Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning!! 2021.4.6 - autosteer disengages without input!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the same issue, at one particular place. Its on a well marked sweeping curve on a rather narrow and unforgiving tree lined road, and just disengages with a chime and no other warning. It seems quite dangerous as you need to take control immediately to get around the bend. I just downloaded 2021.4.10, so will test whether its fixed on my way home from work.
Thanks for confirming & thereby warning others. It would be exceedingly dangerous if the disengagement occurred on your curve at the exact same time as oncoming traffic
Which model do you have?
My fault occurs on X, but not 3. Both have FSD computers

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming & thereby warning others. It would be exceedingly dangerous if the disengagement occurred on your curve at the exact same time as oncoming traffic
Which model do you have?
My fault occurs on X, but not 3. Both have FSD computers

Mine is a model 3. The curve is to the right, so if i don't take over quickly, the car is in the trees, not oncoming traffic.

Thanks. Just had a 350km drive today. Repeatedly happened on curves.
Lean towards torque sensor being the issue, but I am interested in your experience as it seems your problem started recently also?

Mine only had disengagements over the last week or so, but only in one place that I can recall. It happened at that one place multiple times though. I updated to 2021.4.10 yesterday, and it didn't disengage there on my way home yesterday. Fingers crossed.

I posted on another thread. My AP was engaged for about 6 miles. Just AP, one hand on lower left steering wheel, Hard breaking and loud warning out of nowhere. I shook the wheel and hit breaks to disengage. No one around except for a car 500 yards back. I have version 2021 4.6. Maybe mine is something different,

I posted on another thread. My AP was engaged for about 6 miles. Just AP, one hand on lower left steering wheel, Hard breaking and loud warning out of nowhere. I shook the wheel and hit breaks to disengage. No one around except for a car 500 yards back. I have version 2021 4.6. Maybe mine is something different,
Thats just classic phantom braking. I’ve had that since tesla decided to invent their own autopilot.

Hint: What time of day?
I find that driving into the low bright sun (AM/PM) causes problems with lane detection and occassional "here, you take over" behaviour.
Perhaps you can beep the horn to save the dash cam footage? Interesting to note the captured view of front windscreen camera.

I find that driving into the low bright sun (AM/PM) causes problems with lane detection and occassional "here, you take over" behaviour.
Perhaps you can beep the horn to save the dash cam footage? Interesting to note the captured view of front windscreen camera.
Warnings should come on while it meanders, not disengage autosteer altogether as if the steering wheel or brake pedal has been moved

Probably the third time I've had to mention it in this thread, but we're not talking about "take over immediately" alarm, we're talking about the "ding-dong", as if you just moved the steering wheel to disengage AP, but tacc is still on.

Any further feedback?
I still haven’t got .10
I haven't driven much over the last few days, a
Any further feedback?
I still haven’t got .10[/QU
Just got 2021.4.11
Hasn’t fixed the problem. So must be steering torque sensor & hence pure coincidence

Bugger. I haven't driven much in the last week, and haven't been on the road where my disengagements were happening, so don't have any new feedback.

Wouldn't a steering torque sensor issue result in more nags to apply more force to the steering wheel rather than just disengaging without warning?

Could be my imagination, but I've noticed since recent updates my steering wheel sensor seems more sensitive - it disengages AP with the slightest tug. It's an AP1 Model S, 2020.48.37.1, so probably not relevant to the OP's problem, but it means they might be tweaking things related to the sensor.

Could be my imagination, but I've noticed since recent updates my steering wheel sensor seems more sensitive - it disengages AP with the slightest tug. It's an AP1 Model S, 2020.48.37.1, so probably not relevant to the OP's problem, but it means they might be tweaking things related to the sensor.
Tesla Service Centre technician told me 2 years ago that the torque input sensor sensitivity is factory set, after I requested them to increase the sensitivity (the Model X loaner they provided required less input). Maybe I was lied to.

Maybe you weren't. The steering system has 4 torque sensors forming two redundant systems. They are not serviceable and if faulty the steering rack needs replacing. Tesla can sure as hell modify the threshold at which any of the steering torque related functions occur by software without touching the hardware.

Sounds like a faulty torque sensor in your steering wheel. Going from AP engaged to TACC only with the ding-dong chime is what normally happens when you start turning the steering wheel with AP engaged. The vibrations in the road or weight of the wheel itself is tripping yours way too easily.

Other people here aren't reading the details and I can see why you're frustrated. "Tapping the brake" would disengage TACC. Bad lane lines or dirty cameras would trigger the "Take over immediately" alarm. The only thing that makes TACC stay on with just a ding-dong chime when AP disengages is turning the wheel. So time for a service center visit to replace the torque sensor! It's not the first time a user in this site has seen this issue

Ended up that tech has narrowed it down to a faulty steering shaft which will need to be replaced
It also had significant front wheel misalignment, which has since been corrected. The wheel alignment correction has made a significant improvement, but it still disengages without warning, so hopefully the steering shaft replacement fixes the problem entirely

It does make you wonder how Tesla will handle this problem for robotaxis. I can only think they would have to slam on the brakes, when the disengagement occurs (the same as someone reaching over to the steering wheel & turning it). It’s a real concern that there is no forewarning

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Ended up that tech has narrowed it down to a faulty steering shaft which will need to be replaced
It also had significant front wheel misalignment, which has since been corrected. The wheel alignment correction has made a significant improvement, but it still disengages without warning, so hopefully the steering shaft replacement fixes the problem entirely

It does make you wonder how Tesla will handle this problem for robotaxis. I can only think they would have to slam on the brakes, when the disengagement occurs (the same as someone reaching over to the steering wheel & turning it). It’s a real concern that there is no forewarning
I wouldn’t be too concerned about how a robo taxi will work. Its many years and models away.

Sorry, coming to this thread late because my 2016 MX didn't have the problem. My newly purchased used 2020 MX definitely has it. It disengages repeatedly on clear road, without warning. 5 or 6 or 7 times in under 5 minutes. Indefinitely if I keep trying. Yes, I'm putting firm torque on the steering wheel. 100% of the time. But I think I may have found a solution (at least for my 2020 MX): USE IT EVERY DAY!! Frequent use on consecutive days seems to fix it! Don't know for sure yet. Can Tesla Service even begin to work on this? I haven't bothered till I get some data.