Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robertjs, a lot of people have posted very good responses but it will really help to know what you don't like about the programming. As others have said here and elsewhere on this forum, Tesla releases updates generally a few times a year, free of charge, and you can update your car right from your driveway or parking space (just be sure you don't need to go anywhere for 1 - 2 hours while the update is installed). Updates sometimes add new features too such as Autopilot Level 5, which is expected possibly next year or earlier. I hope you decide to keep your Tesla.

Yeah, it's silly. Lemon law only applies when your vehicle does not function like it is supposed to. Bitching about Autopilot is a far-fetched argument for lemon law - as every other Tesla on the road functions the exact same way. "Working as designed" is not eligible for lemon law. "Not working as designed" and 3x attempting to fix it IS eligible for lemon law. ie. Door handles won't retract after repeated fix attempts.... grinding sound won't go away after repeated attempts to fix it... etc.

What is it with so many people pushing the lemon law
We don't know what the problem is!

New poster: hey guys I have a problem with the car!!!

Reply 1: lemon law
Reply 2; lemon law
Reply 3: lemon law

New poster: sorry forgot to finish, how do I turn off auto present door handles?

Reply 4: ..... lemon law

I think people are responding that way since it is the only known way to get a manufacturer to buy back a vehicle (original poster's request). Whether this situation qualifies is unknown.

I find this somewhat suspicious. For a first post at TMC, someone doesn't like the car and will not explain what exactly is wrong with the car and why they expect and deserve a refund.

I believe we are being played here and wasting our time unless the OP provides additional details.

OP may never have had a reason to find a forum or post previously.

The post is only 5 hours old, maybe OP is doing something else today? Has not logged in since to even see anyone's questions, let alone ignore them.

So what exactly is supposed to be the justification for having it removed from your credit?

In the scenario described, it seems like money you owed, fair and square - and the bank is paying the price for your choices, which hardly seems fair to the bank - if every one takes this approach, pretty soon the bank won't issue any more loans, because they lose money on them.

That is why I said I wouldn't condone it. I was young and stupid when I did just that. That was about 11 years ago now.

Also, don't you remember the big housing market crash where thousands of people defaulted on their mortgage? Guess what happened after that? Lenders still lended. People default everyday on auto loans, student loans, medical bills, etc and don't attend to pay a dollar back. If this didn't happen on an everyday occurrence, dept collectors and credit repair companies would be out of a job.

I, at the time took advantage of this system (like many) and knew how to repair my credit and continue on with my life at that age. The justification at the time for me was to 1. get out of a car I simply couldn't make my payments on and 2. Recover fast out of it and not pay outrageous interest for the car I could afford

That is why I said I wouldn't condone it. I was young and stupid when I did just that.
Well we've certainly all been there. My wife says the "young" part is now the only part that isn't true any more.

A quote from Robert E. Lee:
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

To the OP, I don't see any way out of this that won't cost you 10's of $1,000s, since the only information I have is a) you don't like the car and b) you drove it. It's not like a dress you can wear to a party then return it the next day saying it doesn't fit (kidding! and no, I've never done that).

Yeah, it's silly. Lemon law only applies when your vehicle does not function like it is supposed to. Bitching about Autopilot is a far-fetched argument for lemon law - as every other Tesla on the road functions the exact same way. "Working as designed" is not eligible for lemon law. "Not working as designed" and 3x attempting to fix it IS eligible for lemon law. ie. Door handles won't retract after repeated fix attempts.... grinding sound won't go away after repeated attempts to fix it... etc.
Easy to use lemon law on Tesla. If it's an AP2 hw car, just bring it back to "fix" the automatic wipers so that they work as described in the user manual. I seriously doubt they'll get it working in 20 days. Auto-wipers feature by the way did not come with the same "you will get it some time before the end of time" fine print as EAP or FSD, so you can't use the "it's coming soon" excuse.

Hi Guys

hoping for some advice here.

I just took delivery of my new Tesla S 75 about 2 weeks ago and I'm really unhappy with it.

I won't go into the details as to what I'm unhappy about, but i want to return it to Tesla. It has 200 miles on it.

I've already been in touch with Tesla and they've offered to try and fix the problems which i know they won't be able to because they are part of the programming and they've also given me the whole bog standard we won't take it back line.

My question is, what do i do? I don't want to sell it privately because i will lose thousands and thousands of dollars including the $4000 in sales tax i already paid when i took delivery of it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

They used to have the happiness guarantee with the lease, but I don't believe they still do that.

I wish they did as nothing is worse than an unhappy owner. it's a bad situation for both parties involved.

As to actual advise I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. I'm not a strong believer of invoking the lemon law unless there is truly something wrong with the car. It doesn't sound like it.

I would also recommend giving the car a chance. I do feel as if it will eventually grow on you, and whatever issue you have with it won't seem like a big deal. Or it will become part of your relationship with the car.

Like I have a Netatmo Welcome that I truly despise, but over time it's become part of my life. Where I've had "wtf are you doing??" moments with it and moments of "oh, I'm glad it captured this moment".

I still regularly give it the middle finger though. :)

and I'm designing it's replacement right now because of my hate for it. Where I've learned the root cause of my hate for it, and I'm making mine not have those deficiencies.

Last edited:
Assuming this is a genuine thread (and there have been several in this style that are clearly not)

I just think it is a shame that the OP apparently would spend this sort of money and decide within a few days they are not happy with the purchase.

Whilst the OP does not provide any info as to the nature of the "programming" issue they find so serious as to wish to return the car, as a general point I am surprised over and over at how many people will drop this kind of money on a car purchase without researching it, test dirving it, ensuring they are happy with it first.

No product is without its flaws, I have complained about eg AP2 behaviour myself as an example, only to find the issue largely fixed 2 builds and a month later, overall though the ModelS remains in a class of its own so to reject it on a "programming" issue alone is a somewhat narrow take on the whole. There is so much more to enjoy with this car that simply is not available elsewhere.

Reactions: gavine and MP3Mike