of the controls.

He also hasn't given tesla a chance to "fix" the issue as he thinks it's unfixable, which makes me think he's just unhappy with some of the functions or lack thereof, rather than there being anything wrong with the car.

No Three-Day Right to Cancel

Many consumers mistakenly believe they have three days to cancel the purchase contract. There is no cooling off period under Florida law

—-
In most states, the 3 day cancel that people assume are part of contracts only pertains to door to door salesman.

Reactions: diesel
Right, you can order a car, have a vehicle manufacturer build it for you, drive it for 3 days, then return it "no questions asked". That makes sense! :rolleyes:

Three-Day Return Period Myth - Can You Return a New Car After Three Days?
Interesting, thank you for that information. I thought it was a state law.
All I can say, is that the last two non-tesla vehicles I have bought, I specifically was told, and signed paperwork indicating I could return the car, no questions asked, within three days.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Interesting, thank you for that information. I thought it was a state law.
All I can say, is that the last two non-tesla vehicles I have bought, I specifically was told, and signed paperwork indicating I could return the car, no questions asked, within three days.
A dealer is welcome to write that into their contact as a way of enticing business. I believe there was a dealer near me that allowed returns, but there were conditions (costs, mileage limits, etc)

Well, there is one other option...
if you financed it, volunteely repo it. Bank will auction it off, you get left with the bill for whatever the remaining balance the bank couldn't recover. Step 2. Ignore the latters, have it go to collections.
Step 3. Dispute the collections and have it removed from credit.
Step 4. Go out and buy the car you really want/can afford and the rest is history lol

I'm not condoning such actions and I sure won't tell you a 19 year old version of me did such a thing.

On a serious note,
I hope who ever buys it at auction really enjoys it

This brings up a good point about autonomous cars in the future. If you're not satisfied with the EAP and FSD capabilities or the car's programming with them being more packed with technology, are there laws to return the car back even if the car prevents accidents as intended? Tesla addressed this issue once before with a customer who filed for lemon law after being frustrated with his Model X's falcon-winged doors and auto-parking software features. They brought it back but then rolled out an OTA software update to resolve the issue for other unhappy owners. So, in essence Tesla can keep rolling out software updates to address any software associated defects and bypass lemon law that way.

Well, there is one other option...
if you financed it, volunteely repo it. Bank will auction it off, you get left with the bill for whatever the remaining balance the bank couldn't recover. Step 2. Ignore the latters, have it go to collections.
Step 3. Dispute the collections and have it removed from credit.
Step 4. Go out and buy the car you really want/can afford and the rest is history lol

So what exactly is supposed to be the justification for having it removed from your credit?

In the scenario described, it seems like money you owed, fair and square - and the bank is paying the price for your choices, which hardly seems fair to the bank - if every one takes this approach, pretty soon the bank won't issue any more loans, because they lose money on them.