Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING against Michelin Cross Climate+ Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agreed.

My OEM Pirelli snow tires last longer than the Continental OEMs, and I had a similar tire failure to what is described in the recall.

Last summer, my left had some kind of belt separation internally that caused the tire to shudder weirdly, kept checking the lug nuts as I drove across the country thinking they were coming loose. I didn’t discover the real root cause (belts deforming the tire) until the wobble got so bad I pulled over and discovered massive non-uniform tire wear, balding in some spots and not in others (eg randomly around the circumference, not laterally). I was probably <2miles from a blowout, found a friendly tire guy in western Nebraska, he stayed open past closing and put a used 275/45/20 on to get me home.

These OEM Conti’s are terrible.

agreed.

My OEM Pirelli snow tires last longer than the Continental OEMs, and I had a similar tire failure to what is described in the recall.

Last summer, my left had some kind of belt separation internally that caused the tire to shudder weirdly, kept checking the lug nuts as I drove across the country thinking they were coming loose. I didn’t discover the real root cause (belts deforming the tire) until the wobble got so bad I pulled over and discovered massive non-uniform tire wear, balding in some spots and not in others (eg randomly around the circumference, not laterally). I was probably <2miles from a blowout, found a friendly tire guy in western Nebraska, he stayed open past closing and put a used 275/45/20 on to get me home.

These OEM Conti’s are terrible.
I couldn't agree more.

Continental: The most expensive poor quality tires you can buy.

I have been running Hankook tires for the past several years. They are almost half the price, quieter, perform better, and last longer.
I have had them on the X, Y, and 3. Oh, and the Hankooks are sticky too. I raced them at PBIR, besting a URUS, and I set the world's quickest SUV record on my 1/4 mile track debut. Solid tire.

I wouldn't put Contis on my grandchild's little red wagon. They are disgusting. Not a penny from warranty either. Ghosts. Get them off of your expensive investment, before your family gets hurt. The one in the picture blew on the way home from Tesla Service Center, where it was inspected and deemed in good shape. The Model X was put on a flatbed and taken 49 miles back to Tesla, where I had the privilege of paying $400 for another Conti piece of junk. They said they would retain the tire for warranty purposes. One week later it had disappeared. Avoid Contis like the plague.

Even Tesla is using Hankook as OEM tires for some models now.

Attachments

• Continental Model X.jpeg
    Continental Model X.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 59