Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: P85D scam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are multiple listings that I have found on both national and local listings around the U.S. for a Used P85D with fairly low miles.

The pictures vary and are listed in multiple colors, but the price (40-42k) and description are roughly the same.

Once you make contact the "seller" will try to get you to go through a broker as he has moved to the UK for a pilot job. Oddly the replies I have received cite different airlines, but the sellers name remains that same (Kevin Reynolds). The first of these almost had me, but the broker I was referred to was the now defunct Beepi. A few days later their site went down, and these listings are still getting replies.

I would hate to see one of us pay up for one of these cars to never have anything delivered.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
I, too, have been in touch with one Kevin Reynolds about a month ago. I pressed him for further details and I assume he couldn't answer the specifics because he kept referring me to the original listing.

Many scams out there and Tesla is not the only subject so those in the market for ANYTHING should exercise caution and if your gut tells you something may be up... it is. There's far too many options out there to go with anything that doesn't feel 100% trustworthy. I've walked away from many "very good deals" and several were even at dealerships. It's not just private party "sellers" trying to scam other people but lots of dealerships out there will do anything for money too.

Caveat emptor

That's a real place, at least as far as Google Maps is concerned. Doesn't mean they aren't scam artists.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 8.34.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 8.34.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 8.34.14 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Here's a 2015 P90DL scam that's been floating around on most major city CL pages as well as on CarGurus. Their website looks semi-legit but it appears that they are likely collecting personal info/data through their loan app process. Beware...(Platinum Motorsports LLC)

Here's an example of the same car on CL: 2015 Tesla Model S P90D

Exactly. If you put in the VIN into ev-cpo, it's a different car. It says it's red and no Ludicrous

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Exactly. If you put in the VIN into ev-cpo, it's a different car. It says it's red and no Ludicrous

That's exactly what I did, too. A simple search of the VIN on ev-cpo may show differences if the scammers opted to pull the vin from a Tesla's used car listings to make it look more legit. Everyone should ask to take a test drive of the car, regardless if you are located across the country, because it reveals the scammers delay/reschedule tactics once you nail down a location/time. If it feels fishy, it most likely is.

• Informative
That's exactly what I did, too. A simple search of the VIN on ev-cpo may show differences if the scammers opted to pull the vin from a Tesla's used car listings to make it look more legit. Everyone should ask to take a test drive of the car, regardless if you are located across the country, because it reveals the scammers delay/reschedule tactics once you nail down a location/time. If it feels fishy, it most likely is.

And it's even on eBay, too!

2015 Tesla Model S P90D | eBay

• Informative