Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted: dummy socket for male end of type 2 cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m after a dummy socket that I can put next to my untethered charger to accept a type two cable male plug (ie the end that would go into the charger).

I will soon have a PHEV and a model 3 on the drive, so 2 different cables requiring swapping around and thought this would be a neat solution.

I bought a dummy type 2 socket from alibaba but it turns out will only accept the car end (female end) of the cable and I’m struggling to find something suitable that’s available to buy. Any ideas?

I've used a slightly customised one of these to hang my UMC cable car end - could it be customised for the other end?
J1772 type 2 holder with cable spool by erroneus

searching for J1772 brings up lots of options, some (Wall Dock for J1772 EV Charge Cable by jellofrog) which look like they might be what you are looking for?

If you don't have a printer, a local maker space or library might, or you can order them to be printed online (a bit high risk tho, just from time and effort being wasted if its not quite right). Or people on here might offer to do you a print for the pennies cost of printing and the (greater) cost of postage. I would, but my printer is out of action just now.

Not sure why you're doing this. Leave the charger/cable set up with a J1772 cable and when you charge the M3, use the J1772 adapter that comes with the M3.

To try and explain further, I have one untethered type 2 charger socket and two cables, one type 1 to type 2 for the PHEV, one type 2 to type 2. Both will remain on the drive

The two ends of the type 2 cable are definitely different!

upload_2020-2-17_22-33-41.jpeg

I think what I’m going to do is wall mount the dust cap from one of the type 2 male ends and see how that goes.

Attachments

• 671536C9-5D3B-40FA-97A9-27D8B4A8F825.jpeg
    671536C9-5D3B-40FA-97A9-27D8B4A8F825.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 73